Post-Game Talk: TBL @ OTT. Someone hire Tony Robbins Edition

John Holmes*

PoutineSp00nZ

:laugh:

You have no idea how much fun I have right now, it's probably as good as your favorite team winning. Hockey fan tears and captains hindsight. Can't get any better

This team is young, inexperienced and for the most very raw. Playoffs were far from a sure thing. But like most people on earth, HF Sens fans thought that what media says is like gospel. They were gonna fight all season for a playoffs spot. I just want them to fight until the end, even if the chances are now pretty slim. Learn to have some pride

The thing is that you can't pin this trainwreck of a season on the young guys.

Poor coaching is #1 on my list, followed by abysmal showings from veterans like Phillips, Neil, Greening, Spezza and Michalek.

2/3rds of your 1st lime being MIA for most of the season, a guy that barely belongs in the league playing on your #1 PP unit are not a byproduct of the team being young and inexperienced.

Berserker*

In regards to this loss tonight

swansondontcare.gif

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Super glad I decided to volunteer at my kid's school rather than watch this game.

FUN FACT:

Just quickly looking at the numbers today, it seems that Phillips had the fewest minutes on the blueline by far. So that's a plus.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Post game...blah blah blah have to be better...blah blah blah....play harder for longer...blah blah blah. Same old stuff all year by MacLean and the players so they could just play back the tape and skip the interviews.

Before the game TSN1200 radio were doing their best to keep interest going. They said: If the Sens go 10 wins, 2 losses and get 2 loser points they have a 50% chance of making the playoffs. :laugh:

I guess now it's 11, 1 and 2.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Post game...blah blah blah have to be better...blah blah blah....play harder for longer...blah blah blah. Same old stuff all year by MacLean and the players so they could just play back the tape and skip the interviews.

Before the game TSN1200 radio were doing their best to keep interest going. They said: If the Sens go 10 wins, 2 losses and get 2 loser points they have a 50% chance of making the playoffs. :laugh:

I guess now it's 11, 1 and 2.

They might as well say "If the Sens become a totally different team and Lehner is suddenly endowed with Patrick Roy's talent, we can still make the playoffs!".

As for me, after the Alberta debacle, I knew this team was done. I am surprisingly still watching though. Must be the can't look away from car wreck" thing.

misha1976

Mar 2, 2012
Delhi, India
They might as well say "If the Sens become a totally different team and Lehner is suddenly endowed with Patrick Roy's talent, we can still make the playoffs!".

As for me, after the Alberta debacle, I knew this team was done. I am surprisingly still watching though. Must be the can't look away from car wreck" thing.
BAh. What are they supposed to say? We have a show to run, but it's done. Here's some static.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
There is one hard truth - you simply cannot win games consistently in this league getting the kind of goaltending we have been getting lately. It just doesn't happen. You saw it in Edmonton earlier this year. Their goaltending was absolutely killing them. Things are better in Edmonton now, and there's some hope for the future. Why? They stabilized their goaltending situation with Scrivens and Fasth.

Look at the Leafs lately - Bernier gets hurt, and Reimer goes Lehner on them. All of a sudden, the Leafs look like the old Leafs. Again, can't win without goaltending.

Goaltending isn't the only problem this team has had in 2013-14, but it's time to admit the obvious - it has been a significant factor. I know throwing goalies under the bus is considered to be poor fan etiquette, but the numbers don't lie.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
I'm just happy I witnessed 3 prettiest sens goals this season live - today's Hemsky, MacArthur shorthanded between the legs pass to Turris, and Spezza's dangle vs Panthers.
Best part - we've lost all 3 of those games. :laugh:

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
Super glad I decided to volunteer at my kid's school rather than watch this game.

FUN FACT:

Just quickly looking at the numbers today, it seems that Phillips had the fewest minutes on the blueline by far. So that's a plus.

Phillips started the game, goal scored by Tampa first 30 seconds.

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
I dunno man. The whole offseason #SensBudget comments by Eugene kinda killed my interest in the team for this season.

I don't think I cared enough to even be mad by November.

Nah, that only kept my interest for a week. Mostly because I'm an Obsidian fan, but I've never been a South Park fan (only seen one episode ever).

I went back to 2014 GOTY Banished. I'm so addicted to this game.

I LOVED South Park - Stick of Truth, and I'm a huge South Park / Park and Stone fan.

But I'm also addicted to Banished, too, haha. I keep getting hit by tornados!

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
Why are people so upset?

We have been long out of it. November was the time to get mad.

I remember when everyone was telling those who were worried to take a chill pill the team has PLENTY of time to sneak into the playoffs.

Team's been inconsistent all year, and when that is your main problem you start looking at the management situation.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Look, I'm not happy about this season. Alfie was captain for a very long time... was he loved for his style since day 1? My guess is no. He has a funadmentally different playing style than Spezza. What I do see is game after game Spezza is busting his balls. Give it some time. The team will adjust. That said, I'm a new fan. I'm not young, but I moved to Ottawa in 2009 and didn't follow hockey before. Maybe I'm wrong and the team immediately became awesome after Alfie got the c.

I think the problems with Alfredsson at first, was the fanbase were in more of a Gretzky-C mode. What I mean is, they saw a C on #11's jersey, and immediately expected him to be the offensive leader on the ice. That was never Alfredsson's game. His game is much more subtle, doing the dirty work, working in the corners, setting up his linemates, opening lanes for guys, and being the one to cover for defensive lapses. Not stuff that generally shows up on the scoreboard. Once people got used to that style, it became the standard for the C in this city.

Of course, Spezza doesn't fit that style. His skating is barely average, his defensive play is poor, and he avoids physical contact at all costs. But, he has amazing vision, and he can thread a pass through 3 guys onto the stick of someone in a good scoring position.

It all depends on what style people want...and what the team can afford. At this point, it's hard to tell what the guys are trying to do on the ice.

Caseus

squirrelly wrath
Mar 9, 2004
Ottawa
The games are much more enjoyable to watch when you no longer invest your emotions in the team.

You know something, I'm at that point.

I now see every loss as a wakeup call to management. They assumed with a minimal investment the team would automatically make the playoffs because we overachieved last year.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, Melnyk and Murray, but we're still in a rebuild. We need to keep expectations reasonable and preach hard work and accountability. Players who are not prepared to work hard and compete every shift should be traded, bought out or allowed to walk. If that means losing half the team, so be it.

And the leadership on the team is a disaster. I was hoping Spezza would be the guy to lead the team. He's not.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
You know something, I'm at that point.

I now see every loss as a wakeup call to management. They assumed with a minimal investment the team would automatically make the playoffs because we overachieved last year.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, Melnyk and Murray, but we're still in a rebuild. We need to keep expectations reasonable and preach hard work and accountability. Players who are not prepared to work hard and compete every shift should be traded, bought out or allowed to walk. If that means losing half the team, so be it.

And the leadership on the team is a disaster. I was hoping Spezza would be the guy to lead the team. He's not.

Spezza for Craig Conroy?

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008

FUN FACT:

I don't think he played in the last 6 minutes of the game so, not sure if it is an injury or if Maclean finally kinda saw the light.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad