Player Discussion Taylor Hall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cronuss

Feb 19, 2007
NH
They need to find a way to lock Hall up. I love his game and he seems to be thriving here on this team, and I think he will be even better next year with a full building and proper season. Give him anywhere from $6-8 and lock him up long term, give him an 8 year contract.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I guess I should state that i'm hopeful that Krejci won't cost much more than 4 million for 3-4 more years. I'm not sure how much higher you go for a guy in his mid 30s.

Reactions: Afam

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
They need to find a way to lock Hall up. I love his game and he seems to be thriving here on this team, and I think he will be even better next year with a full building and proper season. Give him anywhere from $6-8 and lock him up long term, give him an 8 year contract.
Sigh.......

Reactions: Oates2Neely

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I’m as excited about Hall’s play as anybody, but other than for the proven superstars like Crosby, Ovechkin and our first line, how many 7+ year contracts don’t turn regrettable fairly quickly? A level while Hall really isn’t at based on history. Think Kevin Hayes, Jeff Skinner, Ryan Suter, Zach Parise etc. Multiple fans are throwing it around as if such offers/contracts don’t come with massive risk.

He has pretty clearly indicated that he doesn’t want to be the focus of attention and he just wants to play hockey and be “one of the guys”. Surely, he earns a nice payday based on his production and abilities, but I wouldn’t be offering him huge term.

Again, I don’t make an offer of any sort until after the playoff run is over. But as of right now, I’m thinking 3, max 4 years, at 6.5 million. Taylor gets to play on what should remain a contender with the current players and himself for at least a couple more years and doesn’t have to be “the guy” while collecting what is ultimately a very nice salary for almost any second line player. He earns only slightly less than Bergeron and Pastrnak and more per year than Marchand.

Last edited:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Hall is playing at a level where if the cost of resigning him is adding an extra year at the end where he may or may not be washed up, I think it's worth it for what he'll bring over the first 4-5 years of the deal.

We've never had a more impactful deadline acquisition, at least since Gonchar. Nash was already washed up then quickly got hurt. Guys like Mojo and Kelly/Peverly were good but not this good. Then there's hole-plugging castaway trash like Talbot, Stafford, Stempniak, etc. Hall was a gamble and has thus far paid off bigtime. He's a star player in this league and just needed a good environment to flourish in. Playoffs will be the big test though, as always.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I'm trying to enjoy it while I can because the pessimist in me thinks he's gonna price himself out of here and they won't be able to keep him and Krejci.

Reactions: Gordoff

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I'm trying to enjoy it while I can because the pessimist in me thinks he's gonna price himself out of here and they won't be able to keep him and Krejci.
He never played with a krecji before. He wants that action. That’s my opinion. Playing next to krecji for the next three years will be great for his career.

Reactions: Afam and KrejciMVP

member 96824

I’m as excited about Hall’s play as anybody, but other than for the proven superstars like Crosby, Ovechkin and our first line, how many 7+ year contracts don’t turn regrettable fairly quickly? A level while Hall really isn’t at based on history. Think Kevin Hayes, Jeff Skinner, Ryan Suter, Zach Parise etc. Multiple fans are throwing it around as if such offers/contracts don’t come with massive risk.

He has pretty clearly indicated that he doesn’t want to be the focus of attention and he just wants to play hockey and be “one of the guys”. Surely, he earns a nice payday based on his production and abilities, but I wouldn’t be offering him huge term.

Again, I don’t make an offer of any sort until after the playoff run is over. But as of right now, I’m thinking 3, max 4 years, at 6.5 million. Taylor gets to play on what should remain a contender with the current players and himself for at least a couple more years and doesn’t have to be “the guy” while collecting what is ultimately a very nice salary for almost any second line player. He earns only slightly less than Bergeron and Pastrnak and more per year than Marchand.

Said another way, you're willing to let Taylor Hall go over $1-1.5M and making sure the 2026 cap sheet stays clean?

Surprising. People remember what it was like to not have a second line......3 weeks ago...right?

member 96824

I think if you're not giving term, you're paying money. If you're not paying money, you're giving term.

Taylor Hall will be 30 later this year. Asking him to become a UFA at 33 is a mighty ask.

Taylor Hall also had what, 25 teams calling on him last year? Now that he's out of Buffalo and back to the old Taylor Hall, I don't think that list shrinks. Boston isn't the only place that offers a chance to win.

I know we like to celebrate putting the screws to players here and scoff at them for taking what they're worth but...how many 1st round picks, prospects, players, and wasted cap space did we spend over the last 5 years trying to find someone to play the role that Taylor Hall is playing right now? People have seen what Taylor Hall has done to make David Krejci and Craig Smith also better players right?

I don't follow the "put the screws to him good or tell him to go pound sand" mindset. What's that for? So we can have enough in the bank for the next John Moore?

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
He never played with a krecji before. He wants that action. That’s my opinion. Playing next to krecji for the next three years will be great for his career.
I want to believe it, but I also realize that it's a business and he's almost 30 and this is his last chance at a big long-term deal. He only got 1 year from Buffalo because apparently no other teams were willing to give him that money for long term. I suspect it's because at the time he had built this reputation as a talented loser who couldn't carry a team (and maybe there were questions about his knee). Now that he is plugging into a contending team like Boston and doing well I have to think that makes some teams more willing to commit to him.

My point is that as much as I think this is a good hockey situation for him, if some team wants to give him 5x8 and the Bruins are offering 5x6 then I have a hard time believing he takes that kind of discount to stay, even if he loves it here. I really want it to be true, but I'm a cynic at heart.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I think if you're not giving term, you're paying money. If you're not paying money, you're giving term.

Taylor Hall will be 30 later this year. Asking him to become a UFA at 33 is a mighty ask.

Taylor Hall also had what, 25 teams calling on him last year? Now that he's out of Buffalo and back to the old Taylor Hall, I don't think that list shrinks. Boston isn't the only place that offers a chance to win.

I know we like to celebrate putting the screws to players here and scoff at them for taking what they're worth but...how many 1st round picks, prospects, players, and wasted cap space did we spend over the last 5 years trying to find someone to play the role that Taylor Hall is playing right now? People have seen what Taylor Hall has done to make David Krejci and Craig Smith also better players right?

I don't follow the "put the screws to him good or tell him to go pound sand" mindset. What's that for? So we can have enough in the bank for the next John Moore?
the numbers people are throwing around here just seem so unrealistic.

I can't see him signing for anything less than 5x7 and even that seems so palatable to me that it's probably wishful thinking on my part.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I'm not usually a fan of "what could have been" things, but....

Imagine how different would things have been for both Hall and the Bruins if Hall landed with Boston back at the 2010 draft. Maybe Hall has a career more inline with what people thought because he was in a situation that he would thrive in. Maybe Boston still goes on to win the 2011 cup and a few more. Maybe we don't spend 5-6yr trying to get Krejci talented wingers to play with and think about what that would have done for his career numbers.

Reactions: Gordoff and Afam

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Said another way, you're willing to let Taylor Hall go over $1-1.5M and making sure the 2026 cap sheet stays clean?

Surprising. People remember what it was like to not have a second line......3 weeks ago...right?

No, I’m willing to weigh the risk that he doesn’t perform to his contract far sooner than 2026 which puts the team in a bind in terms of money. Obviously.

I want him here. And quite frankly, I can’t imagine a better first 10 or so games for him (or really any deadline acquisition) in a Bruins uniform. However, you are talking about extending the same type of term and/or money that has been given to the entirety of our first line (and DK) after years with the team and proving themselves. The fact is a team like the Devils saw all the Hall could bring offensively and still dealt him, for whatever reason. Now as I’ve repeated numerous times in this thread and others - he has acknowledged he doesn’t want to be “the guy” and I would think/hope that possibly means he is willing to forgo his possible top price in favor of staying with a team where he enjoys playing the game and is a good fit without having to carry the entire load.

If he tears it up in the playoffs, is there really ANY contract I am going to be upset about him getting this summer? Unlikely. But when you’re talking about multi year contracts with big term in a hard cap league, anyone in management has to consider both short term and long term implications.

You’re really oversimplifying the entire argument by asking questions like “has everyone forgotten what’s it’s like to not have a second line?” and forcing some rationale where any risk wouldn’t be realized until 2026. We all like what he’s doing and how much he is changing this lineup right now, but let’s not be silly and pretend like 10 really good games throws the ball totally onto Hall’s side of the court. Especially considering the fact that he was outwardly saying he’d like to be a Bruin for “a few years” before he even stepped onto Garden ice.

Also, what’s the thing about 25 teams calling on him last year? I don’t know how relevant that is but I’m curious to read whatever piece that is.

Last edited:

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I want to believe it, but I also realize that it's a business and he's almost 30 and this is his last chance at a big long-term deal. He only got 1 year from Buffalo because apparently no other teams were willing to give him that money for long term. I suspect it's because at the time he had built this reputation as a talented loser who couldn't carry a team (and maybe there were questions about his knee). Now that he is plugging into a contending team like Boston and doing well I have to think that makes some teams more willing to commit to him.

My point is that as much as I think this is a good hockey situation for him, if some team wants to give him 5x8 and the Bruins are offering 5x6 then I have a hard time believing he takes that kind of discount to stay, even if he loves it here. I really want it to be true, but I'm a cynic at heart.

Id agree with this point. If he comes back to the Bruins and says he’s got an offer for 8 million, you’ve got to look at coming up. But you’re drawing up hypotheticals that are only meant to box skeptics into a corner about how much they value a player who has many more games to play in a Bruins uniform before a decision needs to be made.

As I said before, people have been asking about “Hall’s next contract” since his second or third game with the team and there are still plenty of variables at play.

member 96824

No, I’m willing to weigh the risk that he doesn’t perform to his contract far sooner than 2026 which puts the team in a bind in terms of money. Obviously.

I want him here. And quite frankly, I can’t imagine a better first 10 or so games for him (or really any deadline acquisition) in a Bruins uniform. However, you are talking about extending the same type of term and/or money that has been given to the entirety of our first line (and DK) after years with the team and proving themselves. The fact is a team like the Devils saw all the Hall could bring offensively and still dealt him, for whatever reason. Now as I’ve repeated numerous times in this thread and others - he has acknowledged he doesn’t want to be “the guy” and I would think/hope that possibly means he is willing to forgo his possible top price in favor of staying with a team where he enjoys playing the game and is a good fit without having to carry the entire load.

If he tears it up in the playoffs, is there really ANY contract I am going to be upset about him getting this summer? Unlikely. But when you’re talking about multi year contracts with big term in a hard cap league, anyone in management has to consider both short term and long term implications.

You’re really oversimplifying the entire argument by asking questions like “has everyone forgotten what’s it’s like to have a second line?” and forcing some rationale where any risk wouldn’t be realized until 2026. We all like what he’s doing and how much he is changing this lineup right now, but let’s not be silly and pretend like 10 really good games throws the ball totally onto Hall’s side of the court.

"10 good games" is really oversimplifying a guy who has 593 points in 677 career games and a Hart trophy to his name too though, no? If Buffalo Taylor Hall was the norm and all of a sudden we were getting this out of no where, sure, I'd definitely 100% agree with you. But Buffalo Taylor Hall is the clear outlier here.

By in large, if you're concerned about health yes definitely. But when he's on the ice, this guy is the same guy Taylor Hall's been for the majority of his career. Team will have to make a decision on how important those end years are...but I dunno...I don't see another Bergeron, Marchand, Krejci combo in the org right now so I'm really not all that worried about the cap sheet later on.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

So is 7 years/$6.5M per your offer then?

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
"10 good games" is really oversimplifying a guy who has 593 points in 677 career games and a Hart trophy to his name too though, no? If Buffalo Taylor Hall was the norm and all of a sudden we were getting this out of no where, sure, I'd definitely 100% agree with you. But Buffalo Taylor Hall is the clear outlier here.

By in large, if you're concerned about health yes definitely. But when he's on the ice, this guy is the same guy Taylor Hall's been for the majority of his career. Team will have to make a decision on how important those end years are...but I dunno...I don't see another Bergeron, Marchand, Krejci combo in the org right now so I'm really not all that worried about the cap sheet later on.

Yeah, but that’s why you and I are fans and not a manager. You can’t “see” circumstances years out but you can consider the inherent risk that can certainly can arise with unseen variables.

Trust me. I get you on Hall being an extremely talented, productive player. If you ever doubt my excitement for him on this roster, you can go check out one of my many, many posts in the Taylor Hall thread on our board.

Reactions: BrainOfJ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad