Taylor vs. Tyler (from 2010 draft) -- Has Hall or Seguin been better?

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Stamkos game completely falls off. He looks timid to go into traffic. He used to try to "overplay" the game to try to make up for it at times, but even that got washed out because he kept turning the puck over doing that. Stamkos is a fairly intense guy, he's driven. So, for him to turn into such a non-factor in so many opportunities, in so many different situations is really an eye opener.

I'm not saying that to defend Seguin - as I already trashed his playoff performances in this thread - but there's a good chunk of games where he was "traded over" in his youth - those runs with Boston were age 19 and 21 seasons. And sure, a HOF level player you'd like to think he steps up there...but he's been emphatic that he's not that. And historically, he's not really an intense guy and the consistency of his game sort of wavers.

Both these players see instances in their prime where their ice time is reduced going into the playoffs, even though games are - on average - longer in the postseason. I went through my notes briefly yesterday, I left a note for myself in game 7 of the Dal/Col Division Final in 2020...

My eyes don't deceive me... (referring to not having seen Benn or Seguin in this period)
Benn 3:02 in the 2nd period
Seguin 4:08.

Pavs played 6:17. Blake Comeau played 6:04.

##

That period was: 2-1 Avs to start, 2-2 early, 3-2 for the last 14+ minutes. They couldn't find a way to play Seguin over Blake Comeau in a winner take all where they're down a goal...

And you may recall, you may not...that's the Kiviranta game.

So again, saying Stamkos is the worst is because someone has to be the worst and vs. expectation and vs. purported player type...Stamkos delivers less more often than Seguin does.

For Stamkos, he gets opportunities because it's tough to slide him down the lineup because he's the captain and he's allegedly one of your best players...but you look at 2022 ,no question he's the third best player on his own line with Palat and Kucherov. Down 2-1 to the Rangers in the ECF. He has half a dozen chances in the 1st period that are setup for him that he just flubs...it's like he gets the yips.

Brayden Point was out, they tried to re-invigorate him and put him at center as they desperately needed a center...and it did nothing. Instead it was Cirelli and Nick Paul who really upped their games compared to the regular season, doing the right things at both ends of the ice, playing in the middle...they went crease to crease, goal line to goal line all playoff long in that absence of Pointer...

Reactions: jigglysquishy

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Stamkos game completely falls off. He looks timid to go into traffic. He used to try to "overplay" the game to try to make up for it at times, but even that got washed out because he kept turning the puck over doing that. Stamkos is a fairly intense guy, he's driven. So, for him to turn into such a non-factor in so many opportunities, in so many different situations is really an eye opener.

I'm not saying that to defend Seguin - as I already trashed his playoff performances in this thread - but there's a good chunk of games where he was "traded over" in his youth - those runs with Boston were age 19 and 21 seasons. And sure, a HOF level player you'd like to think he steps up there...but he's been emphatic that he's not that. And historically, he's not really an intense guy and the consistency of his game sort of wavers.

Both these players see instances in their prime where their ice time is reduced going into the playoffs, even though games are - on average - longer in the postseason. I went through my notes briefly yesterday, I left a note for myself in game 7 of the Dal/Col Division Final in 2020...

My eyes don't deceive me... (referring to not having seen Benn or Seguin in this period)
Benn 3:02 in the 2nd period
Seguin 4:08.

Pavs played 6:17. Blake Comeau played 6:04.

##

That period was: 2-1 Avs to start, 2-2 early, 3-2 for the last 14+ minutes. They couldn't find a way to play Seguin over Blake Comeau in a winner take all where they're down a goal...

And you may recall, you may not...that's the Kiviranta game.

So again, saying Stamkos is the worst is because someone has to be the worst and vs. expectation and vs. purported player type...Stamkos delivers less more often than Seguin does.

For Stamkos, he gets opportunities because it's tough to slide him down the lineup because he's the captain and he's allegedly one of your best players...but you look at 2022 ,no question he's the third best player on his own line with Palat and Kucherov. Down 2-1 to the Rangers in the ECF. He has half a dozen chances in the 1st period that are setup for him that he just flubs...it's like he gets the yips.

Brayden Point was out, they tried to re-invigorate him and put him at center as they desperately needed a center...and it did nothing. Instead it was Cirelli and Nick Paul who really upped their games compared to the regular season, doing the right things at both ends of the ice, playing in the middle...they went crease to crease, goal line to goal line all playoff long in that absence of Pointer...

Yeah, they're both useless in the playoffs.

Seguin is more frustrating for me as a Bruins fan. He showed the flash of brilliance as a rookie saving their bacon in Game 2 against Tampa with that electric 4 point 2nd period, then followed it up with zero contribution the next few years.

2013 is still the most egregious, if he was simply average they win that Cup. The Chicago series was so close that it would've taken very little from him to tip the scales (3 OT games, 5 of 6 games decided by 1 goal). A 1-4-5 in 23 games line is inexcusable

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad