Taylor vs. Tyler (from 2010 draft) -- Has Hall or Seguin been better?

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
What years do you define as them being "together" in that case?
They are still together no ? I think the sentence just after should make clearer what I meant:
When they stopped to be the main guys the Stars started to win more,

Which is maybe completely unfair, just a sign you have a very good team if even post their prime Seguin-Benn are not your main players.

A bit like Thornton-Marleau reaching the final once they were not the main guys anymore.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
They are still together no ? I think the sentence just after should make clearer what I meant:
When they stopped to be the main guys the Stars started to win more,
Wouldn't that have to do with other stuff going on (Heiskanen, Robertson, etc.) rather than a simple "cause and effect"?

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Wouldn't that have to do with other stuff going on (Heiskanen, Robertson, etc.) rather than a simple "cause and effect"?
Could be, thus the I am not sure what their complete lack of team success mean, I was not watching out of the playoff western conference teams much around their time.

Or like I said just a sign of how hard the league became, when a competent franchise spending to the max of the cap with 2 Top 10 scorer (on perfectly reasonable contract at the time) do not reach the playoff year after year like that.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Could be, thus the I am not sure what their complete lack of team success mean, I was not watching out of the playoff western conference teams much around their time.

Or like I said just a sign of how hard the league became, when a competent franchise spending to the max of the cap with 2 Top 10 scorer (on perfectly reasonable contract at the time) do not reach the playoff year after year like that.
They were a last place, but not a tank team (picked 10th) in 2012-13 before Seguin got there. Those things take time, but they got to the postseason the next season in large part due to Seguin's addition.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
They were a last place, but not a tank team (picked 10th) in 2012-13 before Seguin got there. Those things take time, but they got to the postseason the next season in large part due to Seguin's addition.
Stars when to the playoff only 2 time from 2014-2019 (when Seguin was in his prime), won a single round of playoff.

Does that complete lack of success say something about them or not, being my simple question. The answer can be no, that just how it goes in today NHL, it was not rhetorical.

Going from a .500 team to a .555 team look good

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
I prefer that Seguin has contributed to great teams more. It seems like all of Hall's best years are playing with weak supporting cast.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Stars when to the playoff only 2 time from 2014-2019 (when Seguin was in his prime), won a single round of playoff.
He was still on the team when they went to the Finals, so a bit odd to cut off the Benn/Seguin era in order to say they never had playoff success. Just isn't fair, imo.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Not 100% certain what the conversation is at this point...but Seguin was particularly ghost-like during that 2020 run. Stamkosian.
Wasn't that the year he played through a ton of injuries?

I mean, either way he's been pretty disappointing. 58 points in 114 games makes Stamkos look like a great playoff performer. The only "excuse" he has is he played 7 playoff games in what was his best 4 year stretch of hockey (2013-2017)

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Not 100% certain what the conversation is at this point...but Seguin was particularly ghost-like during that 2020 run. Stamkosian.
Stamkos did disappoint at certain times in his playoff past, but I think his status as a playoff no-show was partially cancelled by his '20 (well, one shift), '21, and '22 runs, which were fine: 20 goals and 38 points in 47 games isn't bad at all. He was third in team scoring both playoffs in '21 and '22 (if distantly, in the case of '21).

Overall, Stamkos is currently at 0.77 PPG in the playoffs vs. 1.04 PPG in the regular season. That's probably a bit bigger a dip than we'd ideally see from a top forward, but it's not unusual at all and not bad. (Just sayin'.)

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Stamkos did disappoint at certain times in his playoff past, but I think his status as a playoff no-show was partially cancelled by his '20 (well, one shift), '21, and '22 runs, which were fine: 20 goals and 38 points in 47 games isn't bad at all. He was third in team scoring both playoffs in '21 and '22 (if distantly, in the case of '21).
He is the worst playoff player of his generation. One shift in 2020 doesn't change that. This is old territory, but I'm not going to try to forgive him because of time decay. I saw every single shift of every single Steven Stamkos playoff game of his career...he's the worst playoff player of this generation. Someone would have to make a hell of a video package to try to convince me that he was a top 5 player on the Lightning in any of those runs.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
I imagine it does mean relative to his Hall of fame regular season career and playoff opportunities.

Not literally that no one drafted from 2002 to 2014 was worst at hockey in the playoff than Steven Stamkos, not saying that Daniel Winnik was better ?

Last edited:

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
I imagine it is mean relative to his Hall of fame regular season career and playoff opportunities.

Not literally that no one drafted from 2002 to 2014 was worst at hockey in the playoff than Steven Stamkos, not saying that Daniel Winnik was better ?
Yeah, I don't think anyone is legitimately concerned with Craig Adams and his playoff exploits. Relative to expectations, Stamkos is the worst for me. If Thornton is in his generation, maybe there's a conversation to he had...but they started playing like a dozen years a part...that's pushing it for a generation. If they are, gun to my head, I'll probably take the gun...but if I had to choose, probably Thornton. Though, I'd like to go back and refresh my memory on Stamkos' 2011 run just to he sure...

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
A couple of months before Joe Thornton was drafted an helmetless nhler played in the playoff, I am not sure how many minutes, it was yet to be an official nhl recorded stats by the league.

When he fought Eric Lindros before the lock-out he was already close to a 500 games veteran.

Does feel like a different generation of players.

Last edited:

Despote

Mar 21, 2023
How is this news? haha
I'd assume that you mean worst in comparison to his regular season performance, or worst out of the star players of his generation, and the posters confusion is related to the claim that Stamkos is the worst playoff player of his generation in general.

Like, worse than the worst 4th liner in the league...

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
I'd assume that you mean worst in comparison to his regular season performance, or worst out of the star players of his generation, and the posters confusion is related to the claim that Stamkos is the worst playoff player of his generation in general.

Like, worse than the worst 4th liner in the league...
Of course. Apologies if that doesn't go without saying on this board...

Reactions: jigglysquishy

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It's a separate question, but Jarome Iginla is the guy that to me got the most undeserved "Playoff Warrior" reputation. Only made it out of the first round once before becoming a shameless team hopping Cup chaser and then still didn't get it done there. People take of the '04 Postseason like it was an all time legendary one but it was just 22 points in 26 games, and somehow managed to ride that as a "player you win in the Playoffs with" reputation his entire career.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
'04 Postseason like it was an all time legendary one but it was just 22 points in 26 games,
The way he played would make it easy for people to have a good for the playoff bias (and those great Olympics not much before).

But 13 goals-22 pts, +13 playoff run in that era was quite good.

After Sakic in 1996 no one score more than 13 goals before the lock-out, after 1997 only Sakic and Iginla achieved to score 13.

22 pts was achieved quite a bit, 9 times from 2001 to 2004 but lot of those by people with better than Iginla playoff reputation (forsberg-sakic-Yzerman) or also well known for it Elias, Richards, St.Louis, +13 or more 5 times.

Koivu would be an other one that the number would not look impressive in some other eras, but 21 pts in 23 in deep dpe playoff game was really good.

Last edited:
Reactions: seventieslord

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
But 13 goals-22 pts, +13 playoff run in that era was quite good.
Yeah it was really good no doubt. But for that to really be the only playoff highlight of his career, I don’t think it’s a reputation carrying performance as it became.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Yeah it was really good no doubt. But for that to really be the only playoff highlight of his career, I don’t think it’s a reputation carrying performance as it became.
And they had good squad at the turn of the lock-out, they always lost to strong teams in those first rounds, Iginla scored at a really good playoff pace (14G-25pts in 26 games), but still always lost.

Gorskyontario

Feb 18, 2024
He is the worst playoff player of his generation.

Well this thread is concerning Seguin(58 points in 114 games I looked it up). I'm not going to pretend to have seen a ton of stars or lightning games in the last 10 years. So I'm not saying this to be confrontational I'm genuinely curious. How is Stamkos worse then Seguin as a playoff performer?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad