Confirmed Trade: [TBL/CBJ/DET] D. Savard (75% retained), B. Lashoff to TBL; '21 1st, '22 3rd to CBJ; '21 4th to DET

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Nice return for CBJ. In essence they replaced their 2nd rounder they moved to Ottawa (I'm assuming the TB 1st is going to be very late in an unknown value driven draft) and the 3rd next year replaces their own 3rd they moved. Now if Foligno moves for another 1st or even a 2nd CBJ can work on some level of re-building talent in their pipeline ranks.

Savard will be missed. Playoff warrior, great guy and further stacks the deck for TBL but for an expiring asset that wasn't coming back, I love this move.

Reactions: Fro

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
While I've read Savard hasn't been lights-out the player he can be this year (haven't seen many of his games), he is one of the players I wanted the Leafs to get. Both teams benefit but Tampa solidified "strong Cup contender status" for me. They have a lot of good prospects so a 1st is something they can afford. He is a great playoff style defenseman.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Good for Savard.....from outhouse to outhouse to penthouse.
783a9daa-edbb-4848-92ca-534ed544a15e_text.gif

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Didn't expect the Jackets to get a first for Savard. Nice trade.

Win-win here.

Also I guess Detroit wanted that pick, so win-win-win.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Tampa is in a different place than a lot of other teams. Contender, not much cap space, and have a window to compete with. That's why they don't value their first round pick as much as other teams do right now and that's why they had to dish out a first for Savard. Then also pay extra to clear cap. Other teams wouldn't have to do that. However, that makes tampa a desirable team to do business with because we know they will dish out more to get what they want.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Tampa is in a different place than a lot of other teams. Contender, not much cap space, and have a window to compete with. That's why they don't value their first round pick as much as other teams do right now and that's why they had to dish out a first for Savard. Then also pay extra to clear cap. Other teams wouldn't have to do that. However, that makes tampa a desirable team to do business with because we know they will dish out more to get what they want.
Really helps when you can find a Brayden Point in the third round, a Nikita Kucherov in the second, a Ondrej Palat in the seventh, a Alex Killorn in the second, a Anthony Cirelli in the third, and a Sentinel, Ross Coltron in the fourth.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Really helps when you can find a Brayden Point in the third round, a Nikita Kucherov in the second, a Ondrej Palat in the seventh, a Alex Killorn in the second, a Anthony Cirelli in the third, and a Sentinel, Ross Coltron in the fourth.

Yes definitely. Their ability to find gems later in the draft is so underrated even though people know how good they are with that. Makes you comfortable to dish out these first round picks like candy like we have.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I think:

Tampa Bay Lightning is a bad job.
Detroit Red Wings - Not worth mentioning.
Columbus Blue Jackets is a good job.

TBL is a loss of the future.

Happened - David Savard:
2021 1st-Round Pick, 2022 3rd-Round Pick (@ 50% Ret)
2021 4th-Round Pick (@ 50% Ret)

It could have been - Patrik Nemeth:
2022 4th-Round Pick (@ 50% Ret)
2021 5th-Round Pick (@ 50% Ret)???

There are many other defenders.
The problems with the salary cap remained.

Possible summer exchanges with Seattle, Detroit have become complicated ...

For example:
Seattle - Killorn + Johnson + McDonagh + 2021 1st + ???
Detroit - Killorn + Johnson (Killorn + Palat) + 2021 1st + ???
Seattle - McDonagh + ???

There are many other options.
The 2021 1st-Round Pick could be part of the compensation.
Strange actions of Tampa.
Good thing your opinion doesn't matter and is wrong.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
That's a very low pick the Jackets got back. Practically a 2nd rounder. 32nd overall or something. And in a weak draft year.

They should have asked for the Wings first rounder.
Lolol this doesn't make any sense

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think:

Tampa Bay Lightning is a bad job.
Detroit Red Wings - Not worth mentioning.
Columbus Blue Jackets is a good job.

TBL is a loss of the future.

Happened - David Savard:
2021 1st-Round Pick, 2022 3rd-Round Pick (@ 50% Ret)
2021 4th-Round Pick (@ 50% Ret)

It could have been - Patrik Nemeth:
2022 4th-Round Pick (@ 50% Ret)
2021 5th-Round Pick (@ 50% Ret)???

There are many other defenders.
The problems with the salary cap remained.

Possible summer exchanges with Seattle, Detroit have become complicated ...

For example:
Seattle - Killorn + Johnson + McDonagh + 2021 1st + ???
Detroit - Killorn + Johnson (Killorn + Palat) + 2021 1st + ???
Seattle - McDonagh + ???

There are many other options.
The 2021 1st-Round Pick could be part of the compensation.
Strange actions of Tampa.

I say better to make that a future problem for the Kracken as they will still look to leverage the situation in their favor. They just won't get a first rounder from this year from Tampa. They don't just take the best player now that there isn't a first rounder, you still leverage the situation to do what you can to get the best outcome.

That will hurt tampa in another way than maybe draft picks but the question for tampa is do you mortgage your future for a shot at the cup when you know your shot is the highest. We don't know what the situation will be for tampa in a few years. We don't even know how good they will be next year as teams around them will certainly improve. Better to take your best shot while you have your best shot. No guarantee we will be this good again.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015

And a franchise D man and Goaltender in the 1st...

Oh, and Montreal having an idiot GM trading a 2D soon to be 1D capable defenseman for Drouin.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
And a franchise D man and Goaltender in the 1st...

Oh, and Montreal having an idiot GM trading a 2D soon to be 1D capable defenseman for Drouin.
Yeah, but that's why our window is open until Hedman declines. We draft well enough to replace complementary players from within. Even Stamkos. Losing Hedman or Vasy would close the window though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad