Confirmed Trade: [TBL/NYR] R. McDonagh, J. Miller for V. Namestnikov, B. Howden, L. Hajek, 2018 1st, c. 1st/2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Start by getting yourself checked for massive head trauma if you think Karlsson brings you back anything close to Point.

God I’m going to love seeing all the delusional Sens fans’ heads explode when they see what Karlsson actually returns.:laugh:
It is going to be fun. That's for sure.

Reactions: 666

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
No one got fleeced here although I initially thought the Rangers got fleeced. If Howden and Hajek become what we expect (middle 6 C, top 4 D) this is a solid trade for both teams.
if those prospects become a top 4 d and top 9 c then this trade heavily favors the Rangers

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Wow. Seems like a very underwhelming return for NYR.

Haha wow. Nice one NYR....jk

Except that Tampa has proven repeatedly, unlike the Caps, that they can actually excel in the playoffs.

Yzerman is the best GM in the league. He is unbelievable.

The NY Rags got bent over hard on this one, Stevie Y went all prison style in there.

Gorton is an absolute Moron.

I can understand not getting Sergachev or Point, I knew that wasn't going to happen. I said at that point some combination of Foote, Howden and Raddysh plus a 1st would have been good. I wasn't terribly off with 3 prospects and a 1st for McDonagh, because it ended up being 2 prospects and a 1st and a conditional 1st/2nd. I understood that Tampa wasn't going to give a roster player in the middle of making a cup run.

But then Gorton opens up the deal even more includes Miller and DOWNGRADES on him. I'm with @Hunter Gathers on this one, Miller is terribly inconsistent, but he's still an upgrade over Namestnikov.

- He couldn't win on getting Yzerman to give up Sergachev or Point with both Miller and McDonagh involved. I thought the inclusion of both would have warranted at least one.

- Then he couldn't win on getting a straight up first rounder in 2019.

- He also lost on the downgrade from Miller to Namestnikov.

He held all of the cards here and could have dealt McDonagh at the draft, but nope, he panicked and lost, AGAIN.

This guy has to go. He lost on Talbot, lost on Hagelin, lost on St. Louis (big time), lost on Yandle, lost on Grabner (IMO, could've gotten more, but misplayed his market) won on the Nash and Holden deals, but lost again on this one.

I can't even trust this guy when it comes to picks, being that he passed over Middlestadt and Vilardi for Lias Andersson, who was an off the board pick. I'm sorry, but I have no faith that this organization will do right.

I hope I'm eating my crow in June when he pulls something off.

I can't imagine the meltdown going on over at the Rangers board. This was their one shot to get a blue chip piece to kick off their rebuild and this is what they go home with. Woof!

Damn Rags got hosed so bad.
EDIT: I mean, dey got REKT! Dayum!

Gotta feel for ranger fans....Yzerman destroyed them.

:laugh: Gorton must have a side deal. Pretty unbelievable.

Ranger fans are being funny trying to justify this.... Before the season you could argue Howden being a top 4 tampa prospect behind the likes of Point and Sergachev and possibly a few more that were close Katchouk raddish and foote. Now you can argue they are all better then him., with those 3 all being top 50 according to TSN as was mention in an earlier post. Hajek is decent and could be pretty good but nothing to write home about. There is a very little chance is his hitting your top 4 in the near future if ever.

You then downgrade with Miller and Namestnikov and get a first round pick which will be over 30 and a second. The conditional can be nice but still a high pick.

Tampa kept all their best assets and prospects, traded a few late first rounders for a #1 d man and a 24 year old who can be a top 6 forward.

This deal is very good for tampa

Rangers will regret trading J.T. Miller. Never felt like he was utilized correctly by the coaching staff.

Rangers got rooked.

full

some of these responses

SnowFort

Mar 5, 2017
I’m loving all of these rangers fans now bragging they won this deal. Just shows how off some of you are with regards to your own players values.
I think it’s not that the rangers “won” the deal, but it’s now less favorable to one side as it was considered back then.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I’m loving all of these rangers fans now bragging they won this deal. Just shows how off some of you are with regards to your own players values.

I'm loving all these Tampa fans who cant see im not saying the Rags won or fleeced Tampa, just that they werent' fleeced themselves. I'm sure plenty more bumps will be had in the next 2-3 years.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
full

some of these responses
Why are you assuming anyone changed their position? Tampa got the better deal, even if they didn’t win the cup this year?

Try to be more reasonable and think before you post. You come off childish and petty.

Please change your avatar. You can’t boost Gully side and act like a *****.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Why are you assuming anyone changed their position? Tampa got the better deal, even if they didn’t win the cup this year?

Try to be more reasonable and think before you post. You come off childish and petty.

Please change your avatar. You can’t boost Gully side and act like a *****.

Consult some other lightning fans...

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/146273189/

You cant get pissy when people shit on the rags and if we wanna shit back on them a little bit and kick em while they're down

Reactions: haveandare

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
So if Tampa wins last night this is a good trade, but after getting shut out in back to back games its a terrible trade?

Ya'll daft.

Yeah, seriously. I don't get the "smug bump" here. The Lightning still got a good defenceman on a great contract that helped shore up a major weak point of their team and get them within a game of the Stanley Cup Finals. What's more, they've got a whole extra year of the guy next season to make a run as well (and probably with a healthier+fresher McDonagh).

Plus swapping a guy in Namestnikov whose production dropped off drastically outside of riding shotgun to Tampa's top players...who was going to want to get paid like a 50pt guy this summer anyway, for a guy who may "disappear" at times, but is probably closer to an actual 50pt player in Miller.

For a big collection of total "maybes" that they could afford to sacrifice to make a run while their window is wide open this year+next (ie. until Kucherov's sweetheart deal runs out and his salary effectively doubles). :dunno:

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Consult some other lightning fans...

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/146273189/

You cant get pissy when people **** on the rags and if we wanna **** back on them a little bit and kick em while they're down
I don’t care what they think. I know enough about the NHL talent in the deal to form my own opinion on the matter, regardless of what anyone else thinks.

The ‘kick them while they’re down’ mentality reflects poorly on you. Have some class... Bolts fans are probably pretty disappointed right now, why rub it in? Does it make you feel big? Are you that inept in real life?

Reactions: Mr Meeseeks

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Neutral fan coming in, objectively both teams won in the trade, New York got pieces to rebuild. Tampa stacked their roster for a set of playoff runs this year and next. The two organizations are in different places. How next years playoffs end up shaking out, as well as how the prospects pain out via players sent over or future draft picks, will shift the slide a notch or two towards one side or the other. But both teams got exactly what they wanted for the current situation ether team are in.

Reactions: bl02

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC

I don't see one post saying that.

Anyway I don't even see how a team in the Rangers position can possibly lose a deal like this in the first place.

We sold high on a declining player after we learned our lesson on extending players in similar circumstances. And in turn received much needed picks and prospects.

All the risk is on the buyer.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think it’s not that the rangers “won” the deal, but it’s now less favorable to one side as it was considered back then.

Why? How Tampa does doesn't change what the Rangers got back. They moved a top pairing defenseman on a great deal and didn't get a bluechip piece back. That's why people criticized the deal to start. Tampa could miss the playoffs next year and it doesn't change anything.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I don't see one post saying that.

Me neither.

In my mind, the trade looked to be in favor of Tampa at the time with the way the players we sent have produced for the Lightning. Over the last few weeks, I've seen the trade as having both positives and negatives and not being the overall fleecing of the Rangers that many immediate reactions portrayed it as.

The Rangers were very unlikely to sign McDonagh to a long-term deal given the organizational rebuild. Trading him now for assets made sense.

I wasn't the biggest fan of trading Miller, as I feel he has and does have a next-level he will reach. At times, he was inconsistent for us, and he will be looking for a sizable contract when the time comes.

The Lightning got the guys they wanted. Gorton was big on Hajek and Howden and their leadership qualities, and got the guys he wanted. We gain cap flexibility and assets. The Lightning gained a shored up defense and a guy who fit right into their top-6, though the inconsistency showed in the conference finals.

The trade isn't McDonagh and Miller for those pieces. I saw it as McDonagh for Howden, Hajek, 1st, and conditional first. That's a solid return. I saw Miller for Namestnikov as a second part of that trade that helped grease the wheel of the primary basis.

I'm definitely NOT going the other way and saying the Rangers won the trade. I just don't think they necessarily lost it, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad