Confirmed Trade: [TBL/SJS] Barclay Goodrow, 2020 3rd round pick for Anthony Greco, 2020 1st round pick

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Eh I'm critical of the deal but that's an overstatement. After pick ~35 in the draft, there isn't a whole lot of difference with draft position. Teams aren't operating off of the ISS list at that point.
The same can be said with picks after 15. Im in the camp that 1st should have been used for a rental that could play up to the 1st line if needed. Lose Stammer, Kuch or Point and the playoffs end up like last season when they just phoned in during round 1. Coleman and Goodrow are nice in the bottom 6 but we have ample guys down there. even Stephens or Verhagee 5 to 7 minutes a night is not going to kill you in the playoffs.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Goodrow is having a good season, that doesn't make him better than Maroon.

Right now Goodrow is as good or better in nearly every facet of the game. Maroon has more to give than what he has shown, but at this point in time I don't see how anyone could call him a better player. He's had a more successful career so far, but I'd much rather have Goodrow on the ice than Maroon.

Reactions: themelkman

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
This trade (and the Coleman one) make a lot more sense after BriseBois' press conference.

Basically they were looking for 2 forwards with grit and additional year in their contracts with good cap hits for next year when cap gets really rough.

Nothing surprising there, but the 2 forwards they identified were Coleman and Goodrow. With such specific needs and neither the Devils or the Sharks needing to trade either of those players, it was basically a situation the Bolts decided to force these teams hands to get the guys they wanted.

Hell of a price to pay for 2 two guys, but at the same time it's much more understandable considering how they targeted them and there weren't really any alternatives that fit the bill.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
This trade (and the Coleman one) make a lot more sense after BriseBois' press conference.

Basically they were looking for 2 forwards with grit and additional year in their contracts with good cap hits for next year when cap gets really rough.

Nothing surprising there, but the 2 forwards they identified were Coleman and Goodrow. With such specific needs and neither the Devils or the Sharks needing to trade either of those players, it was basically a situation the Bolts decided to force these teams hands to get the guys they wanted.

Hell of a price to pay for 2 two guys, but at the same time it's much more understandable considering how much they wanted them.

I dont like the price but when you consider the needs it makes more sense. Tampa has been criticized endlessly about their size and cap structure. These moves help with both.

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019
The same can be said with picks after 15. Im in the camp that 1st should have been used for a rental that could play up to the 1st line if needed. Lose Stammer, Kuch or Point and the playoffs end up like last season when they just phoned in during round 1. Coleman and Goodrow are nice in the bottom 6 but we have ample guys down there. even Stephens or Verhagee 5 to 7 minutes a night is not going to kill you in the playoffs.
In theory I agree, but in practice there was not a rental worth having and certainly not at the expense of further complicating next year's cap issues facing TB

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I dont like the price but when you consider the needs it makes more sense. Tampa has been criticized endlessly about their size and cap structure. These moves help with both.

Yeah, at some point gotta respect the staff that work with this team every day. If they feel this is what they needed to win then who am i to criticize.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

Pretty much how I see it too. If you needed a replacement on your 4th line so badly you HAD to give away a 1st for a new guy then your team probably didn’t deserve to win the Cup. One 4th line guy playing ~10min a game is not going to make or break your cup chances.

Obviously winning the Cup will make this deal irrelevant but doesn’t change that it’s a MASSIVE overpayment.

Cousins was had for a 4th.
Shore for a soon to be bust
Simmonds for a 5th
Ennis for a 5th
Grant for a 4th
Thompson for a 5th
Namestnikov for a 4th
Eakin for a 4th
Goodrow for a 1st

Anyone else notice one of these is out of place?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Pretty much how I see it too. If you needed a replacement on your 4th line so badly you HAD to give away a 1st for a new guy then your team probably didn’t deserve to win the Cup. One 4th line guy playing ~10min a game is not going to make or break your cup chances.

Obviously winning the Cup will make this deal irrelevant but doesn’t change that it’s a MASSIVE overpayment.

Simmonds for a 5th
Ennis for a 5th
Grant for a 4th
Thompson for a 5th
Namestnikov for a 4th
Eakin for a 4th
Goodrow for a 1st

TBF Goodrow is better than every person above him on that list.

I love the arguments in here though, like anyone is claiming it wasn't an overpayment.

Reactions: Gecklund

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
TBF Goodrow is better than every person above him on that list.

I love the arguments in here though, like anyone is claiming it wasn't an overpayment.

He might be moderately better than some listed above, which is debatable on its own, but absolutely no way is he worth the big discrepancy in picks between the average 4th line guy and what he received.

It’s just funny watching Tampa fans try and defend it when there is really nothing to defend. It’s Paul Gaustad for a 1st bad.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
He might be moderately better than some listed above, which is debatable on its own, but absolutely no way is he worth the big discrepancy in picks between the average 4th line guy and what he received.

It’s just funny watching Tampa fans try and defend it when there is really nothing to defend. It’s Paul Gaustad for a 1st bad.
That strawman doesn't stand a chance against you bro.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
You're arguing against a point no one is making. That's a strawman brochacho.

What point is that? Read through the thread and you’ll see all kinds of Tampa fans saying it’s not an overpayment . Classic lines like “the 1st is basically a early second and the 3rd is basically a late second” so we barely dropped spots :laugh:

It's a misrepresentation to say this is Goodrow for a 1st. It's not. It's Goodrow and a 3rd for a 1st and he's likely to be a 3rd liner.

Sorry Goodrow and a 3rd for a 1st... that somehow redeems it and makes it close? Interesting theory.

There’s been really no indication he’s a 3rd liner...

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
The Lightning are shhhtacked, but why do I keep seeing certain Lightning fans penciling Coleman in as a centre. he's not going to play centre there. yes, Off topic

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta

Simmonds for a 5th
Ennis for a 5th
Grant for a 4th
Thompson for a 5th
Namestnikov for a 4th
Eakin for a 4th
Goodrow for a 1st

One of these is a lot better, not a rental, and younger

Reactions: Zwui21

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Sorry Goodrow and a 3rd for a 1st... that somehow redeems it and makes it close? Interesting theory.

I didn't say it redeems it or makes it close but it's kind of an important detail to leave out which was likely the intention. The implication of a 1st for Goodrow is a lot different than the implication of a 1st for Goodrow and a 3rd. Moving back two rounds for a 3rd liner is not nearly as bad as trading a 1st rounder for a 3rd liner.

And yeah, there absolutely has been indication that he's a 3rd liner. He's played like one this season. Take it from the many who have watched him this season and will undoubtedly say so.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
One of these is a lot better, not a rental, and younger
A lot better? You mean the guy with a career high 17pts before given extra ice time he doesn’t deserve because SJ had so many injuries and still didn’t produce any better, or worse, than Ennis, Grant, Namestnikov, Cousins or Eakins?

He’s also 27 so the age part is really irrelevant... it’s not like he’s some young guy with untapped potential.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
The Lightning are shhhtacked, but why do I keep seeing certain Lightning fans penciling Coleman in as a centre. he's not going to play centre there. yes, Off topic
I think he *can* play Center, but yeah - he's not even lining up as a C now.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
What point is that? Read through the thread and you’ll see all kinds of Tampa fans saying it’s not an overpayment . Classic lines like “the 1st is basically a early second and the 3rd is basically a late second” so we barely dropped spots :laugh:

You make it sound like tampa fans are drooling over these trades. Maybe they are just looking at the bright positive sides of this trade. I dont see any tampa fans happy they gave up their first round draft picks but they are now trying to see what is good about this deal which there is some to like. I dont see the issue with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad