Taylor Hall

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Gilbert, Gagner, Stoll, Greene, Brodziak.

Players with some resolute character manage to survive. But we have a habit of getting rid of those characters.

Gagner, the 6th overall pick who's on pace for 40 points this year? :laugh: Look at Voracek if you want to see good development.

Stoll was developed well but that was over 10 years ago.

Greene is nothing special, probably cost the Oilers a Cup with a stupid, stupid play and I routintely hear Kings fans crapping all over him. He just looks OK because he plays on a very good team. He'd be a -50 player on this team.

EDIT: Turns out it was MAB that was the offending player in injurying Roloson. Guess I blocked that out of my mind, they're both low I.Q. d-men though.

Brodziak ... meh. Seems to have been shopped constantly the last two years.

Since this "rebuild" started basically with the Pronger trade almost 9 years ago, they have not developed one young player properly.

Not one. They are the worst development franchise in all of pro sports IMO. Seriously. Name me one worse, even NBA teams that win 10 games all year long still over that time have developed some good young players.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Gagner, the 6th overall pick who's on pace for 40 points this year? :laugh: Look at Voracek if you want to see good development.

Stoll was developed well but that was over 10 years ago.

Greene is nothing special, probably cost the Oilers a Cup with a stupid, stupid play and I routintely hear Kings fans crapping all over him. He just looks OK because he plays on a very good team. He'd be a -50 player on this team.

EDIT: Turns out it was MAB that was the offending player in injurying Roloson. Guess I blocked that out of my mind, they're both low I.Q. d-men though.

Brodziak ... meh. Seems to have been shopped constantly the last two years.

Since this "rebuild" started basically with the Pronger trade almost 9 years ago, they have not developed one young player properly.

Not one. They are the worst development franchise in all of pro sports IMO. Seriously. Name me one worse, even NBA teams that win 10 games all year long still over that time have developed some good young players.

WE were talking about players that had the stomach to put up with this org for years and that survived. Gagner has had 8 seasons of this to crack his fortitude. it finally happened last year. Gagner had also played with a lot of sadder sack lineups than this one. Hall has been able to play with a series of offensive potential stars. If he's cracked this quick a lot of that is on him. Hall also painted himself in a corner stubbornly refusing to develop his game or potential. Last year I thought he was making some moves onto that track. He's completely given up this year. That you have to point out specific shifts where it even looks like he's bringing it is an indictment on his play.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Yeah, conpletely ridiculous.

He deserves a medal for not quitting on this mess a year ago.

Except that he has quit. Entirely. Are you watching the games? The wife was wondering if Hall was even playing last night he was so invisible.

His selective play and not wanting to learn how to be a better player is a lot of the reason why this team never did go anywhere.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
WE were talking about players that had the stomach to put up with this org for years and that survived. Gagner has had 8 seasons of this to crack his fortitude. it finally happened last year. Gagner had also played with a lot of sadder sack lineups than this one. Hall has been able to play with a series of offensive potential stars. If he's cracked this quick a lot of that is on him. Hall also painted himself in a corner stubbornly refusing to develop his game or potential. Last year I thought he was making some moves onto that track. He's completely given up this year. That you have to point out specific shifts where it even looks like he's bringing it is an indictment on his play.

Oilers can't develop ****.

Gagner's development was going sideways by his 2nd/3rd seasons. It's the Oilers style to let the kid have 1 good season and then the suck moves in and infects them like a disease. By year 3-5 here (if the kid even lasts that long) they are virtually unrecognizable. Broken.

What a joke of a franchise. They will ruin Eichel probably if they get him. It would be a challenge for the Oilers, but I'm picking the Oilers to win, they can break Eichel. NHL won't let this gong show of a franchise have McDavid.

The Oilers are the Ebola of player development.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
Except that he has quit. Entirely. Are you watching the games? The wife was wondering if Hall was even playing last night he was so invisible.

His selective play and not wanting to learn how to be a better player is a lot of the reason why this team never did go anywhere.

Are you reading posts? Where did I say he hasn't quit? I said I don't blame him for quitting and I don't blame him for this team being a disaster either.

Yes, its definitely on him for not developing his defensive game more. I mean, playing for five coaches in five years with zero veteran support is such a proven recipe for developing Selke winners.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Are you reading posts? Where did I say he hasn't quit? I said I don't blame him for quitting and I don't blame him for this team being a disaster either.

Yes, its definitely on him for not developing his defensive game more. I mean, playing for five coaches in five years with zero veteran support is such a proven recipe for developing Selke winners.

How else would I read this comment:

"He deserves a medal for not quitting on this mess a year ago."

I responded to your inference with "he has quit"

Are we really going to argue about this.:laugh:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Oilers can't develop ****.

Gagner's development was going sideways by his 2nd/3rd seasons. It's the Oilers style to let the kid have 1 good season and then the suck moves in and infects them like a disease. By year 3-5 here (if the kid even lasts that long) they are virtually unrecognizable. Broken.

What a joke of a franchise. They will ruin Eichel probably if they get him. It would be a challenge for the Oilers, but I'm picking the Oilers to win, they can break Eichel. NHL won't let this gong show of a franchise have McDavid.

The Oilers are the Ebola of player development.

Gagner was one of the best players on this club as little as 2 seasons ago. 17th among NHL Centers in total pts. lets not rewrite history in your narrative.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Gagner was one of the best players on this club as little as 2 seasons ago. lets not rewrite history in your narrative.

What's his career high in points? They ultimately had to trade him for basically nothing because they ruined his development. Tampa Bay would not take him for free. He's had one good season since his rookie campaign which was a lockout shortened year where he was a huge defensive liability.

Hall has had good years here too.

Doesn't matter. Oilers will break anyone.

There is no narrative here. The Oilers haven't developed anyone properly here in 10 years time. That's a fact.

They are the worst developmental franchise in the NHL, probably in all of pro sports in the last 10 years. That's a fact.

If you want to dispute that, go right ahead, lol. I'd actually be curious to hear what the argument is.

Three 1st overall picks, three more top 10 picks, several more 1st overalls, several 2nd/3rd/4th round picks, offer sheeting the likes of Penner, etc. etc. Still not one star player to show for it, lol. Sam Gagner is your example of "proper development", lmao.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
What's his career high in points? They ultimately had to trade him for basically nothing because they ruined his development. Tampa Bay would not take him for free.

Hall has had good years here too.

Doesn't matter. Oilers will break anyone.

There is no narrative here. The Oilers haven't developed anyone properly here in 10 years time. That's a fact.

They are the worst developmental franchise in the NHL, probably in all of pro sports in the last 10 years. That's a fact.

If you want to dispute that, go right ahead, lol. I'd actually be curious to hear what the argument is.

Three 1st overall picks, three more top 10 picks, several more 1st overalls, several 2nd/3rd/4th round picks, offer sheeting the likes of Penner, etc. etc. Still not one star player to show for it, lol. Sam Gagner is your example of "proper development", lmao.

Sure it is. But in the case of one player its "No talented scrub that is Sammy snowpants and falls down a lot and he's hopeless"

In the case of another player the adopted narrative is Oilers ruined him.

Hall came into this league as a very one dimensional play that didn't care a lot about D or becoming a complete player. That much is on him for being a half court player. We seem to have drafted a few of those race horses.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Sure it is. But in the case of one player its "No talented scrub that is Sammy snowpants and falls down a lot and he's hopeless"

Hall came into this league as a very one dimensional play that didn't care a lot about D or becoming a complete player. That much is on him for being a half court player. We seem to have drafted a few of those race horses.

Was Gaudreau a defensive powerhouse at BU?

Development doesn't magically happen on its own like the Oilers seem to think.

You think it's just all bad coincidence and poor luck that the Oilers haven't been able to develop a star player here given several top 10 picks (three no.1s in particular in a row?) without their development going horribly sideways after a few years?

Poor Oilers. They selected the "wrong" player. Like 15 times apparently.

Hall getting drafted by the Oilers instead of the Bruins was probably one of the worst days of his life in retrospect, lol. Cost him 1-2 Cups and a much better career easily.

fs7j0.jpg

Last edited:

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010

I'd live to see you back this statement up. To the extent that that's true for Hall, its also true for any talented young junior player... Including Seguin who developed pretty well.

Your Hall bashing is more unrealistic and ridiculous than the Gagner hating that you detest so much.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'd live to see you back this statement up. To the extent that that's true for Hall, its also true for any talented young junior player... Including Seguin who developed pretty well.

Your Hall bashing is more unrealistic and ridiculous than the Gagner hating that you detest so much.

Oh, did Toew come into the league with one way focus? Did Kopitar?

I'll grant that it could be that more and more unidimensional play is occurring and is drafted but it wasn't always like this.

Maybe hockey at lesser levels is becoming less and less of a team game. It used to be a requirement to have team commitment in Junior Hockey.

ps I'm not a Hall basher. But for sure i'm critiquing his present level of commitment. Anybody should. He packed it in well before Xmas. That's beneath him.

AS such the degree to how ugly this gets is on him as an unofficial leader within this team and dressingroom. Hall has completely given up. What kind of message does that send? A fatal one.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Oilers ruin every young player they get. They have not developed even one properly in their almost 10 year "rebuild".

Hall - Development gone sideways
Eberle - Development gone sideways
RNH - 1st overall with a 55 point roof making $6 million dollars, will be broken, Oilers just need time.
Yakupov - Ruined. Bust.
Paajarvi - Ruined in his time here.
Nilsson - Ruined
Schultz - Ruined
Gagner - Ruined here over time.
Gilbert - Ruined
Omark - Ruined
Grebs - lol
Dubnyk - Ruined here, maybe can salvage himself in Phoenix.
Cogliano - Almost ruined, salvaged himself by getting out to Anaheim early enough.
Draisaitl - Well on his way to being ruined.
Marincin - Well on his way to being ruined.
Klefbom - Well on his way to being ruined.
Lander - Ruined.
Pitlick - Ruined.
Lupul - Terrible here, got out quickly has been OK elsewhere.
Smid - Ruined, given away as a cap dump.

Riley Nash - Refused to play for Oilers, is developed into servicable player for Carolina.
Tobias Reider - Asked for trade from Oilers, is developing well in Phoenix

Can they break McDavid or Eichel too? I would have said no, but now I'm seriously thinking they can.

They are the Michael Jordan of ruining young players.

RNH is at least putting in the work to try and improve. He'd do well with wingers that actually go to the net and retrieve pucks and allow him to use his skill. Management needs to be purged but it sure looks like so does at least some of the core.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Luckiest SOBs in the hockey world:

fsfdw.jpg

fs81c.jpg

Hall is done here I think, he needs to go somewhere else where his career can get back on track. Ditto for Eberle. RNH will be next to break/stagnate. Draisaitl ... lol, poor kid never had a chance.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
Luckiest SOBs in the hockey world:

fsfdw.jpg

fs81c.jpg

Hall is done here I think, he needs to go somewhere else where his career can get back on track. Ditto for Eberle. RNH will be next to break/stagnate. Draisaitl ... lol, poor kid never had a chance.

This isn't helping! Hall is the best player this team has by far and hopefully if ever this management team gets their head out of their *** he will be the type of player we wished we had. How are the Oilers better without him? Who would you move him for that would make a difference with this group? Come on, it's bad but we can't start eating our own young!

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This isn't helping! Hall is the best player this team has by far and hopefully if ever this management team gets their head out of their *** he will be the type of player we wished we had. How are the Oilers better without him? Who would you move him for that would make a difference with this group? Come on, it's bad but we can't start eating our own young!

"Can't start?", we've been doing it since the summer of 2006.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
What you describe is actually playing a poor all round game. A player giving up turnovers is bad defensively. When you carve this onion it does sting the eyes.

No there is some grey area where you can break things down into more than just one category. What's it like living in a world where things are only black or white?

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
"Can't start?", we've been doing it since the summer of 2006.

And I have been here. Some of the kids won't turn out, I get that. Trading away everything young and having a bad season would be completely foolish. Hell the only thing we have going for us is all of our brain trust has not traded away the kids.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
The Oilers will be a much better team once Hall is traded .
Oh if I only had a dollar for every time that nugget of wisdom has been posted on this site. Horcoff, Dubnyk, Gagner, NSchultz, Gilbert etc etc.
The problem with this team is that they are a collection of talented but lazy individuals.
No team in this team.

The problem is Hall cries if all the offense does not go thru him .
No evidence whatsoever to support this claim. Its as bad as jts constantly posting that the "BFFs" get into a hissy fit if they don't get to play together.

Yakupov hits , back checks better and would out up better numbers if he was playing with a center like RNH
Yakupov? Really? This is your answer to trading Hall? We'll just slide Yak into his slot and not lose a beat? Sorry, but Yakupov is the biggest individual on the team. He seemingly has no idea of when to pass and when not to. This is a guy who probably needs some help doing up his skates at this point. I like the kid but he is struggling mightily.

Trading Hall is a bad idea.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm honestly surprised he has not asked for a trade out yet.

Yakupov already did :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad