Confirmed with Link: [TBL/OTT] Braydon Coburn, Cedric Paquette, & 2nd rd pick ('22) for Marian Gaborik & Anders Nilsson

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
At the end of the day, this is a cap dump as we all know. So why the need to acquire LTIR? The cap savings is Coburn and Paquette. What do these dead contracts have to do with anything?

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Only thing is that both were up at the end of the season anyways, so the 2nd is a lot. Would have much rather added a 2nd for a guy with term, but Johnson's value is so low right now and wanted the sweeteners.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I love Brisebois, but what we're really doing here is eating $7.5m in cash and giving up a 2nd rounder to get out of a terrible contract (Coburn) and some bad luck (no market for Paquette because of it's a crazy year).

The person who deserves 90% of the praise is Vinik. It's his money that's getting this done.

That's fair enough because we are basically eating cash for Scrooge McDuck right now because the combined actual salaries of Coburn and Paquette is roughly $3.5 million and the combined actual salaries for Gaborik and Nilsson is roughly $5.5 million

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
That's fair enough because we are basically eating cash for Scrooge McDuck right now because the combined actual salaries of Coburn and Paquette is roughly $3.5 million and the combined actual salaries for Gaborik and Nilsson is roughly $5.5 million
How much of the 5.5 is insured, what’s the actual out of pocket?

Reactions: BOLTFAN

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
How much of the 5.5 is insured, what’s the actual out of pocket?

Truth be told I'm just barfing back numbers I saw on capfriendly. But given the fact Melnyk has taken on cap hits that were larger than the actual salary and that these numbers are relatively close both in cap hit and salary, he's gotta be saving somewhere. I know it matters if it's insured but I can't imagine there isn't some way in which the Senators aren't saving money here somehow. I don't think they'd have gone for this if we weren't actually eating $2 million.

But again I'm barfing back numbers and it's entirely possible I'm just a big dumb idiot ---that of which should surprise no one

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Truth be told I'm just barfing back numbers I saw on capfriendly. But given the fact Melnyk has taken on cap hits that were larger than the actual salary and that these numbers are relatively close both in cap hit and salary, he's gotta be saving somewhere. I know it matters if it's insured but I can't imagine there isn't some way in which the Senators aren't saving money here somehow. I don't think they'd have gone for this if we weren't actually eating $2 million.

But again I'm barfing back numbers and it's entirely possible I'm just a big dumb idiot ---that of which should surprise no one

Contracts can be insured at the time of signing and usually are for the big deals but the team still pays a portion of it. Gaborik's is insured, I doubt Nilsson's is, Sens were essentially coughing up 3m for 2 guys who weren't touching the ice. It's not about the money it's value here, they gain 2 skaters and a 2nd round pick instead of a dead 3m.

Last edited:
Reactions: BOLTFAN

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Contracts can be insured at the time of signing are usually are for the big deals but the team still pays a portion of it. Gaborik's is insured, I doubt Nilsson's is, Sens were essentially coughing up 3m for 2 guys who weren't touching the ice. It's not about the money it's value here, they gain 2 skaters and a 2nd round pick instead of a dead 3m.

I'm glad you made that point. I had thought to put it in earlier and for some reason didn't. That to me is more practical than anything else so it's very hard to disagree on your point. All together, I'm supportive of the move. Gonna miss Coby and Paq but honestly, it is time for some of their potential replacements to put up or go anyway.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
If Nilsson heals until say, 10 games before the playoffs he'd be a perfect (probably the best, and cheap) second goalie. Can McElhinney be on his way out for a real cheap second goalie? Cheap-cheap (think Zamboni driver cheap)?

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
What does it mean by we need to use that money before Jan 12? What happens if we don’t?
giphy.gif

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Defense through the organization is a bit thin right now.

Assuming Foote is in the NHL, and Green and Semykin stay in Orlando, 7 D in NHL, 5 D in AHL, 2 D in ECHL

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
No second rounder now in 2022 and 2021 and johnson is still here! Ugh

There's $80m in fresh cap space coming on line next season, much easier market to sell into.

My wild ass prediction: To get Seattle to take McDonagh, we give them Killorn for free. That's enough to cover Kuch's contract and two cheap replacements.

Nice then if we can move TJ, but not critical.

Then it's a question of what we do with Goodrow and Coleman's cap space. Might be enough to keep one of them.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016

All good, I’m just trying to fully comprehend the return to Ottawa. I guess we assume the actual cash is atleast a wash and it cost a 2nd rounder to get 3.4 Million of cap space. Oh, and one of the offloads is a very legit 4C who we will miss. But it is fair to assume Ceddy is a tad overpaid in this crazy market.

Kinda scary to think about how much it would have cost to be cap compliant if Kuch does not go LTIR.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
All good, I’m just trying to fully comprehend the return to Ottawa. I guess we assume the actual cash is atleast a wash and it cost a 2nd rounder to get 3.4 Million of cap space. Oh, and one of the offloads is a very legit 4C who we will miss. But it is fair to assume Ceddy is a tad overpaid in this crazy market.

Kinda scary to think about how much it would have cost to be cap compliant if Kuch does not go LTIR.

What eats at me is everyone crying conspiracy. We literally waived Johnson for nothing. JFBB had no idea this was going to happen

Reactions: Todd1a

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad