Taylor Hall

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
I don't watch the Oilers as much as you guys do (obviously), but whenever I see Hall I'm impressed by how well he plays in the offensive end and think he's a really good player. On the other hand, and this is really my question to you guys, am I correct in my assessment that he absolutely blows on defense?

Board Gordon

Light Up The World
Jun 13, 2014
I don't watch the Oilers as much as you guys do (obviously), but whenever I see Hall I'm impressed by how well he plays in the offensive end and think he's a really good player. On the other hand, and this is really my question to you guys, am I correct in my assessment that he absolutely blows on defense?

I would say below average rather than absolutely blows.

Mowgli

Nov 14, 2014

Impossible to assess as he does not skate back to play any defense

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
i know this is a bit off topic, but just wondering what people on these boards think about hall's maturity level.

I think he's been improving a bit more in that regard both on and off the ice. It seems like even last season he would mope a lot on the ice, complain, and be a poor post-game interview. The past few interviews I've seen of his, he's seem to have been relatively mature, complimenting the opposing players rather than complaining, and saying relatively mature, respectable things. I don't know if it is just me, but maybe he's trying to actually learn how to become more of a leader somehow in all of this mess of a season?

Aceonfire*

Hall this year

I didn't want this on the main board for obvious reasons but did he seriously walk away from a scrum that had Nuge and Eberle in it?

Has Hall finally mailed in it with this team?

Ever since the Chicago game he hasn't been the same. Some will say he is playing injured but he honestly looks so disinterested.

Have the Oilers crushed his competitive spirit?..

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I saw this tweet on the Oilers site "Everyone battled, we made a lot of plays and had the puck for a good portion of the night." @hallsy04

I am seriously wondering about Hall's alleged leadership abilities.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He had a beastly shift after the Schultz/RNH goal where he looked like he was 2x faster than anyone else on the ice, so at least his knee seems to be healing. I think mentally though, the losing has done a number on him.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I saw this tweet on the Oilers site "Everyone battled, we made a lot of plays and had the puck for a good portion of the night." @hallsy04

I am seriously wondering about Hall's alleged leadership abilities.

This is the same guy that said the Christmas break would be good for the team. Comes out playing like ********* once again.

Not injured either. He was fine in the last game.

Just disinterested and completely OK with losing.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Oilers organization has crushed his spirit. Can't put young kids through this much losing and expect positive results.

I really am starting to think they could ruin McDavid/Eichel and Hanifin/Strome have no chance whatsoever, lol. The Oilers are becoming the masters of ruining players. They are already well on their way with ruining Draisaitl.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He had a beastly shift after the Schultz/RNH goal where he looked like he was 2x faster than anyone else on the ice, so at least his knee seems to be healing. I think mentally though, the losing has done a number on him.

The whole team's psyche is so fragile that it's basically hanging by a thread at all times. If he's healthy then he really should be ashamed of his performance.

This is the same guy that said the Christmas break would be good for the team. Comes out playing like ********* once again.

Not injured either. He was fine in the last game.

Just disinterested and completely OK with losing.

I'm sure that I'm going to come off as a RNH homer but IMO he's the only one of our "core" that made the most of taking the WC's off. For the most part the other 3 guys haven't added more strength, size, speed, etc. IMO the only thing that will help us is dipping into this core and dealing one of Eberle or Hall to hopefully wake up the remaining members. We may even need to deal both of them if they don't turn things around if we ever get new management in place.

The Oilers organization has crushed his spirit. Can't put young kids through this much losing and expect positive results.

I really am starting to think they could ruin McDavid/Eichel and Hanifin/Strome have no chance whatsoever, lol. The Oilers are becoming the masters of ruining players.

The only thing that the centers have in their favors is that RNH could take a load off of them. That said if they play with guys that don't give a **** on their wings or who have no confidence then who really knows? This team needs a major retool and that likely means buyouts and more massive personnel change.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Taylor Hall is getting paid over $80,000 per game. So is Eberle. Guaranteed money. Think about that and their effort level next time you shell out $1 for this franchise. We are not taking our annual Edmonton shopping trip this year thanks to this horrible play, and frankly a large part due to Hall's brutal attitude. How was taking the Christmas break and getting away from the game Taylor? Looks like you got away from the game a long time ago. We'll go to Calgary instead, spend our cash there and catch a game or two.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The whole team's psyche is so fragile that it's basically hanging by a thread at all times. If he's healthy then he really should be ashamed of his performance.

I'm sure that I'm going to come off as a RNH homer but IMO he's the only one of our "core" that made the most of taking the WC's off. For the most part the other 3 guys haven't added more strength, size, speed, etc. IMO the only thing that will help us is dipping into this core and dealing one of Eberle or Hall to hopefully wake up the remaining members. We may even need to deal both of them if they don't turn things around if we ever get new management in place.

The only thing that the centers have in their favors is that RNH could take a load off of them. That said if they play with guys that don't give a **** on their wings or who have no confidence then who really knows? This team needs a major retool and that likely means buyouts and more massive personnel change.

I agree that Nuge spent the offseason well and is a stronger player. People know my feelings about Eberle. tbh I feel as if he is the attitudinal problem and the one guy not really wanting to play a more balanced game and take it to another level. I really question his concept of commitment to team here. He's a one zone floater. His game has actually regressed. He's a far worse player than when he broke into the league. Eberle, formerly a ppg capable player is 124th in league scoring and -14 while doing it. One of the worst forwards on this club as far as any commitment to team.

Last edited:

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005

nah Hall isn't that bad defensively, a lot of the Oilers are really under rated for their defensive game, the problem for them as it has been for a long time is the turnovers that happen at the worst times which seem to always wind up in the back of the net. In terms of how to play defense most of the forwards are passable, it's the turnovers that catch people out of position and get scored on, then you see the team collapse because they're mentally too fragile to shake it off.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Hall is not the issue imo, but hes not the solution either being an offense first winger.

Hall+Marincin to NSH for Jones+Saros

Hall to BOS for Hamilton+Subban

then you move Eberle+Draisaitl+Schultz+2016 1st+2016 2nd for

" " to FLR for Ekblad+Huberdeau

" " to WPG for Trouba+Kane

build around Nuge and McEichel down the middle with yakupov and 1 of Kane or Huberdeau on the wing and a top four of Nurse, Klefbom and 2 of Ekblad, Jones, Hamilton and Trouba on the right side with Saros or Subban in net.

Look at Calgary, all their offense comes from the back end and they are vastly out performing expectations. Every team ever to have a top pair of 2 bonafide super star defenseman have dominated, imagine starting with 3+klefbom, a mobile, talented and young top 4 all over 6'2 with that much skill up front...

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
nah Hall isn't that bad defensively, a lot of the Oilers are really under rated for their defensive game, the problem for them as it has been for a long time is the turnovers that happen at the worst times which seem to always wind up in the back of the net. In terms of how to play defense most of the forwards are passable, it's the turnovers that catch people out of position and get scored on, then you see the team collapse because they're mentally too fragile to shake it off.

What you describe is actually playing a poor all round game. A player giving up turnovers is bad defensively. When you carve this onion it does sting the eyes.

Hall is virtually the same wind up dummy that flies down the ice hari kari giving up the puck much of the time trying to score a end to end goal as he was when he broke into the league. Last year at least there was some progress. This year its almost impossible to watch.

hall needs to see some games from the bleachers. Not just as a message but to figure out what he can do differently from watching the games. Having said that he'd probably be up there eating popcorn..

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
The Oilers will be a much better team once Hall is traded . The problem is Hall cries if all the offense does not go thru him . Yakupov hits , back checks better and would out up better numbers if he was playing with a center like RNH

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Oilers ruin every young player they get. They have not developed even one properly in their almost 10 year "rebuild".

Hall - Development gone sideways
Eberle - Development gone sideways
RNH - 1st overall with a 55 point roof making $6 million dollars, will be broken, Oilers just need time.
Yakupov - Ruined. Bust.
Paajarvi - Ruined in his time here.
Nilsson - Ruined
Schultz - Ruined
Gagner - Ruined here over time.
Gilbert - Ruined
Omark - Ruined
Grebs - lol
Dubnyk - Ruined here, maybe can salvage himself in Phoenix.
Cogliano - Almost ruined, salvaged himself by getting out to Anaheim early enough.
Draisaitl - Well on his way to being ruined.
Marincin - Well on his way to being ruined.
Klefbom - Well on his way to being ruined.
Lander - Ruined.
Pitlick - Ruined.
Lupul - Terrible here, got out quickly has been OK elsewhere.
Smid - Ruined, given away as a cap dump.

Riley Nash - Refused to play for Oilers, is developed into servicable player for Carolina.
Tobias Reider - Asked for trade from Oilers, is developing well in Phoenix

Can they break McDavid or Eichel too? I would have said no, but now I'm seriously thinking they can.

They are the Michael Jordan of ruining young players.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Writing is on the wall for Hall. Both media and fans now purging him as the scapegoat. Awesome. Keep it up people.

Hall is doing this to himself. A number 1 draft pick who finds himself #124 in scoring race while being an uninspired one dimensional player who chronically turns the puck over while actually cheating for offense and struggling to even produce.

This nature of performance is usually tied with move player out. Not advocating it, just saying that's the nature of pro sports. If you're going to devolve into a loser on an original drafting club you get moved.

If Hall doesn't snap out of this funk that will be his fate.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Hall is doing this to himself. A number 1 draft pick who finds himself #124 in scoring race while being an uninspired one dimensional player who chronically turns the puck over while actually cheating for offense and struggling to even produce.

This nature of performance is usually tied with move player out. Not advocating it, just saying that's the nature of pro sports. If you're going to devolve into a loser on an original drafting club you get moved.

If Hall doesn't snap out of this funk that will be his fate.

If he's lucky he can get traded to Boston or Pittsburgh sometime soon and maybe have a shot at a decent career.

Though any young player with the Oilers for more than 4 years is pretty much a lock to be ruined.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
If he's lucky he can get traded to Boston or Pittsburgh sometime soon and maybe have a shot at a decent career.

Though any young player with the Oilers for more than 4 years is pretty much a lock to be ruined.

Gilbert, Gagner, Stoll, Greene, Brodziak.

Players with some resolute character manage to survive. But we have a habit of getting rid of those characters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad