Confirmed Signing with Link: [TBL] Erik Cernak signs extension (3 years, $2.95M AAV)

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
How in the world did he not get an offer sheet, makes absolutely no sense
Offering what? Whose’s giving Cernak way more than that? And it has significantly more, enough for him to sacrifice being on the Cup winning team he very wants to continue to be on.

Remember though, if a GM overpays Cernak to lure him away from Tampa then he may find later that his own RFAs want a similar overpayment.

Last edited:
Reactions: HBK27

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
It's for 100k more than Carlo, which sucks because Carlo is better.

But it is for an extra year.

So that seems like a fair deal.

Reactions: Five Alarm Fire

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
If someone offersheets Cirelli right now does that mean Tampa has one week to get under the off-season cap or else they can’t match? If so I don’t know why teams aren’t considering this.
You have 10% overage allowed until the season starts. So if a team offered say 6m to Cirelli, TBL would have to move players to get under about 89.6m cap.

And for record teams offering offer sheets. BWAHAHAHAHAHA

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Doesn't LTIR count for offseason cap as well? If so, then a trade is necessary for Cirelli to be signed prior to the season start.

No. Last season the Leafs were $10M over the cap but it was allowed because players were put on LTIR during the offseason. There's a persistent misconception that teams need to be cap compliant day 1 of the season.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
No. Last season the Leafs were $10M over the cap but it was allowed because players were put on LTIR during the offseason. There's a persistent misconception that teams need to be cap compliant day 1 of the season.

And here I thought offseason cap and LTIR relief pool were mutually exclusive ways to help teams get cap compliant. Maybe this is why NHL GMs take care of these teams and HF posters post on HF.

Reactions: Hitemwith4

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

Not a bad deal for either side. Feels like market. Same as the Serge contract.

so this idea Cirelli takes a discount is really up in smoke now. He’s going to be seeking close to $5mm AAV on a 3 year deal. Looks like Tampa may have to play the full 2020-21 season with their best forward on long term IR. Then trade Killorn and you got there with all your RFAs under contract. Not the way most saw you getting there but if it works. Why not.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
All those off sheets really came in and pushed Cernak's dollar value. I thought he'd sign for 2.5 for 2 years, but hey whatever, its not like @McJedi kept saying that Cernak wouldn't sign for less than 4.5M for 4 years.
I’d have given him the same offer the Avs gave Toews. Which as 4x4. But the Avs liked Toews better.

yet another non discounted RFA this offseason. All you guys telling us he’s sign for less than 2mm and you’d get all three under contract for less than $10mm. Not even close.

He’s pretty much at 3mm and this walks him to UFA.

with Cirelli going to cost close to 5mm AAV, it’s going be be much closer to 13mm to get all three. Which is a hell of a lot closer to what everyone said it would be.

and Johnson, Killorn, Groude all still on the team.

Saidin

Mar 18, 2015
tenor.gif

Are those real flames or video?

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Looks fine to me. I don’t think it’s a steal, but not an overpayment at all. Good work by Tampa to keep their group together.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
He's a good young player(only 23), but 3mil a year is a lot for that kind of player he is right now considering TBL's cap situation. They must be anticipating increased responsibility for him

It was either a cheap 1 year deal with the promise of signing him to a longer, pricier deal. Or this.

I think in the long-term this is a better contract for Tampa, but we'll see what the dominoes are for their current situation.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Great deal. He's worth a lot more than that. Was very good in the cup run.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It was either a cheap 1 year deal with the promise of signing him to a longer, pricier deal. Or this.

I think in the long-term this is a better contract for Tampa, but we'll see what the dominoes are for their current situation.

All of our RFAs get this deal. It's not a surprise.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Not a bad deal for either side. Feels like market. Same as the Serge contract.

so this idea Cirelli takes a discount is really up in smoke now. He’s going to be seeking close to $5mm AAV on a 3 year deal. Looks like Tampa may have to play the full 2020-21 season with their best forward on long term IR. Then trade Killorn and you got there with all your RFAs under contract. Not the way most saw you getting there but if it works. Why not.

Cirelli hasn't done nearly enough to warrant a bridge deal that pays him 5M. He'll get somewhere in the high 3's.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Cirelli hasn't done nearly enough to warrant a bridge deal that pays him 5M. He'll get somewhere in the high 3's.

Yup.

It's kind of bad luck that has kept Cirelli from getting a big contract. If he'd had a big playoff run, we'd be talking mid-4s, but he seemed to be playing injured and wasn't a huge factor. So he remains a player with massive potential that he's yet to cash in on. TB tends to not overpay guys in that category.

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
How in the world did he not get an offer sheet, makes absolutely no sense
He might have but maybe he didn't want to sign it and leave Tampa? Can't blame him, make good money, have sun year round, not be hounded by fans outside of the rink. Sounds pretty good to me.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I heard Cernak would get around $2mm and Serge about 3.5-3.75mm. So the speculation on their deals has been wrong wrong wrong. Both signed what appear to be market deals. So will Cirelli.

So this idea a Selke candidate gets the crappy deal is amusing. He’ll get the best deal of the three. He’s the best player of their three RFAs. Star defensive forwards that play C don’t grow on trees. He’ll make plenty. My guess. 3 x $4.75mm per.

they have cap space if they keep their best forward on IR for the full season. Trade Killorn too and that gives you the cap room they’ll need.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad