Confirmed Signing with Link: [TBL] Lightning re-sign F Nick Paul (7 years, $3.15M AAV)

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Lucky for them Paul didn't score a fancy trick goal in the final or Treliving would have poached him for 6x5

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
People complaining about this are jealous or thick.

The absolute outer reaches of Tampa's window of being a cup threat is probably 5 years before at least having to retool. Finding a big matchup center who can dominate the puck down low along the boards and signing him for 3.1 for 7 years is a no-brainer. Are people serious?

He could have signed with a dumb gm for like 4.8 for 4 years if he wanted, but he's choosing long-term stability, a nice bonus structure, and a prolonged chance to be a part of something great. it's win-win for player and team.

I can't believe Tampa got him this cheap. A sign that players notice what's going on down there (not just the cups, but the build, the way it's run, etc) and want to be a part of it.

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
By year 5, 6 or 7 the cap is probably pushing 100m so this would be well below average salary at that point. Shouldn’t be a problem unless he completely disintegrates.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
He is one of those glue guys you need for a championship team. Buying him out in 4 years if he has concrete skates? Who gives a shit? Tampa sure don't.

yogibear

Mar 21, 2007
Ottawa/Gatineau
NTC, M-NTC, 8.4M in signing bonuses. Nobody would have guessed this a few years ago when he was put on waivers at least on one occasion.
Great deal for Paul.

Reactions: malcb33

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
The aav is fair, but the term is awful. By Montreal perspective, 3rd line players, you should never sign them over 2/3 years. We were considering Byron, Armia as good players and now we are stuck with them and they rise our salary for bad reason. Hope it won’t hapen for Paul

Reactions: Kimota

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Shooting percentage for 227 career games: 7%
Shooting percentage for last 21 games: 14%

Paul does do other things and can impact a game without scoring goals. But part of this contract is based on his scoring more than usual. I don't have a lot of faith that his offense will continue.

Not a killer of a contract but I doubt it looks like a bargain in 2 or 3 years... nevermind beyond that.
I mean, that's what happens when you elevate your game and create more high danger chances. Or enter a new system and coaching style that complements your style.

It's not like Paul was getting backdoor empty-net goals. That's why all stats need to be taken in context to the real-life situation. He was driving the play can creating most of these goals.

He'll probably never be a prolific regular season point-getter but it's pretty clear he's a playoff performer and if he brings it like that during that time of year he's more than worth that contract. He's basically the new, cheaper Killorn, who they can now lose (especially after his lackluster POs) and not skip a beat.

ChickenDinner

Mar 20, 2022
Not good enough for Dorion in Ottawa at 3.5 x3 or 4 years or whatever it was, but good enough to be a valuable contributor on an elite team for 7x3.1.

typical ottawa. winner winner only in dorions imagination

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Funny how when the extension was rumoured, these were the guesses from the Tampa fans I recognized

3x3.35
3x3.33
4x3.2

The it ends up being 7x3.15 and apparently it's a steal and anyone remotely critical of the term is simply jealous lol.
We were predicting a steal, to be fair. I said anything under 3.5 would be a steal.

The aav is fair, but the term is awful. By Montreal perspective, 3rd line players, you should never sign them over 2/3 years. We were considering Byron, Armia as good players and now we are stuck with them and they rise our salary for bad reason. Hope it won’t hapen for Paul
If 3.15 is the worst contract on your team, you're doing ok.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
should be good for 4-5 years... by then the ship will be sinking in TB, so good deal for both sides
Pretty much this. We are only thinking about the window, and I can't see it being open once Hedman is no longer a #1. So 5 years seems about the max.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
Astral of a contract in my opinion. Ottawa fans were hoping for @ 4*4 type deal. People saying he'll regress to his mean didn't watch how valuable he was with Ottawa even if topping out at 20 pts.
this times 100... this guys is awesome for a 3rd liner!!!

If Paul would have wanted to come back to OTT as a UFA, he would have been more than welcome be most Sens fans and the direction

Reactions: DFC

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad