Confirmed Signing with Link: [TBL] Tampa re-signs J.T. Miller (5 years, $5.25M AAV)

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I like Miller

Aside from the crap that he gets from some, I think hes earned this nice contract.

Good deal for player and team.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Miller just had a 59 point season, 2nd straight 50 point season for him. Brayden Schenn just had his first 50 point season, 59 just like Miller and signed for 5.125. Nino Niederreiter had his first 50 point season, 57, and signed for the same 5.25. Mika Zidanejad has had one 50 point season, 51, in his career and makes 5.35. Reilly Smith had two 50 point seasons also, 51 for a high, and makes 5mil. I could go on but players in their mid 20's who have shown something and have potential are getting 5+ and it will be more as the cap goes up.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
JT Miller is probably the worst playoff performer in recent history relative to his regular season.

3 goals in 57 playoff games sweet baby jesus.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Let’s not forget the possibility that Yzerman is simply signing Miller to bring him back for one more season before trading him next summer. Miller reportedly only has an eight-team list to which he can block a trade (which doesn’t kick in until next July anyway) and assuming he plays with Stamkos and Kucherov all season should put up enough production to be easily tradeable; the reasonably short term helps in that regard as well. If Johnson either isn’t moved before July 1 or is moved for a defenseman making a comparable amount of money then we’ll know that’s probably what Yzerman is doing here.

Reactions: AmbulanceChaser

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
5.25 for Miller is nuts.

56 and 58 points in back to back seasons, most likely 60+ next year and signed through his entire prime, please do tell.

Would love to think what you think a 55-60 point forward signed through ages 25-30 with increased production every year since he's been in the league should get, is he 2m overpaid? 3? maybe 4? considering this is "nuts" right?

Watch the Rangers sign Namesnitkov for 4-4.5m, now that'd be hilarious.

Reactions: DaBolts

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
How can anyone say this is an overpayment? This is a fair to good deal in a rising cap world for a 25 goal, 60 point player in his prime. I don't get the dislike for this deal outside of it taking them out of the Tavares sweepstakes.

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
Not jealous of that deal, but on the other hand I’ve never really liked him, to many bone headed passes in his own zone over the years in NY. Not a very intelligent player imo. The contract is not that bad considering the production, it’s his overall game I’m not a big fan of and why I wouldn’t sign him to those terms.

Matt24

Apr 8, 2013
How can anyone say this is an overpayment? This is a fair to good deal in a rising cap world for a 25 goal, 60 point player in his prime. I don't get the dislike for this deal outside of it taking them out of the Tavares sweepstakes.
Because he blows in the playoffs and Tampa's trying to win a Cup. I don’t hate the deal, but it’s not really complicated to see the disdain for it.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
56 and 58 points in back to back seasons, most likely 60+ next year and signed through his entire prime, please do tell.

Would love to think what you think a 55-60 point forward signed through ages 25-30 with increased production every year since he's been in the league should get, is he 2m overpaid? 3? maybe 4? considering this is "nuts" right?

Watch the Rangers sign Namesnitkov for 4-4.5m, now that'd be hilarious.

You realize he's been a Ranger for far longer than a Lightning, right? I'd be furious if we signed him to this deal and I'd be furious if we signed Names for that price as well.

There are certain guys that I just wouldn't want on my team. Miller is one of them.

Reactions: third man in

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
He's a low hockey sense player who is terrible in the playoffs. 58 points in the regular season is pretty decent, just don't like the player very much. If Tampa fans like it, I guess that's what matters.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
The only way this becomes a bad deal is if there is a NMC or NTC involved.

Think he has just a modified NTC with a list of 8 or so 'no trade' teams that doesn't kick in until after next season.

Everyone was too busy worshipping Yzerman at the deadline to consider why Gorton traded him.

:rolleyes: Most of us were "worshipping" Yzerman because we were thrilled that he snagged McDonagh since we all felt our defense needed the boost of another #1D level defenseman. Miller was just a last minute throw in by Gorton so most of us didn't expect much out of him at all.

Then came the after-TDL regular season and it was Miller who performed well above expectations, especially considering the various reports we got from Ranger fans, while McDonagh did not impress nearly as much. o_O

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
He's a low hockey sense player who is terrible in the playoffs. 58 points in the regular season is pretty decent, just don't like the player very much. If Tampa fans like it, I guess that's what matters.

He's easily one of the most polarizing players around. When you look at the stats sheet you see a completely different player than the guy on the ice.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

A low IQ player that produces at a pretty high level. He's a poor playoff performer but contracts aren't handed out based purely on playoff performance, that's only a small factor when lining up comparables.
I get it though, sometimes stats can be deceiving bit you're not getting a player with those numbers for under 5

Reactions: Sky04

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He's easily one of the most polarizing players around. When you look at the stats sheet you see a completely different player than the guy on the ice.

Not really, when he had PPG numbers he played like a stud, when he had 0.5PPG numbers he played much worse - seems like he plays exactly how his stat sheet reflects.....

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Not really, when he had PPG numbers he played like a stud, when he had 0.5PPG numbers he played much worse - seems like he plays exactly how his stat sheet reflects.....

. . . right. He's a bipolar, streaky player. Literally what Rangers fans said you guys were getting. He's a maddening player to cheer for since he could easily be more if he wanted to.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
A low IQ player that produces at a pretty high level. He's a poor playoff performer but contracts aren't handed out based purely on playoff performance, that's only a small factor when lining up comparables.
I get it though, sometimes stats can be deceiving bit you're not getting a player with those numbers for under 5
I understand most comps are for reg season. It's up to the GM to move the player if he doesn't perform in the playoffs. Not tie up precious cap space with that type of player. I guess some idiot GM will take him off their hands next year. Like getting Oshie for Troy Brouwer. That was a playoff chump as well.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Can the Rangers fans shut up about him already? Maybe it was frustrating for you that he was streaky because he was one of your only good forwards. He isn't the main guy on our team so as long as he produces the necessary points he can disappear all he wants.

Kind of reminds me on how our fans seem to hate Killorn because of his inconsistency while in reality it doesn't matter as long as he gets his usual 40 points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad