Confirmed Signing with Link: [TBL] Lightning re-sign F Nick Paul (7 years, $3.15M AAV)

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Good deal for both parties. I doubt it will be a steal, I don't think Paul will play at the level he did this spring going forward (at least not for long), but that's an easy contract to move at that point.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
c4077eae22661ee27c200d2006999ee6.jpg

"*GASP!* I've never felt such power! But where? Where is it coming from? *gasp* It's coming from Tampa! I've never sensed such Big Dick Energy before!"

With @Hoek

Last edited:

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Shooting percentage for 227 career games: 7%
Shooting percentage for last 21 games: 14%

Paul does do other things and can impact a game without scoring goals. But part of this contract is based on his scoring more than usual. I don't have a lot of faith that his offense will continue.

Not a killer of a contract but I doubt it looks like a bargain in 2 or 3 years... nevermind beyond that.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
It is a lot of term, but he's also pretty young for a UFA, and it obviously helped keep the AAV down so the Bolts could afford to keep him. He's essentially being paid like a higher end role player and there's really no reason to expect he can't be one for the duration of the contract.

Ledge And Dairy

Paul does do other things and can impact a game without scoring goals. But part of this contract is based on his scoring more than usual. I don't have a lot of faith that his offense will continue.

Not a killer of a contract but I doubt it looks like a bargain in 2 or 3 years... nevermind beyond that.
7% is extremely low for a middle 6 forward. It's a pretty safe bet that he never falls under 10% again. Especially now that he has competent linemates

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Nothing wrong with 7 years. Even if the wheels come off down the road, the cap will be higher anyways. With an AAV this low, I doubt it will come back to hurt TB.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I'm confident he can sustain his play for 4-5 years (he's still pretty young). By the time the last 3 years of that deal come around, even if his game has dropped off a bit, that will be the going rate for a decent 3rd liner or a high end 4C given where the cap will be. So it's a very solid, relatively low risk deal.

Good for Paul. He's earned the security.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

If we thought the offense would continue, he would have gotten more money. 3.15 is not exactly gonna be a back-breaker even if the deal goes bad down the line.

Great deal for us. Probably foreshadows a big trade though.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
If we thought the offense would continue, he would have gotten more money. 3.15 is not exactly gonna be a back-breaker even if the deal goes bad down the line.
My last sentence said I don't think it's a back breaker. But yes it's overpayment in both term & $ for a player based on an extremely small atypical sample. Something can be "not great" and be "not horrible" at the same time.

Reactions: 37Bergenov14

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

He seemed to score in bunches for Ottawa and I always thought he was likely to break out as a 15-20 goal guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad