Confirmed with Link: [TBL/CHI] Lightning trade Tyler Johnson and a 2023 2nd rd pick for Brent Seabrook

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
Blackhawks were a .500 team and will get Toews back and just added a Vezina winner, Seth Jones, and Tyler Johnson.

I've got my money on them going to the playoffs (but probably not making a deep run).

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
Loved Johnson during that first Cup final run and even bought his jersey back then. He had to go though but he'll always be part of this special group of players we had the last couple of years.

Hopefully he can rejuvinate his career in Chicago. Thanks for everything, TJ!

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
This is a mixed bag for Tampa cap wise.

I don't think most posters realize how much better it is to be under the cap ceiling vs using LTIR to be cap complaint. Tampa was set up for 2020-21 to not use LTIR the entire season, meaning they'd accumulate cap space over the season for pro-rated trade deadline deals.

Tampa chose to pay less assets to get rid of Johnson then it would have otherwise required by taking back a negative asset from Chicago in Seabrook and locking Tampa into LTIR for the entire year.

Reactions: Hoek

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Obviously it was necessary, but really sad to see TyJo go, as he was my favourite player :(

Glad he had a good playoffs and ended his spell with head held high! So many great moments and memories!

Think he still got lot of hockey in him, wishing him best of luck in Chicago! (just not against us!)

Reactions: Peacefool

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Blackhawks were a .500 team and will get Toews back and just added a Vezina winner, Seth Jones, and Tyler Johnson.

I've got my money on them going to the playoffs (but probably not making a deep run).

Their goaltending situation is massively improved. They will make a deep run in a weak West.

DaBolts

Feb 3, 2015

JFBB on the phone with other GMs:

200.gif

DaBolts

Feb 3, 2015
Sad to see TJ go but it had to happen. Best of luck in your next chapter of your career!

Yeah, he was awesome in the playoffs and will be missed. He will go down as one of the Bolts all time greats.

But what an awesome move by JFBB.

Reactions: Peacefool

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I wonder if we don’t trade Seabrook contract at some point just to get out of the LTIR nonsense

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
A few others have mentioned him but IMO he's still not getting enough love in all of this; Jeff Vinik is one hell of an owner. The Cups and now this because, even with insurance, he's willing to cut huge chunks out of his piece of the pie. You think Tom Dundon allows this deal to go down?

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
You miss a lot when you're asleep.

TJ have been a part of the team for a long time and he is a good player and a good guy.
I just wish him the best and I am glad that he got trade to an actual good team though it's tough that we couldn't get anything for him and also gave up a 2nd. I hope it works out for us and for him.

BoltsFanPinellasPark

Apr 18, 2018
Where was this deal at last season? Just curious? Not big into the finances but I guess it would have been overkill?

Anyways, sad to see TJ go. Kinda knew it was coming. So did he. That didnt stop him from showing up for his team last season and having an impact.

He and this organization are just pure class.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007

I don't think most posters realize how much better it is to be under the cap ceiling vs using LTIR to be cap complaint. Tampa was set up for 2020-21 to not use LTIR the entire season, meaning they'd accumulate cap space over the season for pro-rated trade deadline deals.

Tampa chose to pay less assets to get rid of Johnson then it would have otherwise required by taking back a negative asset from Chicago in Seabrook and locking Tampa into LTIR for the entire year.
lmao, i mean you're right, but we're not really in the market for trade deadline deals this year. we've been selling 0ut the future for several years now, and we have to see what these kids can do, while trying to keep some intangible assets to re-stock the pool.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Hopefully Seabrook doesn't injury him again when they cross paths at the airport.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
i might be dumb but i see no negative here....we get seabrook almost 7 milly to play with at each trade deadline for the next 3 years?? i think jbb aint playing at all and gonna keep stocking us up each year...i love this deal
The negative is we gotta continue playing games with the LTIR instead of just having the cap space to use. It's a little less freedom. Unless we just ship Seabrook's contract to Arizona or something for another pick.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Request for someone with talent:

JBB's face on this, and "Eighteen" instead of six.
MV5BMTQ2NTM2NTY1Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjgwNTkwMDE@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

Ideally we'd be under the cap, but I think giving a first for a rental was a one-time thing anyway. Probably going to be looking to bring in a cheap contract with term again (a la Goodrow/Coleman) rather than a big ticket player.

This pretty much ends the Damocles cap crunch for Tampa going forward, but I don't think JBB is going to look to put himself in the same position right away.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Commercial on TV: [whiskey voice] Are you a player's wife in the NHL. Do you like sun and shrewd cap space moves. Then look no further. Tell your husband about alligators and home brew. Join the Tampa Bay family. Because roster size matters.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
A few others have mentioned him but IMO he's still not getting enough love in all of this; Jeff Vinik is one hell of an owner. The Cups and now this because, even with insurance, he's willing to cut huge chunks out of his piece of the pie. You think Tom Dundon allows this deal to go down?
Best owner in the league, one of the best owners in all of sports. Love this man. He deserves more credit and praise. We are very lucky to have him. Terrific man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad