Confirmed Trade: [TBL/NJD] Devils trade Blake Coleman to Lightning for Nolan Foote, VAN 2020 1st

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
This is my feeling. I hate the overpayment, but I know Coleman is the perfect player for us. We don't need offensive output from him, we need all the other things he does.

You'll still get the offensive output from him, though. He's bound to score goals with how often he shoots and how hard he drives the net. Very hardworking, electric player.

I wonder if this further indicates that Killorn will be moved this summer? Coleman's a better version of that type of player and comes at a fraction of the cost.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Coleman isn't a rental, but you're still overpaying for a 3rd line player. A great 3rd line player, but nontheless a third liner.

Devils did great here though, much better return than what they got for Hall lol.

Reactions: Nabrules

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
This trade came out of nowhere but it was the right move. Sucks losing a guy like Coleman, who is playing out of his mind right now and is signed for an extra year at 1.8 m but I don't mind the team being proactive here and trading him at probably his peak value. The Devils can't re-sign all of Gusev/Palmieri/Coleman and that offer is just too good to pass up.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
This has the potential to be pretty ugly for Tampa. I remember a 20 goal Grabner getting moved a few years ago.

Fitzgerald had himself a day.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
So if we trade Labanc... are we going to get a top ten prospect cause it sure looks like it

If another team is as loaded as TB and has an extra first rounder.

I get the "OMG DEVILS WIN BIGZ" crowd but Tampa Bay is about as scary as any team in the NHL's recent memory. Why they wouldn't get what they want when they want for whatever they have is beyond me.

Plus as noted, they are going to be in a cap crunch this offseason and they just filled a hole with Coleman at his cheap salary, guaranteeing they'll still have a deep and potent offense next year.

Steep yeah but they also seem to draft well in lower rounds and develop players to fit right in and contribute.

I'd say win-win.

gump116

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
New York
This is what I’d expect Kreider to return. Crazy return for the Devils. Tampa better win.
This is even more than I’d expect Kreider to return. Vancouver’s pick is likely in the 16-20 range this year or potentially even higher next plus a late 1st round pick from last year.

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
The underestimating of Coleman continues...

Dude is a f***ing beast and his shot per game rates are top 10 in the league. Look at the other names in that list in that shots per game list. Stars.

Reactions: DaBolts

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
But is he a 20 goal scorer on Tampa where he probably plays bottom six ? That he's signed for another year is good but is he better than say Dzingel who basically did nothing on the Jackets are they trade for him ? I just don't trust his numbers. I'm probably wrong but i don't like it.
You hit on it IMO. How about he scores in shorty and wins TB a playoff game? Dzingel has $3.3 mil cap hit, so Coleman is more valuable to a cap team like TB.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Why does Tampa do this? Is Coleman the difference? They are so good, why don't they just trust the guys in the room and head into the playoffs with the team that is a top two team in the NHL?

Why didn't they just keep J.T. Miller? I know, I know, contract.

I love Coleman but I don't understand moves just to make moves.

p.s. What the heck is Kreider gonna get back, UFA or not.

HughJazz3dg

Jun 27, 2011
Every single Devils fan wanted to keep Blake Coleman unless we got this type of payment. There’s a reason why a team was willing to pay this, he’s a great mix of heart and soul with skill.

He’s a jack of all trades, but typically he only plays 5on5 and on the PK. You’re going to love him, even if the value is on the high side.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Two 1sts basically and it's Vancouver's 1st so if Vancouver misses the playoffs, it's a lottery pick.

I know that Coleman is good and signed cheap for another year but thanks for ****ing up the buyers market Tampa. That's a crazy price to pay for a guy who was essentially a 3rd liner until this season.
If Vancouver misses the playoffs, the pick doesn't transfer until 2021.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad