Confirmed Signing with Link: [TBL] Erik Cernak signs extension (3 years, $2.95M AAV)

LordZapp

Jan 31, 2015
Texas
I heard Cernak would get around $2mm and Serge about 3.5-3.75mm. So the speculation on their deals has been wrong wrong wrong. Both signed what appear to be market deals. So will Cirelli.

So this idea a Selke candidate gets the crappy deal is amusing. He’ll get the best deal of the three. He’s the best player of their three RFAs. Star defensive forwards that play C don’t grow on trees. He’ll make plenty. My guess. 3 x $4.75mm per.

they have cap space if they keep their best forward on IR for the full season. Trade Killorn too and that gives you the cap room they’ll need.
Serg is the best player of the three, cirelli won't get more than serg.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Maybe. Maybe not. It will be close. Cirelli is the best player of the three IMO. He’s important, unique and young. If he were a UFA, he’d have 25+ teams after him.

he’s a better version of Danault, a guy that will have a huge list of suitors next summer.

I also think Cernak is underrated and Serge a little overrated.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I’d have given him the same offer the Avs gave Toews. Which as 4x4. But the Avs liked Toews better.

yet another non discounted RFA this offseason. All you guys telling us he’s sign for less than 2mm and you’d get all three under contract for less than $10mm. Not even close.

He’s pretty much at 3mm and this walks him to UFA.

with Cirelli going to cost close to 5mm AAV, it’s going be be much closer to 13mm to get all three. Which is a hell of a lot closer to what everyone said it would be.

and Johnson, Killorn, Groude all still on the team.

According to this hes a rfa after this:

Erik Cernak - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Reactions: BeingTheThunder

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Maybe. Maybe not. It will be close. Cirelli is the best player of the three IMO. He’s important, unique and young. If he were a UFA, he’d have 25+ teams after him.

he’s a better version of Danault, a guy that will have a huge list of suitors next summer.

Serg is easily the best of the 3. Cirelli will come in somewhere around 4.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

Cernak is maybe more valuable to the team because he would be harder to replace. We don't really have anybody as good as Cernak to take over his position. At center with Stamkos coming back we can replace Cirelli if we have to trade him.

Reactions: DFC

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Cernak is maybe more valuable to the team because he would be harder to replace. We don't really have anybody as good as Cernak to take over his position. At center with Stamkos coming back we can replace Cirelli if we have to trade him.
Exactly, in terms of positional depth, RD is our biggest weakspot. Losing Cernak would make us weak on the right. Losing Cirelli hurts, but C is still our strongest position.

SnakeIdol

Mar 3, 2018
I heard Cernak would get around $2mm and Serge about 3.5-3.75mm.
That's silly and just untrue. For over a year now ever since the Carlo and McAvoy deals Lightning fans have predicted around the same for Serge and Cernak.

Serge 4.8 X 3 McAvoy 4.9 X 3

Cernak 2.95 X 3 Carlo 2.85 X 2

I don't think they could've predicted it any better to be honest.

Hintz 3.15 X 3 and Cirelli will get around the same.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
There's a reason why some teams are winning Cups, while others (with really good young player’s too) aren’t even close. Teams like TBay are very smart with their signings of young players. They don’t give up too much money too soon, and have money left to round out their rosters with very good support guys.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Cirelli is probably the best currently but we're also stacked up front so his value to the team is less.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
That's silly and just untrue. For over a year now ever since the Carlo and McAvoy deals Lightning fans have predicted around the same for Serge and Cernak.

In all fairness, I predicted Cernak at 2-2.5 and Serge at 4-4.5 and I was the one who brought up Debrusk and Hintz as Cirelli contract comparables. I've been wrong by a bit. Not McJedi swing for the fences wrong. 5 million for Cirelli, 6.5 Million for Serge, and 4 Million for Cernak. And now he says he thinks Serge is overrated.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Serg is easily the best of the 3. Cirelli will come in somewhere around 4.

When did this narrative happen? I wouldn't put Serg in a top-4 role now and feel confident, he's extremely lucky to be behind Hedman and McDonagh, he's struggled heavily when taking big assignments. Cirelli is a bonafide #2C. We don't need to downplay him because he's not signed.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
I thought he'd be closer to Myers than that, but it's still a good contract. He has a nice 3rd year salary that would give him solid arbitration numbers.
When did this narrative happen? I wouldn't put Serg in a top-4 role now and feel confident, he's extremely lucky to be behind Hedman and McDonagh, he's struggled heavily when taking big assignments. Cirelli is a bonafide #2C. We don't need to downplay him because he's not signed.
Wait, Serg at 4.8M is a 3rd pairing guy?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Yeah not a chance. In the year 2020 if someone gets one we hear about it. Remember in 2019 there were 2-3 guys who got one and we didn’t hear initially but it came out in late July or early august. I forget now who they were but remember it

No player is actually sent an Offer Sheet. The Offer Sheet is a notification to the players team that the player has agreed to a contract with a different team.

Reactions: iamjs

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I thought he'd be closer to Myers than that, but it's still a good contract. He has a nice 3rd year salary that would give him solid arbitration numbers.

Yeah he is, the deal is fine since he's bound grow into a larger role but he doesn't get the heaviest assignments and his offensive numbers aren't exactly mind blowing either, he's probably overpaid currently if anything.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com

Actually Serg is a 2.4 M 3rd pairing guy this year, 4.8 M guy in the 2nd, and 7.2 M top pairing guy by the time this deal ends. Cernak is $1.475 M, 2.950 M, and $4.425 M by the time the deal ends. Lightning structure these bridge deals in a way that’s appropriate for how the team expects them to develop and grow into more prominent roles.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Actually Serg is a 2.4 M 3rd pairing guy this year, 4.8 M guy in the 2nd, and 7.2 M top pairing guy by the time this deal ends. Cernak is $1.475 M, 2.950 M, and $4.425 M by the time the deal ends. Lightning structure these bridge deals in a way that’s appropriate for how the team expects them to develop and grow into more prominent roles.
Means cernak his QA after 3 years starts at 4.425m and sergachev his QA starts at 7.2m avv ouch

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
A bit above market value. Not bad in a vacuum but not good for Tampa. Although, with everyone else taking sweetheart deals, I think you can get away with it

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Wrong again. You can keep trying if you like.
After years of choking despite having clear advantages over other teams in the league (warm weather, no state income tax, NHL’s southern bias), you gotta brag when you finally can!

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013

Tampa must be signing most of the contracts out there (Hintz, Gavrikov, Weegar) because that structure is very common due to the clawbacks (for the next 2 years) and for arbitration in the last year of their contract. I think you are selling Sherg short.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I heard Cernak would get around $2mm and Serge about 3.5-3.75mm. So the speculation on their deals has been wrong wrong wrong. Both signed what appear to be market deals. So will Cirelli.

So this idea a Selke candidate gets the crappy deal is amusing. He’ll get the best deal of the three. He’s the best player of their three RFAs. Star defensive forwards that play C don’t grow on trees. He’ll make plenty. My guess. 3 x $4.75mm per.

they have cap space if they keep their best forward on IR for the full season. Trade Killorn too and that gives you the cap room they’ll need.

The main team discount in both of the defensemen’s deal, more so with Sergachev, is the third year. Cernak’s deal could only be cheaper by being shorter. Evolving Hockey’s modeling had him at 3.345m for 3 years so this about as low as it could go. EH had two years at 2.363m so they could have went cheaper that way.

Evolving Hockey estimated Sergachev at 4.38m at 3 years but his market value is was pretty juiced obviously. Cirelli’s estimate is the highest at 4.442m so we’ll see what happens there.

The only misguided guesses were people suggesting one year/1m deals were even a good idea. I guess they could do that in an act of desperation but as seen with Labanc, a one year bridge deal should lead to a big long term deal. Bridge deals typically don’t lead to another short bridge unless a team doesn’t plan on keeping that player.

Reactions: SnakeIdol

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
All of our RFAs get this deal. It's not a surprise.

Well sure but how many RFA's have they signed in these circumstances. Anything was possible.

Clearly there's a plan in place otherwise they wouldn't have signed this deal and be in cap trouble with less than a month to go.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Crazy good deal and cheap, he'll be worth almost twice that AAV after 20-21 season is over i'm guessing.
He is my favorite Tampa d-man, been following him since his Erie Otters days.
- wish Hawks would of gone for him via trade

Reactions: BatVader

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad