Confirmed Trade: [TBL/NYR] R. McDonagh, J. Miller for V. Namestnikov, B. Howden, L. Hajek, 2018 1st, c. 1st/2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Have you seen Jt Miller's playoff stats? Prior to this year he had 1 goal 15 assists in 40 games. ONE goal in 40 playoff games. If anything he played up to his usual self this year.

I think they should have tried to roll the dice and put him back with Stamkos and Kucherov to spark something. He was still playing tough on the boards and might have opened up space for them. I don't know if it would have worked but that's where he was looking good, and might have helped. Seems like no really changes were made though.

Reactions: Alves

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Miller has been an inconsistent moron his entire career with dumb turnovers. Yet, you better believe he will want 5.5 million for 5 years on his contract. Good luck.
No need to bash him like that, he’s a very good player and his bad turnovers didn’t really even start until this year. The problem with him is the character issues and the inability to raise his game when it matters. Also, when the Rangers started going to shit so did Miller. He played like he gave 0 shits towards the end of his Rangers days like Schultz did back in Edmonton before he was traded. Didn’t even bother to try anymore and that’s when his dumb plays became prevalent. He was my favorite Ranger last year but after this season it was clear he wasn’t going to stay a Ranger for long

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
I don’t care what they think. I know enough about the NHL talent in the deal to form my own opinion on the matter, regardless of what anyone else thinks.

The ‘kick them while they’re down’ mentality reflects poorly on you. Have some class... Bolts fans are probably pretty disappointed right now, why rub it in? Does it make you feel big? Are you that inept in real life?

If this is true, then you should cringe at the "fleecing" responses at least as much as you cringe at the responses you perceive as "Rangers fans are saying they won the trade".

I remember being somewhat disappointed initially when this trade went down, but within 5 minutes of doing a slight bit of research on ALL of the players involved it became evident that in theory this is/was a great trade for both teams, but I did not consider the hfboards mentality when I returned to this thread about 20 minutes after the trade was announced. The more reasonable people on all sides, not just Rangers/Lightning fans, but just generally reasonable fans were drowned out by those infantile comments: "lols, fleeced!" , "HAHA Rangers got bend over" , etc. etc.

Yet here we are reading your input telling those more reasonable fans who did not go for the hyperbole on either side to pipe it down and shut up with their "well... guess we told you so".

Last edited by a moderator:

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
If this is true, then you should cringe at the "fleecing" responses at least as much as you cringe at the responses you perceive as "Rangers fans are saying they won the trade".

I remember being somewhat disappointed initially when this trade went down, but within 5 minutes of doing a slight bit of research on ALL of the players involved it became evident that in theory this is/was a great trade for both teams, but I did not consider the hfboards mentality when I returned to this thread about 20 minutes after the trade was announced. The more reasonable people on all sides, not just Rangers/Lightning fans, but just generally reasonable fans were drowned out by those infantile comments: "lols, fleeced!" , "HAHA Rangers got bend over" , etc. etc.

Yet here we are reading your input telling those more reasonable fans who did not go for the hyperbole on either side to pipe it down and shut up with their "well... guess we told you so".

No thank you sir, this thread is a celebration of a more reasonable approach to hockey, this is a thread that flies straight into the faces of armchair GMs who call ACTUAL GMs clueless morons who know nothing about hockey and how to value players.

They, nay WE deserve to revel in the true cluelessness of the countless keyboard warriors, who day in, day out, believe to know more about this sport than the ones who do this for a living and do their homework that doesn't just consist of reading stats and blogs.

So, go kick some rocks with your arrogant "I KNOW hockey!" attitude.

Cheers.
:laugh: who are you even talking to? Stats and blogs? You’re confused.

Good luck to you.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
:laugh: who are you even talking to? Stats and blogs? You’re confused.

Good luck to you.

Spoken with the arrogance of a true Don Quixote.

Apparently reality and humility fly right over your head hand in hand.

Go ahead and tell more people about your vastly superior knowledge of players and how your opinion is the only one that matter. At the very least you stay true to your hero from Castille.

Reactions: NewYorkNick

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Miller looked so good after we acquired him. I dont understand how he went so cold in the playoffs. I remember Rangers fans saying the same things. Not a good thing for him if he wants a lot of money on his next deal.

Reactions: bl02

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Oh and btw, it’s been said that Miller/Namestnikov was not a swap player for player. McDonagh likely got Howden+Hajek+1st and Miller got Vladdy+conditional 2nd that’s a first if TBL win cup. It’s been reported though that Vladdy was not traded for Miller

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Why are we still talking about this? I still don't think the Rangers got enough in return and Tampa didn't win and get the Rangers that first round pick. They have one more chance.

Who cares? This is a pointless pissing contest and the thread should have been closed.

Reactions: NewYorkNick

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Why are we still talking about this? I still don't think the Rangers got enough in return and Tampa didn't win and get the Rangers that first round pick. They have one more chance.

Who cares? This is a pointless pissing contest and the thread should have been closed.
This is my thinking as well, at the time of the trade, i remember thinking "that's it?". Who knows how the breakdown of assets is though, hard to say with Miller included as well.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Tampa gave up all that future and never advanced a bit. That must suck
The best part about this trade from a TB perspective is that we didn't really give up much high end talent and our prospect pool is still very well stocked after the deal.

Of course I was disappointed by the end to our season, but we'll have to see how next season turns out before saying this was a bad trade.

Last edited:

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

They advanced to the ECF. Do they do that without this trade? Honestly, I don't think they make it out of the second round without McDonagh. The goal is obviously to get to the cup and win the cup, and going 1 round further probably doesn't justify the move, but I'd say it did help them. They kept Foote and Raddysh so that's also a plus for them.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
This is my thinking as well, at the time of the trade, i remember thinking "that's it?". Who knows how the breakdown of assets is though, hard to say with Miller included as well.

Imagine how little we'd get in a trade now that the book is really out on McDonagh and he's no longer the top 15 defensemen everyone thought he was based on the reputation he was living hard off of due to his play 4-6 years ago?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

Yea as is any trade you make and dont complete the goal. It sucks for sure. We have McDonagh for another year so maybe we can advance next year :dunno: We have pretty much the same team coming back and we can definitely make some trades to improve our cap situation. I like some of our young guys that can come up. We gave up some future but its not as much as people think. We still have a lot of good players still to come in the future.

Reactions: PROMputt

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Yea as is any trade you make and dont complete the goal. It sucks for sure. We have McDonagh for another year so maybe we can advance next year :dunno: We have pretty much the same team coming back and we can definitely make some trades to improve our cap situation. I like some of our young guys that can come up. We gave up some future but its not as much as people think. We still have a lot of good players still to come in the future.

If I was a Lightning fan I would be at peace knowing Yzerman did everything in his power to put the team in the best position possible to win a Stanley Cup. McDonagh is still a solid secondary option and of course significantly better than Sustr or Dotchin.

It's better than living with regret not knowing what could have been had you stood pat at the deadline.

Maybe the only regret is that Yzerman didn't step it up for Karlsson, but if the price was Point or Sergachev Mac was of course the smarter target.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Imagine how little we'd get in a trade now that the book is really out on McDonagh and he's no longer the top 15 defensemen everyone thought he was based on the reputation he was living hard off of due to his play 4-6 years ago?

Huh, that's not the sales pitch Rangers fans were telling me at the deadline.....

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island

I've said that previously about the breakdown of the trade itself and some posters on here like to speak in absolutes as if they are Yzerman and Gorton.

I don't care regardless, I don't think it was enough, but it doesn't change the fact that it's not enough but it's what most logical Ranger fans thought that would get.

I thought the inclusion of Miller would maybe help them get one of Point or Sergachev, but that was not the case. Life goes on.

I just don't get why this has to be beaten to death. Some people just need to let it go. Too many keyboard warriors on here that are looking for validation.

Reactions: Rangers_23

Alan Wake

It's not a loop, it's a spiral.
Dec 14, 2017
Technically speaking we still have another year left of McDonagh.

I would also suggest that a Game 7 ECF loss is still an improvement to missing the playoffs last year, but hey, you know more than the rest of us do.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I meant in this draft.

I was just emphasizing that they're teenagers because this site tends to value them as proven commodities.

7 out of 10 first rounders, my bad.

Still pretty ridiculous and not true. 70% of 30 is 21. You're saying 21 / 30 1st rounders don't turn into longer term players in the league which is again false.

Reactions: Dale Best Goalie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad