Confirmed with Link: [TBL/CHI] Lightning trade two 1st rd picks, Raddysh, and Katchouk for Brandon Hagel, and two 4th rd picks

SnakeIdol

Mar 3, 2018
I would not breakup the fine wine line. Analytically the Bellemare, Maroon, and Perry line has been one of the best producing lines in the NHL.

Palat-Point-Kucherov

Stamkos-Cirelli-Killorn

Hagel- Colton- Joseph

Maroon-Bellemare-Perry

Reactions: Crunchrulz

Hammerlik

Feb 13, 2022
I would not breakup the fine wine line. Analytically the Bellemare, Maroon, and Perry line has been one of the best producing lines in the NHL.

Palat-Point-Kucherov

Stamkos-Cirelli-Killorn

Hagel- Colton- Joseph

Maroon-Bellemare-Perry
Suddenly the 3rd line doesn't look too bad. Hagel should be definitely paired with someone with skill and speed. So unless he is paired with Maroon and Bell, we are good. Now we just need Jo to start finishing his chances and we have secondary scoring covered.

Let's trust the JFBB/Coop plan!

Reactions: SnakeIdol

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
I'm ok with the strategy but surprised to see so many here already sold on Hagel. Great shot and gritty, but I keep hearing about how he is a complete player and he certainly isn't one yet. Reading comparisons to Palat, it's just laughable, we don't need him to be thankfully. Looking forward to seeing what niche he fills soon.
The deal is done, ergo, they're sold on Hagel because they have to be. Such is the avid sports fans reasoning - raging optimism unless or until results prove otherwise.

Just to be clear, this post is in no way a criticism of the trade, I fully support it and think it was good move. It's more of a criticism of some of the commentary about his abilities, much of which has been completely over the top for a player with such a limited track record.

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
Stamkos - Point - Kucherov

Killorn - Colton - Hagel

Palat - Cirelli - Perry

Maroon - Bellemare - Joseph

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
Solid trade by JBB. Expensive -- very expensive -- but we desperately need NHL-quality guys on cheap deals over then next 3 years (after that we start to get relief, with Stammer's deal ending).

It was not clear that either Katchouk or Raddysh is really NHL-quality. This makes us better for three years, which is a lot to get out of a deadline deal.

But the price we're paying for what we getting here just points out what a huge miss we had on Verhaeghe. Better player, lower cap hit (although he gets more expensive next year). Can't blame JBB, given that we had zero cap flexibility and we couldn't predict that Verhaeghe was going to break out like he did, but that one hurts.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
The deal is done, ergo, they're sold on Hagel because they have to be. Such is the avid sports fans reasoning - raging optimism unless or until results prove otherwise.

Just to be clear, this post is in no way a criticism of the trade, I fully support it and think it was good move. It's more of a criticism of some of the commentary about his abilities, much of which has been completely over the top for a player with such a limited track record.

Obviously JBB is sold on him, as a fan you don't have to be. I respect everyones opinions though

Ducati Boy

HF Original
Feb 7, 2018
I'm ok with the strategy but surprised to see so many here already sold on Hagel. Great shot and gritty, but I keep hearing about how he is a complete player and he certainly isn't one yet. Reading comparisons to Palat, it's just laughable, we don't need him to be thankfully. Looking forward to seeing what niche he fills soon.
Can’t speak for others but this is a guy I’ve seen about a dozen times, who I really liked, and wanted for the Bolts, even before his name was placed on the trading block or we were said to be in the mix. Heart n soul guy on the ascension. Looks pretty close to complete to me. I think he’s a new name to some fans who don’t notice other teams’ players much.

Also, not sure where the ‘great shot’ evaluation comes from — he’s a clinical close-in finisher. Right now, I’d say his productive value is well above that of Palat — although, in his defense, Palat may be nursing an injury.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
To compensate for that his shooting percentage is above 20% :sarcasm:
In HF world, scoring on a lot of your chances is apparently a bad thing.
Go figure.
I kinda expect his numbers to dip a little here. I think he'll follow a similar path like Blake Coleman who had to be an offense guy on a terrible scoring team like NJ, and was then tasked to be a shutdown guy with us. Like Coleman, maybe he doesn't hit 20 goals again without playing in a top 6 or on a 1st PP unit. But I think Coop and JBB are completely ok with that. We targeted him because he can help with some of our shortcomings elsewhere.

Reactions: Hoek

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
McDonagh:
"Everything you read and hear about this player is very positive. For a young guy to be making the strides he has in this league is pretty impressive. I'm sure Chicago probably didn't want to give him up after the year he's been having, but we offered a pretty hefty package too. We're excited to get him, and get him up to speed with our group, and get him implemented right away. Certainly you feel for Katchouk and Raddysh as well. Two guys that have been here for a long time, and helped get us to where we are today in the season standings, but you're excited for them too. It's a great opportunity for them to continue their NHL careers."
"No doubt it helps. It sends a little bit of a message again that you're always looking to improve. Management's going to do whatever it can to help the team get a little bit better. Obviously we think this player is going to help us in a lot of different areas."
Bellemare:
"At this time of the year they're trying to give us the best chance, and he's having a really good year so you can't be complaining with him coming in."
"I remember the trade this team did a few years ago for Barclay Goodrow, and I was thinking like 'woah, they wanted to pick up that guy.' And then he ended up being like a key piece on 2 Stanley Cups. So when you talk about trust the process, I think this team's been doing a great job with it. I'm more memorable with that trade, than the ones I've been apart of."

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
wow I dont know this guy, but Raddysh Katchouk and 2 firsts sounds kinda heavy. I am not discussing this trade I believe in JBB but how u guys think is it worth? I am sure u discussed that in 7 pages, but i really dont have time tu read all of them, can someone just write me summary?)

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Dude’s on a bargain deal for two more years and a RFA after that. Cap hit is king and comes with a big price tag. I don’t think we overpaid although his current shooting % does not seem sustainable. But the kid’s all hustle, exactly what our front office likes.

Reactions: BoltzManConstant

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
wow I dont know this guy, but Raddysh Katchouk and 2 firsts sounds kinda heavy. I am not discussing this trade I believe in JBB but how u guys think is it worth? I am sure u discussed that in 7 pages, but i really dont have time tu read all of them, can someone just write me summary?)
He makes 1.5m for two years after this one. We paid a hefty price to help extend our window.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Can’t speak for others but this is a guy I’ve seen about a dozen times, who I really liked, and wanted for the Bolts, even before his name was placed on the trading block or we were said to be in the mix. Heart n soul guy on the ascension. Looks pretty close to complete to me. I think he’s a new name to some fans who don’t notice other teams’ players much.

Also, not sure where the ‘great shot’ evaluation comes from — he’s a clinical close-in finisher. Right now, I’d say his productive value is well above that of Palat — although, in his defense, Palat may be nursing an injury.

I am aware he scores most of his goals in close, and that is where I have questions. Those soft spots around the net disappear when the playoffs begin and he's not a big guy that can bully his way around the crease. The "great shot" evaluation is my own, from the Bolts playing Chicago the last two years and plenty of video evidence. Add a little bit of speed and I get the Coleman/Gourde comparisons because the speed/grit dynamic is hard to account for.

Again, however, the Palat comparison is annoying. He doesn't have the two way game of Palat, he'll have to grow into it

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
A third line where Joseph is the driver doesn't seem to work. The guy has bricks for hands.

We have to step things up soon, the wild card is only 3 points away.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I am aware he scores most of his goals in close, and that is where I have questions. Those soft spots around the net disappear when the playoffs begin and he's not a big guy that can bully his way around the crease. The "great shot" evaluation is my own, from the Bolts playing Chicago the last two years and plenty of video evidence. Add a little bit of speed and I get the Coleman/Gourde comparisons because the speed/grit dynamic is hard to account for.

Again, however, the Palat comparison is annoying. He doesn't have the two way game of Palat, he'll have to grow into it
I think we will have to wait and see how well he gets in close. If he's still battling in there, well, those are the guys we need. Because even though those soft spots disappear, that's still where the majority of goals are scored in the playoffs. I remember Yanni Gourde looking pretty terrible in his first couple of runs, but then he figured it out in 2020. He didn't score the lights out or anything, and neither will Hagel, but 5+ goals on a lengthy run would, IMO, be good.

To me, Cirelli is still a guy we're waiting for to "figure it out" in the playoffs. He was just okay, IMO, last year, and one of our worst forwards the year before.

So I just think we should wait and see. Maybe Hagel gets bullied in the playoffs, but there's also a chance he can dart in like a Brayden Point and get his stick on a puck before somebody wraps him up. Or maybe he's strong enough to be more of a Killorn type up there. All I'm really saying is, even if those dirty areas get even dirtier in the playoffs, I would rather take a chance on a guy who scores in those areas than a guy who doesn't. Perimeter scorers tend to disappear entirely come playoff time (with exceptions, of course... Kucherov).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad