Confirmed with Link: [TBL/CHI] Slater Koekkoek + 5th for D Jan Rutta + 7th

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Point is going to be making over 10 a year? Miller + Callahan is just over 11mil, we don't need to move that much to sign Point.

I mean in conjuction with Kucherov and McDonagh's raises. We're still expected to lose (I count this as "moving") at least one defenseman to UFA.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
According to cap friendly we have $73,123,331 locked into next season with the cap being raised to 83 million. That's 10 forwards, 4 defenders, and 2 goalies.

They can make things interesting if they trade Miller and Callahan.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
According to cap friendly we have $73,123,331 locked into next season with the cap being raised to 83 million. That's 10 forwards, 4 defenders, and 2 goalies.

They can make things interesting if they trade Miller and Callahan.

Point is gonna get most of that, regardless of what kind of deal he signs. Then you have Kucherov and McDonagh's raises kicking in.

I think we can keep most of what we have now, and not take a step backward next season. But adding Karlsson at 10+ would probably mean several more moves. Just doesn't feel realistic, nor necessary, at this point.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Point is gonna get most of that, regardless of what kind of deal he signs. Then you have Kucherov and McDonagh's raises kicking in.

I think we can keep most of what we have now, and not take a step backward next season. But adding Karlsson at 10+ would probably mean several more moves. Just doesn't feel realistic, nor necessary, at this point.

No, it's not probable. Of course not, but it could happen. I said I believe, so obviously I'm setting objectivity to the side. Don't forget that this team was in on Tavares before we even signed Kucherov. You shouldn't dismiss that we could make it work. We are losing our entire right side with the exception of Cernak, so the need is there. It's no secret that Tampa has needed a strong offensive RHD and there is a solid connection and plenty of insider feedback that Karlsson wants to come here. The want is there.

By the way those numbers factor in everyone's raises. We have about $10 million to play with and a solid pipeline.

Also, one more thing. In the history of Tampa Bay sports we have NEVER signed a big fish free agent. Not the Bucs, not the Rays, and certainly not the Bolts. I would like to see it happen.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
No, it's not probable. Of course not, but it could happen. I said I believe, so obviously I'm setting objectivity to the side. Don't forget that this team was in on Tavares before we even signed Kucherov. You shouldn't dismiss that we could make it work. We are losing our entire right side with the exception of Cernak, so the need is there. It's no secret that Tampa has needed a strong offensive RHD and there is a solid connection and plenty of insider feedback that Karlsson wants to come here. The want is there.

By the way those numbers factor in everyone's raises. We have about $10 million to play with and a solid pipeline.

Also, one more thing. In the history of Tampa Bay sports we have NEVER signed a big fish free agent. Not the Bucs, not the Rays, and certainly not the Bolts. I would like to see it happen.

This year was different than next. Had we signed Tavares or acquired Karlsson, we probably would have traded Johnson and maybe Callahan. Then Miller would probably still have to be moved this year. Then we have Vasy and Sergachev coming. But the moves would have been made over a long period of time. Bringing in Karlsson next year would require a bunch of moves all at once. I don't even know that we would come out a better team for it. I mean, if it only cost us Miller, Callahan, and Stralman, then sure, go for it. But if we start dipping into Johnson, Killorn, Palat territory, on top of those other moves, I'm not so sure. As good as Karlsson is, I'm not sure he's worth shaking the roster up over, at least not without a huge discount.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Somebody better with the numbers can chime in, but we'd still be on the hook for something like 5m, cap-wise, if we waived him. I think we might buy him out if we can't find any takers.
oh yes next year we buy him out but I would have rather waived callahan to the minors then traded Slater KK for what we got back

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
This year was different than next. Had we signed Tavares or acquired Karlsson, we probably would have traded Johnson and maybe Callahan. Then Miller would probably still have to be moved this year. Then we have Vasy and Sergachev coming. But the moves would have been made over a long period of time. Bringing in Karlsson next year would require a bunch of moves all at once. I don't even know that we would come out a better team for it. I mean, if it only cost us Miller, Callahan, and Stralman, then sure, go for it. But if we start dipping into Johnson, Killorn, Palat territory, on top of those other moves, I'm not so sure. As good as Karlsson is, I'm not sure he's worth shaking the roster up over, at least not without a huge discount.
I'd rather Keep Stralman for like a 2 year deal for 4.5 avv per year then go after Karlsson at this point. I really don't Want to gut our team since we only got like 8 losses in the standings and its mid january.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
oh yes next year we buy him out but I would have rather waived callahan to the minors then traded Slater KK for what we got back

I'm just hoping JBB saw something useful in Rutta the way he has with other minor league talents. If Rutta can be an impact AHLer, the deal was probably worth it. I think there's value in teaching guys how to win in the minors.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I'm just hoping JBB saw something useful in Rutta the way he has with other minor league talents. If Rutta can be an impact AHLer, the deal was probably worth it. I think there's value in teaching guys how to win in the minors.
from what hawks fans say Rutta is worthless in the NHL and on a expired deal I think we lost this trade sure he will be ok for the crunch but the lightning nope

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
from what hawks fans say Rutta is worthless in the NHL and on a expired deal I think we lost this trade sure he will be ok for the crunch but the lightning nope

Well, Koekkoek was never going to be okay for either, so if Rutta can be a quality AHLer, it'll work out okay. Not like we paid some kind of massive price. But a lot of players believed to be worthless wound up here, and thrived (Gourde, Girardi, Marchessault). So I'm holding out hope that our scouting staff believes Rutta is a quality player.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

Going after Karlsson this upcoming summer always made a lot more sense than trying to sign Tavares last year, because of the mass exodus of our veteran defenders. The only thing I think has really changed is that Point has turned into a Hart candidate and eliminated our options. Do I believe Karlsson is worth a roster shake up? I'd be a damn fool to think we should break up a roster like this, but it's also hard to imagine what kind of boon adding Karlsson to this lineup would do.

If we trade Miller and Callahan, we will have over $20million in cap space to play with. If they both take reasonable discounts, maybe something could happen.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Stupid trade. If a depth defenseman to bury in Syracuse is what they want then why didn't they just claim Dotchin when Anaheim waived him? Too proud because of what happened? Come on. Dotchin is much better than Rutta. They just wasted a 5th outta pure stupidity. If they really really didn't want Dotchin they still could have waived Koekkoek and since you can only dress a limited amount of vets some franchise would have been more than happy to part with an AHL defender for less than a 5th.
Joseph was a late 4th and is already an NHL regular as well as second in rookie goal scoring tied with Svetchnikov. The Bolts Scouting Department must be freaking out...
By the way...from the same 2015 draft, a few 5th rounders are NHL regulars already. Simon, Garland and Jaros are regulars, Balcers and Gaudette will be soon.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Stupid trade. If a depth defenseman to bury in Syracuse is what they want then why didn't they just claim Dotchin when Anaheim waived him? Too proud because of what happened? Come on. Dotchin is much better than Rutta. They just wasted a 5th outta pure stupidity. If they really really didn't want Dotchin they still could have waived Koekkoek and since you can only dress a limited amount of vets some franchise would have been more than happy to part with an AHL defender for less than a 5th.
Joseph was a late 4th and is already an NHL regular as well as second in rookie goal scoring tied with Svetchnikov. The Bolts Scouting Department must be freaking out...
By the way...from the same 2015 draft, a few 5th rounders are NHL regulars already. Simon, Garland and Jaros are regulars, Balcers and Gaudette will be soon.
Uh they didn't claim Dotchin because then they would have to keep him up in the NHL where they already had too many players. Well, besides the fact that they already know they didn't want him.

Reactions: Rschmitz

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
I guess it will turn out to be a 40 pick difference at the end of the draft, which won't amount to much. You don't play mind games with players at that stage of the draft anyway, if you don't pick who you want in the last round, they generally go undrafted. Despite saying that, completely unnecessary trade of picks, getting a reclamation project in a 1st round draftee like Koekkoek should be reward enough to solve our roster "issues" of that little magnitude.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
I don't understand this trade. I thought it might be because Rutta had a favorable contract but he doesn't. Just a slightly more reliable playoff rental?

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I don't understand this trade. I thought it might be because Rutta had a favorable contract but he doesn't. Just a slightly more reliable playoff rental?

You'd think Chicago would be elated to get rid of that contract and get the young potential starter huh. Had to be coaxed into it with a better pick :huh: oh well

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
Don't forget that this team was in on Tavares before we even signed Kucherov.

True but it’s also worth noting that the team has since inked Yanni Gourde to a sizable and long-term contract, thus losing some of the flexibility adding a premium addition like Karlsson would require.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
True but it’s also worth noting that the team has since inked Yanni Gourde to a sizable and long-term contract, thus losing some of the flexibility adding a premium addition like Karlsson would require.

It won't be easy or simple. I still believe :crossfing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad