Confirmed with Link: [TBL/CHI] Slater Koekkoek + 5th for D Jan Rutta + 7th

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
The only one that was a reach was Koekkoek. Drouin was ranked top 3, Connolly was top 3 going into his draft year but slipped to a top 5-10 due to injury that year. Koekkoek was the only one that was picked well ahead of his rankings but he was still a late teens early 20's kid, not like he wasn't still highly rated.

Koekkoek was also hurt his draft year which effected his stock

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
The roadblock I seen with a trade, was that Koekkoek is an NHL quality defender. Getting Ruuta in that regards makes sense, because as an NHL quality defender he basically replaces the depth lost with Koekkoek. The Bolts basically paid the difference between a 5th and a 7th, and in return they don't have to worry about losing that depth to waivers, and they get that depth on the right side.

Pretty meh trade all around if you look at it from the perspective that the Bolts had moved on from Koekkoek and apparently have other intentions for the left side moving forward. I'll freely question their plan though, because it's JBB calling the shots now and not Yzerman.

Seems very risky throwing Masin into the third pairing role, which means they either A) Go with Sergachev as the #3 LHD, or B) Sign a cheap FA

Would anybody be upset with this lineup next year?

Hedman-Stralman
McDonagh-Foote
Sergachev-Cernak
Masin

With EK as a wild card.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
The roadblock I seen with a trade, was that Koekkoek is an NHL quality defender. Getting Ruuta in that regards makes sense, because as an NHL quality defender he basically replaces the depth lost with Koekkoek. The Bolts basically paid the difference between a 5th and a 7th, and in return they don't have to worry about losing that depth to waivers, and they get that depth on the right side.

Pretty meh trade all around if you look at it from the perspective that the Bolts had moved on from Koekkoek and apparently have other intentions for the left side moving forward. I'll freely question their plan though, because it's JBB calling the shots now and not Yzerman.

Seems very risky throwing Masin into the third pairing role, which means they either A) Go with Sergachev as the #3 LHD, or B) Sign a cheap FA

Would anybody be upset with this lineup next year?

Hedman-Stralman
McDonagh-Foote
Sergachev-Cernak
Masin

With EK as a wild card.

If sticking to just those seven, I think I would rather see...

Hedman-Strålman
McDonagh-Cernak
Masin-Sergachev
Foote

From most accounts, Foote is farther from the regular NHL roster than Masin. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
The only one that was a reach was Koekkoek. Drouin was ranked top 3, Connolly was top 3 going into his draft year but slipped to a top 5-10 due to injury that year. Koekkoek was the only one that was picked well ahead of his rankings but he was still a late teens early 20's kid, not like he wasn't still highly rated.

Koekkoek is the most egregious, for sure. And you're right, Drouin and Connolly could both be defended at the time. I was very pro-Drouin for a long time. But for where Jones and Fowler were ranked thoughout their respective draft years though, it definitely made them worth questioning at the time.

Last edited:

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

Hedman-Strålman
McDonagh-Cernak
Masin-Sergachev
Foote

From most accounts, Foote is farther from the regular NHL roster than Masin. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Masin would have to clear waivers. Foote doesn't, if Foote can't make the club I'd like to see them figure out another option on the right hand side.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
KK just did not appear to have the hockey smarts, IMHO. Speed and skill, yes, ability to figure out how to play our style of hockey? Not so much.

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
Did he? I can't recall, I think they'd eventually make a nice pairing though.
Well, they certainly were on ice together. Mb it were some random shifts. Who knows what Cooper does. Btw, their pairing SAT% = 50.

Last edited:

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Koekkoek is the most egregious, for sure. And you're right, Drouin and Connolly could both be defended at the time. I was very pro-Drouin for a long time. But for where Jones and Fowler were ranked thoughout their respective draft years though, it definitely made them worth questioning at the time.
Factor in that we were in desperate need to add to our defensive depth it was actually really mind boggling we did not go for Seth Jones, a mostly NHL ready player. Picking him was such a no-brainer.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017

Hedman-Strålman
McDonagh-Cernak
Masin-Sergachev
Foote

Haven't really been impressed by Masin when I've watched him. Don't see a future nhl player there. Foote also shouldn't be a 7th dman.

Sign Rutta for cheap next year and see what happens.

Hedman-Strålman
Mcdonagh-Rutta
Sergachev-Cernak
Masin

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Haven't really been impressed by Masin when I've watched him. Don't see a future nhl player there. Foote also shouldn't be a 7th dman.

Sign Rutta for cheap next year and see what happens.

Hedman-Strålman
Mcdonagh-Rutta
Sergachev-Cernak
Masin

Yeah, I don't feel that Masin is one who can be relied on as an every day NHLer yet. He makes the team because of waiver eligibility, hasn't really shown that he can excel at this level though.

I feel that Foote could definitely make the club. If you take out the first month and a half of the season as an adjustment period, he is performing splendidly. By the end of this year he may look NHL ready.

Still big question marks. Is Strals coming back? Are we still crossing our fingers for EK?

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Yeah, I don't feel that Masin is one who can be relied on as an every day NHLer yet. He makes the team because of waiver eligibility, hasn't really shown that he can excel at this level though.

I feel that Foote could definitely make the club. If you take out the first month and a half of the season as an adjustment period, he is performing splendidly. By the end of this year he may look NHL ready.

Still big question marks. Is Strals coming back? Are we still crossing our fingers for EK?

Where does the money for EK come from? Really don't think it's realistic at this point.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon

It would be great if Foote would be NHL ready by next season.

It makes sense to keep one of the three of Strålman, Coburn and Girardi, otherwise we'd be very rookie/youngster heavy in our D. Hopefully Stråls would come back on a short term contract as he's the best of the three vets and is a RHS. Though Coburn is having an awesome year and plays both sides well.

Personally, I think our chances for getting EK evaporated once we signed McDonagh to a long term contract. But who knows?

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
It would be great if Foote would be NHL ready by next season.

It makes sense to keep one of the three of Strålman, Coburn and Girardi, otherwise we'd be very rookie/youngster heavy in our D. Hopefully Stråls would come back on a short term contract as he's the best of the three vets and is a RHS. Though Coburn is having an awesome year and plays both sides well.

Personally, I think our chances for getting EK evaporated once we signed McDonagh to a long term contract. But who knows?

Foote has been getting a lot better since the start of this year. He used to look like Sustr out there but he seems a lot more comfortable right now. He would still need to improve a lot for the nhl though. If he could noticeably improve his skating in the summer then maybe he could be ready for bottom pairing minutes. I just feel like it would be perfect for him next year to play a lot of minutes on the top pairing for the Crunch.

As long as we are able to sign Strålman we shouldn't have any problems on the blue line. It really doesn't matter who the 6th guy is. Even this looks fine:

Hedman-Strålman
Mcdonagh-Cernak
Sergachev-Sustr

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Foote has been getting a lot better since the start of this year. He used to look like Sustr out there but he seems a lot more comfortable right now. He would still need to improve a lot for the nhl though. If he could noticeably improve his skating in the summer then maybe he could be ready for bottom pairing minutes. I just feel like it would be perfect for him next year to play a lot of minutes on the top pairing for the Crunch.

As long as we are able to sign Strålman we shouldn't have any problems on the blue line. It really doesn't matter who the 6th guy is. Even this looks fine:

Hedman-Strålman
Mcdonagh-Cernak
Sergachev-Sustr

SUSTR!?!?! o_O
:has a mild heart attack before realizing cc is just making a point:
:phew:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Miller and Callahan being dealt and Point and EK taking modest discounts with the help of lower taxes

I think we need to move more than Miller and Callahan just to get Point under contract. Karlsson would require an earthquake to the core of the team.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I think we need to move more than Miller and Callahan just to get Point under contract. Karlsson would require an earthquake to the core of the team.
heck we could waive callahan to the minors nobody is going to claim him on waivers and if they do they that's even better for us.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
heck we could waive callahan to the minors nobody is going to claim him on waivers and if they do they that's even better for us.

Somebody better with the numbers can chime in, but we'd still be on the hook for something like 5m, cap-wise, if we waived him. I think we might buy him out if we can't find any takers.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Point is going to be making over 10 a year? Miller + Callahan is just over 11mil, we don't need to move that much to sign Point.

Reactions: Hoek

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad