Confirmed with Link: [TBL/OTT] Lightning trade Mathieu Joseph and a 4th rd pick for Nick Paul (44.5% retained)

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Not sure Paul brings anything to the bottom 6. Then again we had to add to Joseph to get him. This gives a real value on Joseph. Sure he skates fast and at times he did a good job defensively. But the thing that has killed his value is inability to finish. Just this year how many breakaways has the guy had only to bumble fumble and miss. It is laughable to see him try and dangle. Next would be the amount of time he spends picking hisself up off the ice. I don’t think he is a soft player he just for some reason loses battles and gets dumped, and while he skates fast as the wind he loses control when trying to maneuver other than a straight line. Perhaps he try’s to mimic Point who is just sick with his abilities.

Wish him the best but glad I will not be losing my mind at his shortcomings.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Not sure Paul brings anything to the bottom 6. Then again we had to add to Joseph to get him. This gives a real value on Joseph. Sure he skates fast and at times he did a good job defensively. But the thing that has killed his value is inability to finish. Just this year how many breakaways has the guy had only to bumble fumble and miss. It is laughable to see him try and dangle. Next would be the amount of time he spends picking hisself up off the ice. I don’t think he is a soft player he just for some reason loses battles and gets dumped, and while he skates fast as the wind he loses control when trying to maneuver other than a straight line. Perhaps he try’s to mimic Point who is just sick with his abilities.

From my understanding he's a bigger body and will bring more grit and defensive responsibility. Joseph has 0 finish regardless so we aren't losing any goal scoring.

Plays the PK, JBB trying to make a shutdown 3rd line again

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
From my understanding he's a bigger body and will bring more grit and defensive responsibility. Joseph has 0 finish regardless so we aren't losing any goal scoring.

Plays the PK, JBB trying to make a shutdown 3rd line again
Joseph has been one of our best penalty killers this year. But I agree that Paul will improve the 3rd line's defensive performance at 5v5. Could be a shutdown line once again, if these guys can help like the last group.

Reactions: NatoGhost

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I wonder how this sits with the locker room. These hurt a little when you trade players and not just picks and prospects. Jo's been here for a little while from the ups and downs of the 2019 season, in the bubble with the guys for 2020, and here last year for 2021. He was big against Montreal.
Jo was good friends with Gourde who is gone

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Not a fan of this one. I like Joseph a lot, still think he has a ton of upside.

I don't know Nick Paul, sounds like he's built for the playoffs which is good, but you're always rolling the dice in how well and quickly a guy integrates.

The bigger issue for me is long-term; deciding we weren't gonna qualify Joseph because of arb just seems short-sighted. We will probably have the money, at least for one year (since I have to think one of Killer or Palate is gone), and that's all we really need. At a minimum, we'd have the money to sign Joseph to his arb contract and then be able to trade him without having our nuts in a vice if we decide it's too much and want to redeploy it toward a cup-chasing vet giving us a discount. Of course, if what this really means is that Pally is gonna re-sign for a $2m+ pay cut and there's just no money for Joseph then hell yeah I'm into it, but I just don't think that's what's happening.

But anyway, JBB knows this shit waaaaaay better than I do, so I'm gonna take him on faith here. Welcome, Nick Paul!
Long term Joseph will be out of this league

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Long term Joseph will be out of this league
Long-term everyone but Jagr will be out of the league.

Joseph could be a guy that puts it together. Has a pretty good toolset, and until his legs leave him he'll always have a job. But the style fit kept moving further and further away from the team we were building.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Also didn’t Paul take a ton of faceoffs for Ottawa? Can’t have enough of those guys with the clown ref tossing the centers every second puck drop.

From my understanding he took the FO and then switched to LW.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Also didn’t Paul take a ton of faceoffs for Ottawa? Can’t have enough of those guys with the clown ref tossing the centers every second puck drop.

From my understanding he took the FO and then switched to LW.
He took the 2nd most face offs for them behind Josh Norris, but he won less than 50%

Colton is having a really good season at the dot with 52.6%.

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004

Paul is 6-3, 220-something, and somehow looks bigger than that on the ice. He wields a strong, heavy stick, wins puck battles, generates takeaways. Speed is just OK, he could be more consistent, but he's a good bottom 6er/PK guy.

Reactions: Outl4w

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Enjoy Big Dick Nick you'll love him

RH6gLoQ.jpeg

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
Paul is 6-3, 220-something, and somehow looks bigger than that on the ice. He wields a strong, heavy stick, wins puck battles, generates takeaways. Speed is just OK, he could be more consistent, but he's a good bottom 6er/PK guy.
Exactly what we need.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Coop reaction talking about how hard it is to say goodbye to players you've coached for quite a while. You can definitely sense why players love to play for him. Heart and soul guy.
Coop has never once called out a player in front of the media. He never blamed a goalie for a loss, no matter how obvious that it was their fault. I think guys always appreciated that. He's been called a players coach, but it just comes down to treating one another with a certain level of respect.

I think for a lot of these guys too, Coop's been here for their whole career. JBB's been here their whole career. If you got drafted by the Lightning, the same guys who were at the table or up on stage, and shook your hand and welcomed you into the organization are all mostly still here. There's a different connection with those guys that we drafted and developed. I remember the first time I saw Jo play live, it was in a rookie tournament. He was on a 3rd or 4th line with Cirelli and Digiacinto, and they were amazing. Feels like forever ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad