Confirmed Trade: [TBL/NJD] Devils trade Blake Coleman to Lightning for Nolan Foote, VAN 2020 1st

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think this is a case with a large majority of the players moved at the deadline. It’s tough to slide right in on playoff teams and have an impact. Who’s actually been lighting up the scoresheet from deadline acquisitions? Toffoli, has probably been the only one having a significant impact.

TB has been front-loading their top line too, which takes our three elite players out of the equation. Some of our "good" players, like Cirelli for instance, sort switch between skill and grinder roles, and they seem more in grinder mode when they don't play with the big 3. So we wind up with one potent line, a couple of energy lines, and a 4th line.

I really hope, if the season comes back, we exploit our depth advantage more than our "big line" advantage. I like what Coleman does, but I don't see him being fully utilized without a guy who creates plays on his line.

BeastoftheEast85

Dec 31, 2010
New Jersey
Anyone know what happens to the first if the season is cancelled? Vancouver is behind Calgary in points but ahead in P/GP. Does it even matter if there is no playoffs?

My thought is that if the draft order is based on proportional points and Vancouver gets a ‘playoff’ draft pick, the 1st should go to NJ. Since the effect in terms of where they are drafting is the same as if they qualified for the playoffs.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
A team can’t make a playoffs that didn’t exist. With that said, if there are no playoffs I would assume it’s up to Vancouver to decide if it’s this year or next years pick.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Genius move by TB. No one will ever be able to tell them Coleman wasn't good in the playoffs.

Reactions: DFC

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Tampa Bay management has been making some questionable decisions since Yzerman left

Yes and no. I don't like the price JBB paid (more for Goodrow than for Coleman), but when you look at the big picture, it's understandable. We paid a big price for their contracts, because we need to shed salary next year. It's a big price to pay, but it keeps us from taking a step back next year.

Picklepete

Jun 5, 2002
Tampa
Visit site
Yes and no. I don't like the price JBB paid (more for Goodrow than for Coleman), but when you look at the big picture, it's understandable. We paid a big price for their contracts, because we need to shed salary next year. It's a big price to pay, but it keeps us from taking a step back next year.

Coleman & Goodrow were just the type of players Tampa needed !
It will all work out.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
since Vancouver has now officially made the playoffs, their 1st round pick gets transferred to NJ to complete this trade.
As did the AZ beating Nash.
Is the NHL doing anything different with his picks 16-31 are awarded?
They have Van as the 5 seed to play the 4th seeded team based on the round robin since their points percentage is higher than Calgary.

so if all the favourites win in the playoffs, that should give NJ pick 20 from Van since they are ahead of Chi, AZ, Cal, Mon. Pick 18 would also be theirs from AZ.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Congrats TBL fans on the success so far in the playoffs. Now that you have seen Coleman play what is your take on the trade? I posted it was a good move for both teams at the time and think it looks better for TBL with a flat cap next year. Tough to get what Coleman brings for a $1.8 mil cap hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->