Confirmed with Link: [TBL/OTT] Braydon Coburn, Cedric Paquette, & 2nd rd pick ('22) for Marian Gaborik & Anders Nilsson

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
Damn, check out Vinik. That's $7.5m cash money from his pocket spent to preserve our hockey assets. No first round pick given up, no prospects given up, just a ton of LTIR to eat.

Hell, add it all up and we're almost $16m over the cap this year, and we're gonna have a hell of a team if Kuch is back for the playoffs.

Gonna miss Paquette. JBB oughta pay Coburn's salary himself, that was a dumb re-signing.

Reactions: Peacefool

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
what does this mean for our cap?

We have a little over $1m in LTIR we can use if we want to, and only 20 guys on the roster. I bet we call up Foote to use that up as the season starts, and we roll with 21 all year -- sending guys to and from the taxi squad as needed (assuming we don't lose them on waivers).

edit: That would use up _most of_ the available LTIR space. There would be about $230k we'd not be able to tap, but still that's a hell of a job numbers-wise.

Last edited:

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
All the best to Coburn and Paquette!

If Ottawa wants to start their youth movement, a great team guy and veteran like Coburn will be an excellent pick up for them. He'll probably get to play more with Ottawa too. He'll be 36 in February, so he's at the tail end of his career, but at least he has his cup now.

And with Paquette, I'll always have a soft spot for our own draft picks. The Dump Truck will always be a Bolt. I remember when we drafted him and he was literally speechless. Big thanks to him for being on this crazy ride for a cup since the 2014 playoffs. Seems like Stephens was going to be the heir to 4th line center position, and now he has it.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
What does it mean by we need to use that money before Jan 12? What happens if we don’t?

LTIR is some weird black magic voodoo.

If you have to use it in the offseason to be complaint on day 1, then you only get exactly as much as you need to be compliant, and not a dollar more. So for example if it was just Kuch on IR and his $9.5m contract, and we were only over the cap by $8.8m on day 1 of the season, we'd only get that $8.8m in relief and no extra room.

So it would make sense to call up a guy* on a $700k contract and get to $9.5m and use that to set our relief for the year. We can later send that guy down, or trade him or whatever and that would open up the $700k to use on someone else. But if we were only $8.8m over on day 1, we wouldn't have that space.

*We currently only have 20 guys on roster, and the max is 23. So we can add salary by adding guys. The real numbers here are that we have about $1.2m in unused LTIR space, so I bet we bring up Foote to suck up most of that and make it usable.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
JFBB does it again. Well done mate

I love Brisebois, but what we're really doing here is eating $7.5m in cash and giving up a 2nd rounder to get out of a terrible contract (Coburn) and some bad luck (no market for Paquette because of it's a crazy year).

The person who deserves 90% of the praise is Vinik. It's his money that's getting this done.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
So did Coburn waive his NTC, or did he never have one to begin with? CapFriendly has been showing an NTC on this contract the whole time, but they never had a source on it and I never saw one announced.

If he we did give him an NTC on this extension, that would be the terrible cherry on top of the terrible contract. Cool of him to waive it.

Reactions: Todd1a

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
So did Coburn waive his NTC, or did he never have one to begin with? CapFriendly has been showing an NTC on this contract the whole time, but they never had a source on it and I never saw one announced.

If he we did give him an NTC on this extension, that would be the terrible cherry on top of the terrible contract. Cool of him to waive it.

yep he had a NTC and he waived it

Reactions: BoltzManConstant

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
I liked Cobie a lot - gotta think his family will stay in Tampa as the kids are in school here...

Reactions: NatoGhost

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Will miss Ceddy. This must really sting for him. Should of been TyJo.

what’s bad about this is we are going to have to trade Killorn and johnson next offseason and what asset will we need to give up to move johnson?

right now we are -3.5 million in cap space with 16 guys signed next year . So should we have done this deal or just paid yzerman to take johnson this year ?

Reactions: AlmostThere242

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Old Bolt Prospects days

960A3742-D3F0-40BD-93C4-516D6907F8F0.jpeg

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
what’s bad about this is we are going to have to trade Killorn and johnson next offseason and what asset will we need to give up to move johnson?

right now we are -3.5 million in cap space with 16 guys signed next year . So should we have done this deal or just paid yzerman to take johnson this year ?

Only Brisebois knows what that would've cost. He knows as well as you or I what our cap considerations look like next year.

And don't forget we've got 56 games to Namestnikov him, running him out there on a line with Point and Palat (or Stamkos). Could be a completely different value proposition for TJ come next summer.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

Gotta think about it this way. Forget about losing Kucherov because that sours it. We at least have time to get rid of some guys for next year. We didn't have it before and that limited things for us a lot more than it is now. So with the can being kicked down the road we can open up discussions about Johnson now and it won't be as costly as it would have been if we needed to clear that cap. Still might be down the road but I think this could help lower that cost because its one less year. I think their trade clauses open up a little after this year too? Killorn and TJ should be easier to move after this year. Especially if one of them or both benefit from more playing time with Kuch gone.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
I think there is one more trade in the works. Do not be surprised if something else happens in the next 72 hours. Just a hunch.

Reactions: Todd1a

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad