Confirmed Signing with Link: [TBL] Lightning re-sign F Nick Paul (7 years, $3.15M AAV)

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012
very nice signing, dude was a menace during the playoffs

toronto fans shitting on the bolts in this thread are funny
would much rather have this guy than a soft ass player like nylander whos allergic to the boards, physical contact and becomes invisible during the playoffs

Last edited:
Reactions: ultra63

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Superb deal for Big Dick Nick and Tampa. We saw him grow as a player first hand in Ottawa, he has been this good for the past few seasons and is any coach’s dream. Ideal bottom 6 player, miss him in Ottawa, happy for him on his new deal with one of the best teams in the league.

Reactions: Maelmoor

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
He was good for us in the playoffs. He's big and has some skill to his game. I like it as a Lightning fan that he's back. I just hope we can bring back palat. We will need to trade someone to do it. I think he's too important to our team to lose.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Seems a tad rich, but Paul was a force for the Bolts in these playoffs. And they acquired him from the Sens for Mathieu Joseph and a 2024 fourth rounder. Peanuts really. Ottawa may have 'seller's remorse' on this guy.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
very nice signing, dude was a menace during the playoffs

toronto fans shitting on the bolts in this thread are funny
would much rather have this guy than a soft ass player like nylander whos allergic to the boards, physical contact and becomes invisible
Is that really happening? Considering what he did to them in Game 7?

Reactions: CaptainBenn

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
The money is fine.

Term is a bit much for a non top six player.
You get one series right in 3 years and now you're our GM. Come'on man!

Does Paul stay as a bottom six guy or is there more potential to become a middle six guy?
He will bounce between the 2nd and 3rd lines depending on matchups. THAT"S why we wanted him.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
You get one series right in 3 years and now you're our GM. Come'on man!

He will bounce between the 2nd and 3rd lines depending on matchups. THAT"S why we wanted him.
That's a good signing if that is how it plays out. As a middle six guy it's a good value contract. As a bottom six guy it's probably only an average value contract. I know TB has to still carefully watch its cap so props to them if he fits that profile.

Reactions: DaBolts

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
I f***ing love Big Dick Nick and I f***ing love this deal. Who cares what he's making in seven years? We'll be rebuilding then anyway.

Shocker

Dec 20, 2019
Lots of years to bring the caphit down, very likely will never finish the deal in Tampa, but who knows.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Does Paul stay as a bottom six guy or is there more potential to become a middle six guy?
IMO there's still some potential. Whether or not he can reach it with any consistency is another story, but he sure as hell looked like a top-sixer on a lot of nights in TB. He was legitimately our best player in at least 3 or 4 games.

I feel like we will use him up and down the line up, similar to how we use Killorn. I don't see him spending much time on 4th line, but probably most of his time in the mid-6 with a couple of looks with the top line. Like, I don't think --

Paul - Stamkos - Kucherov
Palat - Point - X

--is a stretch at all, and allows us to spread our better talents around the line up.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
IMO there's still some potential. Whether or not he can reach it with any consistency is another story, but he sure as hell looked like a top-sixer on a lot of nights in TB. He was legitimately our best player in at least 3 or 4 games.

I feel like we will use him up and down the line up, similar to how we use Killorn. I don't see him spending much time on 4th line, but probably most of his time in the mid-6 with a couple of looks with the top line. Like, I don't think --

Paul - Stamkos - Kucherov
Palat - Point - X

--is a stretch at all, and allows us to spread our better talents around the line up.
Then that’s a good contract. Always nice to see a team and player agree to something both are happy with.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Then that’s a good contract. Always nice to see a team and player agree to something both are happy with.
And I'm not saying he will be a staple in the top-six or anything. I think we signed him to be a 3rd liner, but if you look at the way he was used--just his TOI even--and you can see his role increased almost by the day from the moment he got here. So he will get the opportunity to be more than a 3rd liner. Just a matter of whether or not he can be consistent with it, now that he won't be playing for a pay raise any time soon.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
This is a steal imo. Maybe a year too long, but it won’t be expensive to dump if he plays drop off the last year or two.

Hoping the Avs can sign Lehkonen to a similar contract, as Paul is a great comparable.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Seems a tad rich, but Paul was a force for the Bolts in these playoffs. And they acquired him from the Sens for Mathieu Joseph and a 2024 fourth rounder. Peanuts really. Ottawa may have 'seller's remorse' on this guy.
To be fair Joseph lit it up in his stint in Ottawa post trade. Small sample size though.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
The one strong playoff run into a mega contract special. An oldie but a goodie.

I like Paul at that price. It's certainly not without risk however. Players of his caliber drop off the face of the earth all the time, especially if there's injuries involved. That's what makes 7 years an eyebrow raiser.

Reactions: Pia8988

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad