Confirmed with Link: [TBL/CHI] Slater Koekkoek + 5th for D Jan Rutta + 7th

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Hawks fan here. Rutta was a top 4 guy for us last season when he was healthy. He was good on the PK, had decent speed for his size, and was surprisingly decent at choosing when to jump up in a play to create offense.

But again, that was when he was healthy, and he wasn't healthy all too often. Us Hawks fans were hoping he'd have a less injury ridden season, but he pulled a groin during training camp and looked a step or two slower, which made his play drop off a cliff.

I have little idea of how he's looked since the Hawks sent him to the AHL a month or so ago. If he's fully healed, he'll be a solid addition to your bottom pair. If he's still reeling from injuries, he'll be nothing more than a #7 or 8 defensemen.

If it makes you all feel better, we traded Trevor Daley to Pittsburgh in 2016 and he won two cups there. We traded Michael Kempny to Washington, and he won a cup. Maybe it's Tampa's turn?

Houdas

Mining the Lightning
Aug 17, 2014
Prague/Ostrava
The guy is pretty fine i believe. Rather offensively minded while in czech leagues. He has a good potential.

Maybe one of coburn or girardi is out?

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
I'm assuming the plan is to play Rutta in Syracuse this season to see what we have. He will also help if we have any injuries. We will then probably re-sign him for cheap and have him play in the nhl next year when we lose some of our depth.

I think it's a good move with little risk. at best if he gets back to his old level we have a top 4 dman for free next year. at worst we just downgraded a late pick for some ahl depth. Much rather this than trading Koekkoek for a 5th round pick tbh.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
The easy choice for the team would have been to send Cernak down to the AHL to avoid a roster issue. I appreciate that the Lightning aren't afraid to make a trade when a deserving rookie steals a roster spot and it's part of what has made this team so good.

Reactions: BoltzManConstant

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
the transition to Chicago so we can play in an outdoor game begins...

Ruuta is 28 already, so what we see is pretty much what we're getting.

Reactions: The Macho Man

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
We would have been better off trading koekoekk for a 4th round draft pick. We spent a 5th round pick to downgrade to a 7th rounder this trade was stupid. All this did was help the crunch and it cost us a higher draft pick ! Now if we got a 5th rounder and gave up the 7th rounder that’s a whole different story

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
This is a great trade for the crunch, not sure about the Lightning. Surprised we dealt KK and downgraded dread position. Seems like a win for CHI on the surface.

We will see how it plays out. At least he’s a RH shot.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
We would have been better off trading koekoekk for a 4th round draft pick. We spent a 5th round pick to downgrade to a 7th rounder this trade was stupid. All this did was help the crunch and it cost us a higher draft pick ! Now if we got a 5th rounder and gave up the 7th rounder that’s a whole different story
Bolts love their 7th rounders

Reactions: Hit The Lights

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Draft classes go in tiers, and there aren't a lot of nerds who will fight you tooth and nail over that prospect x is a 5th rounder and not a 6th. It seems like it's a pretty open field late in the draft.

Reactions: SotasicA

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
As a 7/8th D there isn't much difference in the players. Rutta has looked a bit better as an NHLer in the past while Koekkoek still hasn't put together a long enough stretch. Since Rutta already cleared waivers his value is higher since we don't have to risk him like we would Koekkoek, plus the left side in Syracuse is fine. Rutta makes the right side even stronger than the left now and gives the Crunch a serious top 4/6. The cap difference is the only thing that gets me as the value between the two was close maybe favoring Rutta because he cleared but double the cap is odd, we don't have cap issues so doesn't matter but the picks should've been even or not there.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Let’s be real here, Rutta cleared waivers. If KK wouldn’t have cleared waivers that means the NHL likes KK better.

Lightning disagree and gave up draft position to get him.
Minor deal so no biggie.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
5th and 7th round are pretty much the same thing. We've actually drafted better in the 7th round with Al Murray than the 5th. Really don't understand why people focus so much on something so irrelevant.

I think we win this trade easily. Koekkoek has never shown anything at all. There is a reason we played f***ing Sustr over him. Rutta at least has a history of playing some good hockey even if he isn't playing well right now. And even though he apparently has been bad this year his stats still look way better than Koekkoek's

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
This is a great trade for the crunch, not sure about the Lightning. Surprised we dealt KK and downgraded dread position. Seems like a win for CHI on the surface.

We will see how it plays out. At least he’s a RH shot.

We all know who Brisebois' favorite child is now.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
As a 7/8th D there isn't much difference in the players. Rutta has looked a bit better as an NHLer in the past while Koekkoek still hasn't put together a long enough stretch. Since Rutta already cleared waivers his value is higher since we don't have to risk him like we would Koekkoek, plus the left side in Syracuse is fine. Rutta makes the right side even stronger than the left now and gives the Crunch a serious top 4/6. The cap difference is the only thing that gets me as the value between the two was close maybe favoring Rutta because he cleared but double the cap is odd, we don't have cap issues so doesn't matter but the picks should've been even or not there.
I agree with everything here

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
And in return we got McD, Miller, Sergachev, Rutta, Katchouk, and Spencer (not positive who those two seconds for Connolly turned into). For our needs right now, I say overall win.

We lose big when you account for opportunity cost though. We reached for all three of Drouin, Koekkoek, Connolly and missed out on Jones, Forsberg, Fowler. Those last three were all the highest rated players on the board too, so it isn't just a matter of hindsight is 20/20. The Koekkoek pick still pisses me off to this day.

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
We lose big when you account for opportunity cost though. We reached for all three of Drouin, Koekkoek, Connolly and missed out on Jones, Forsberg, Fowler. Those last three were all the highest rated players on the board too, so it isn't just a matter of hindsight is 20/20. The Koekkoek pick still pisses me off to this day.
For sure. As good as Murray has been in later rounds, his first round picks have missed. I’m just saying Yzerman did good in the salvage effort.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
The only one that was a reach was Koekkoek. Drouin was ranked top 3, Connolly was top 3 going into his draft year but slipped to a top 5-10 due to injury that year. Koekkoek was the only one that was picked well ahead of his rankings but he was still a late teens early 20's kid, not like he wasn't still highly rated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad