Confirmed Trade: [TBL/SJS] Anthony Duclair and 2025 7th round pick for Jack Thompson and 2024 3rd round pick

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019
To me this is worse than the Jeannot trade. Duclair isn't even worth the 3rd alone yet adding our best defensive prospect. The team needs cheap talent and he would have been ready for a spot next season.
Hose I expect better from you. There’s no doubt that Thompson has a future in this league but if he was that good, why wasn’t he here in front of Lilleberg or Crozier? Again Duclair has scored 86 goals in his last 4 1/half seasons in this league, and most of that was playing on poor hockey teams, other than Florida. C’mon now

Reactions: Maelmoor

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019
How exactly does this help Tampa? They can't keep the puck out of their net to begin with and are short on Dmen so they go out and get an offensive oriented winger?
It helps to understand that if you don’t have any scoring betond the top two lines, you become a lot easier to defend against. There’s no question Tampa Bay needs better defense but you put a lot of pressure on any defensive unit if you don’t have depth scoring.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Duclair was on a tear just before the trade, had a 2G/2A game against the Stars this week. His defensive game definitely needs some work but he can definitely help drive offense.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
It helps to understand that if you don’t have any scoring betond the top two lines, you become a lot easier to defend against. There’s no question Tampa Bay needs better defense but you put a lot of pressure on any defensive unit if you don’t have depth scoring.

The rangers don't have any scoring beyond their top 2 lines and they're one of the top teams in the league.

This is pure copium for a bad trade that does nothing for Tampa, doesn't address their biggest needs, but only wastes assets in a year they aren't winning anyway

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
The rangers don't have any scoring beyond their top 2 lines and they're one of the top teams in the league.

This is pure copium for a bad trade that does nothing for Tampa, doesn't address their biggest needs, but only wastes assets in a year they aren't winning anyway
Duclair is an upgrade over Sheary ,Watson, and Jeannot. Dumba might be an upgrade over De Hann. JBB really set the bar for improvement very low. IF you are useful you are an improvement whether you are good , average, below average , as long as you are not terrible by nhl standards you are an upgrade.

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019

And if you don’t think the depth scoring isn’t important to everybody, including the New York Rangers, then why did they just trade for both Wennberg and Roslovic? So, you just told on yourself dude and you look pretty stupid in the process. And I suppose it also didn’t occur to you that this trade wasn’t necessarily just for this year. The Lightning found an inexpensive way to add a player with value at a reasonable cost that most likely could stay here on a nee contract in the same fashion that Nick Paul did. There is no way to ascertain whether Stamkos will be here next year so guys like Duclair can be the difference between retooling and having to rebuild. The cost of acquiring him was reasonable. The two teams traded low draft picks, and San Jose gets an unproven player with upside who was third on Tampa Bay Lightning’s defense depth chart

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
And if you don’t think the depth scoring isn’t important to everybody, including the New York Rangers, then why did they just trade for both Wennberg and Roslovic? So, you just told on yourself dude and you look pretty stupid in the process. And I suppose it also didn’t occur to you that this trade wasn’t necessarily just for this year. The Lightning found an inexpensive way to add a player with value at a reasonable cost that most likely could stay here on a nee contract in the same fashion that Nick Paul did. There is no way to ascertain whether Stamkos will be here next year so guys like Duclair can be the difference between retooling and having to rebuild. The cost of acquiring him was reasonable. The two teams traded low draft picks, and San Jose gets an unproven player with upside who was third on Tampa Bay Lightning’s defense depth chart

I told on myself...right. If you think the Rangers brought Wennberg in for depth scoring, you're on crack. He's one of the most defensive minded centermen in the league. They had to replace an injured player at an important defensive position on the team. Something Tampa should have done at the deadline. They tried to get Hanifin and were outbid by Vegas.

Your argument is like putting a set of $10,000 rims on a 2002 Impala with no A/C, a coolant leak and a blown head gasket. Sure, you upgraded the car but there was about 10 other things that needed to be fixed before that.

Tampa is 25th in the league in GA with one of the best goaltenders of this generation but congrats on the depth scoring

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Why would Tampa trade Jack Thompson? He could’ve easily made the team next year.

He’s an A level prospect used to acquire a middle 6/9 guy.

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019
I told on myself...right. If you think the Rangers brought Wennberg in for depth scoring, you're on crack. He's one of the most defensive minded centermen in the league. They had to replace an injured player at an important defensive position on the team. Something Tampa should have done at the deadline. They tried to get Hanifin and were outbid by Vegas.

Your argument is like putting a set of $10,000 rims on a 2002 Impala with no A/C, a coolant leak and a blown head gasket. Sure, you upgraded the car but there was about 10 other things that needed to be fixed before that.

Tampa is 25th in the league in GA with one of the best goaltenders of this generation but congrats on the depth scoring
And I suppose you were in the room with Julien BriseBois when he was trying to get Hanifin. I seriously doubt that was EVER a conversation because (certainly not to be as colorful as you who just likes to hear himself talk) but the lack of assets considering the likely competition for the player would be like bringing a knife to a gunfight. There was no way he was going to give up the 2026 first round draft pick for anyone in this TDL. Your abundant references to crack makes it pretty clear to me you know all about it. So, why don’t you just go worry about your Rangers. I’m sure that’s all your little mind can handle.

Reactions: Master P

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019
Why would Tampa trade Jack Thompson? He could’ve easily made the team next year.

He’s an A level prospect used to acquire a middle 6/9 guy.
The simple answer Lemon is BriseBois owes it the this core to at least get to the playoffs where anything can happen. It would be different if Thompson was further up the depth chart, or if he had traded away higher draft picks. He didn’t plus, I can see a path where either Duclair or Dumba could resign with this team in a retool effort should they lose Stamkos to free agency

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
To me this is worse than the Jeannot trade. Duclair isn't even worth the 3rd alone yet adding our best defensive prospect. The team needs cheap talent and he would have been ready for a spot next season.
Maybe they have someone like Carlile ahead of Jack.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Even if Duclair is a perfect fit, it's absurd to give up one of your top prospects (from an already shallow pool) for a dime a dozen middle 6 winger that's been a UFA almost every year he's been in the league
our prospect pool being so thin is exactly why we can give up one of our top prospects because even if he reaches his ceiling he isn’t gonna be anything special. duclair has already shown more skill in 2 games than most of our forwards in years so if that’s dime a dozen so be it

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Maybe they have someone like Carlile ahead of Jack.

Carlile is a LD so he really wasn't competing with Thompson for a spot. Carlile is gonna be competing with Lilleberg for a 3rd pair or 7th D spot next year.

As for Duclair I'm actually surprised Cooper is using him the way he has. He's doing what Duclair needs and that's to play with high end talent. The thing I worry about is that BriseBois will see this and go offer him some silly 5x5 deal or something soon. I'd sign Duclair for no more than 3 years and 3.33M so a 3 year 10M deal.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
He’s injected life into a team that has looked flat most of the season. I think like most of his trades JBB overpaid and it has turned into a W.

Is the cost appropriate if we make the postseason and can’t get out of the first round and Duclair leaves? Yes probably

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
He’ll provide a good spark, he’s good at providing that. They’ll all be saying Duuuuuke in no time, just remember the above. Not being a dick, it’s just a better fan experience that way lol.
As long as he keeps moving towards the net with speed and doesn't become apathetic like half the team does, he's done his part. We have a Connor Sheary for that already.

Reactions: Laus723

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Duclair was on a tear just before the trade, had a 2G/2A game against the Stars this week. His defensive game definitely needs some work but he can definitely help drive offense.
Everyone keeps saying this but honestly he isn't any worse than like Sheary, or 3 miles behind the play like Jeannot and has the ability to finish so i'm willing to be flexible.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Everyone keeps saying this but honestly he isn't any worse than like Sheary, or 3 miles behind the play like Jeannot and has the ability to finish so i'm willing to be flexible.

Sheary is really bad, though? I like Duke, but that endorsement- “eh, he’s no worse than the worst defending forward you’ve seen.”

Reactions: LTIR Trickery

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Sheary is really bad, though? I like Duke, but that endorsement- “eh, he’s no worse than the worst defending forward you’ve seen.”
Kinda the point, though - he basically only had to be better than guys like Sheary, Essymont, Motte, Glendening. Compared to those, he is a massive upgrade and pushes a few guys back down the lineup a bit. This has so far been a really sneaky good pickup for TB, a team that has been in the red all season when it comes to scoring, carried to this point mostly by a ridiculous season by Kucherov.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I really loved Duke with the Sharks -- super good dude who really took our prospects under his wing. Glad to see he's doing well -- still kinda hopes he comes back and signs with us again over the summer. Either way, enjoy him!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad