Taylor Hall

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
In sports as in all things a positive spark makes a difference! If we had a real Goalie who actually held them in some games would that make a difference? Sure their spirits broken, but one spark of lite and things will swing around. This myth of a negative loosing environment ruining everything and everyone is way overplayed here. Many expansion teams have lost for years and then become a force in the league. This team is completely mismanaged from scouting through development. When will it change, heck if I know? trading our young players with talent for magic beans won't help.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
I'm honestly surprised he has not asked for a trade out yet.

Yakupov already did :laugh:

Yakupov being a RFA after this year will bail land go back to Russia. Ruble problems or not. Either that or he stays for a massive overpay. What do you do as the GM? what do you do if youre him? Stay and have you career ruined completely?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think Yakupov will be traded for a similarly under-performing high pick d-man, like Larsson or maybe a Gudbranson.

Either at the deadline or at the draft. But that's kinda off topic.

MrM

Oct 13, 2013
I think Metallica said it best - "This fight he cannot win. A tired man they see no longer cares"

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant
I'm grumpy today so I'll put this out there:

I sincerely hope Taylor Hall has quietly asked for a trade off this joke of a franchise. Here's why:

a) Katz deserves it. He treats this storied organization like a plaything and shares it with his best buds and they have broken it. Hall is a person and a player with a limited career window and he deserves to be playing/competing for a championship not rotting away on this rusty ferris wheel.

b) Lowe and MacT deserve it. They are unqualified and ineffective in their positions. They are former players, not businessmen. Hockey is a business. A business of building and winning. They suck at both. They deserve the negative press/rage that will come from Hall wanting off this team.

c) Hall deserves it. He has busted his ass and given this organization enough time to get better and it has gotten worse. He deserves to be playing on a contender. Time to move on.

d) The sheepish fans deserve it. The ones who renew their Season Tickets and fill the arena without caring what kind of product is put in front of them year after year. Blind loyalty. Most won't even notice he is gone.

/rant

MrM

Oct 13, 2013

I sincerely hope Taylor Hall has quietly asked for a trade off this joke of a franchise. Here's why:

a) Katz deserves it. He treats this storied organization like a plaything and shares it with his best buds and they have broken it. Hall is a person and a player with a limited career window and he deserves to be playing/competing for a championship not rotting away on this rusty ferris wheel.

b) Lowe and MacT deserve it. They are unqualified and ineffective in their positions. They are former players, not businessmen. Hockey is a business. A business of building and winning. They suck at both. They deserve the negative press/rage that will come from Hall wanting off this team.

c) Hall deserves it. He has busted his ass and given this organization enough time to get better and it has gotten worse. He deserves to be playing on a contender. Time to move on.

d) The sheepish fans deserve it. The ones who renew their Season Tickets and fill the arena without caring what kind of product is put in front of them year after year. Blind loyalty. Most won't even notice he is gone.

/rant

I agree with this except for one caveat...he will be demonized by Edmonton when he leaves. Time and time again we see the public opinion change on a player. I think it mainly stems from the organization's bitterness but it stems to their branch of the media which informs the fans. Before long everyone will have a negative impression of Taylor Hall.

Remember when Souray would be our next captain? Everyone's love for Smid? MacT trading for Perron was evidence that he was good at making moves?

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton

/rant

Oh **** off with this. The reason these fans renew their tickets is because when the team is good, it's impossible to get tickets. Don't blame the fans for the team's incompetence. I bet you'd be thrilled when all these fans drop their season tickets, the team gets good, and you're waiting there to snap those tickets up.

Say you own season tickets, you hate MacT and KLowe, so you don't renew. Oh, but the next day the Oilers hire Scotty Bowman and Mike Babcock to run the team. Oops, you're not getting those tickets back.

Not to mention the fact that the building isn't even close to full every night. So while the team isn't suffering in ticket sales, they definitely are in food, beer, and merchandise.

I'm not someone who is interested in buying season tickets in the first place, but if someone has the income to spend on them, let them.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Oh **** off with this. The reason these fans renew their tickets is because when the NEW ARENA OPENS, it's impossible to get tickets. Don't blame the fans for the team's incompetence. I bet you'd be thrilled when all these fans drop their season tickets, the team gets good, and you're waiting there to snap those tickets up.

Say you own season tickets, you hate MacT and KLowe, so you don't renew. Oh, but the next day the Oilers hire Scotty Bowman and Mike Babcock to run the team. Oops, you're not getting those tickets back.

Not to mention the fact that the building isn't even close to full every night. So while the team isn't suffering in ticket sales, they definitely are in food, beer, and merchandise.

I'm not someone who is interested in buying season tickets in the first place, but if someone has the income to spend on them, let them.

edited above to reflect actual reality and probability.

Plus whats all this "when the team gets good" stuff? ;)

What does that look like?

It is a joke that the main reason people are holding onto STH is so they still have them in the new arena. STH in a lot of instances not even bothering showing up for games at Rexall anymore. I would say about 30% strict resales, 10-20% no shows. 10-20% giveaways to friends and family.

Used to be STH would know who is sitting in their row, section, etc. Like social time out. Not the case now.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

I think there is a plausible explanation about why it's time to go.

e) Failure in the Oilers management for expecting Hall to be a leader/signing Ference and making him captain.

Hall will make a great first line LW somewhere as long as there are strong vets the dressing room show Hall why great players are leaders. Management failed in not giving Hall that mentorship.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

/rant

I somewhat agree with u, especially B.

Oh **** off with this. The reason these fans renew their tickets is because when the team is good, it's impossible to get tickets. Don't blame the fans for the team's incompetence. I bet you'd be thrilled when all these fans drop their season tickets, the team gets good, and you're waiting there to snap those tickets up.

This is a hypothetical that will NEVER happen, because Lowe and MacT will NEVER be fired, and they will never hire someone clearly smarter then them. And u can rest assured that a good part of the reason is because STH always renew.

If the building were half empty, as would be expected for a team with the worst record in NHL history, Lowe and co. would be gone.

People and businesses can spend their money however they want, but to say they are not part of the problem is a lie.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Lowe and Mac T are here until the day they die.

225px-Richard_Nixon%27s_Head.jpg

Will MacT and Lowe each have their own jar or share one?

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
I think there is a plausible explanation about why it's time to go.

e) Failure in the Oilers management for expecting Hall to be a leader/signing Ference and making him captain.

Hall will make a great first line LW somewhere as long as there are strong vets the dressing room show Hall why great players are leaders. Management failed in not giving Hall that mentorship.

Management failed by hyping the **** out of Hall, and then when he finally showed he could put the team on his back and was maturing and could handle the pressure....made Ference captain.

Zihuatanejo

Aug 4, 2014
Alberta

I agree with you, I don't live in Edmonton so season tickets are not a logical option for me but I still pay the money and go to games when I get the chance ****** team or not.

I completely understand why people hang on to season tickets and I would argue that a lot of times its for the same reason I will still pay to go to a game when I get the chance, because I still enjoy hockey. Of course it sucks to lose but at the end of the day I'm not in charge of the team and my choosing not to go isn't going to change anything so I will continue to pay the money and watch my favourite sport live whenever possible.

gwiz999

Jul 18, 2013
Management failed by hyping the **** out of Hall, and then when he finally showed he could put the team on his back and was maturing and could handle the pressure....made Ference captain.

Taylor Hall was not ready to be captain when Ference was appointed, nor is he ready yet. He might be the best player on the team (although it was RNH who was selected to attend the all-star game this year) but that doesn't automatically make him captain material. His body language on the ice and bench needs to be reigned in and he has a habit of reckless retaliation going back to World Juniors, especially when frustrated. Off ice there is also some question as to his "character" which I won't get into, suffice it to say there are enough stories and first hand accounts to think that if 10% of the stories are true, then there is a problem.

ETA: Ference is involved in the community because he wants to be, what about Hall?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad