Confirmed with Link: Taylor Hall receives 5k fine for sucker punch on Lyubushkin

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Wouldn't surprise me, I think I'd take Chara in a second over Parros. Chara seemed respectable when he played, he seemed to have his own code of conduct and rarely went after guys when he could.

He'd defend his teammates, but he could have been a menace if he wanted to
Chara has been the worst sucker puncher for the last decade.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Is a $5000 sucker punch bounty on Ferraro's son ok with Ray?

I'm all for bringing back the Domi/Ulf sucker punch. Open season on any team's players. Leafs can afford the $5000 per.

Ferrari's son played the majority of his NHL games for the Bruins.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Wouldn't surprise me, I think I'd take Chara in a second over Parros. Chara seemed respectable when he played, he seemed to have his own code of conduct and rarely went after guys when he could.

He'd defend his teammates, but he could have been a menace if he wanted to
Chara salivated over trying to fight players half his size... whenever he fought players close to his size he would clutch and fall. I would have loved to have a prime Chara on my team, but he definitely went after players whenever the opportunity presented itself.

Reactions: saltming

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
On a side note $5000 is a laughable fine for someone making that money.
The league should either make the fine a percentage of the players salary, which would be fair across the party scale, or give games automatically if there is injury where the other player misses any game time.
5G's when you make millions is not a penalty

OddyOh

Really, Healy?
Aug 18, 2010
Regina, SK
The league should either make the fine a percentage of the players salary, which would be fair across the party scale, or give games automatically if there is injury where the other player misses any game time.
I can only assume those fines were written in the 1920's and never updated. (kidding, sort of). :(

Reactions: saltming

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
Sucker punch from behind. Leaf injured. League does essentially nothing. Shanahan does not come out in support of his players. Dubas does not come out in support of his players. Keefe does not order Clifford to even up.

The message to Leaf players: you are each on your own. This is not a "team".

The message to Leaf's first round playoff opponent: physically intimidate the Leafs. Finish every check hard. Gang up on any Leaf who pushes back in the least, no one will have his back. Laugh at their bench as you skate by. Total disrespect will win the day against this Leafs team.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I don't advocate violence but I do think on the play it should have been 2 calls as the Bruin coming out of the box tripped Lyubushkin causing him to fall.

How the officials missed that is beyond me.

My message to the Leafs next game against Boston would be to NOT retaliate. You know the officials will be looking for that.

As for us fans complaining about the penalties for and against the Leafs I went through the game summaries for the 66 games Leafs have played so far this year.

In 30 games Leafs have had more penalties, 20 games they had less and 16 games were equal.

If it was listed as a penalty I included it, majors, misconducts, delay of the game, end of the game calls.

Most of the games where we had more calls against us (17) we had just one more penalty.
9 games it was 2 more penalties and 4 games it was 3 more calls.

For those games where we had less penalties 11 of those games we had 1 more powerplay, 5 with 2 more powerplays and 4 games where we had 3 more powerplays.

We also had the first penalty call in 30 of the games.

As I'm not a stats person I would love to see how it is for every team and even break it down for Canadian based vs American based teams.

That's the medias job though if they think there is any funny business going on.

EDIT I also didn't calculate 2 man advantage as my brain started to hurt so I stopped. LOL

Last edited:

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Sucker punch from behind. Leaf injured. League does essentially nothing. Shanahan does not come out in support of his players. Dubas does not come out in support of his players. Keefe does not order Clifford to even up.

The message to Leaf players: you are each on your own. This is not a "team".

The message to Leaf's first round playoff opponent: physically intimidate the Leafs. Finish every check hard. Gang up on any Leaf who pushes back in the least, no one will have his back. Laugh at their bench as you skate by. Total disrespect will win the day against this Leafs team.
The problem is, last time we spoke up instead of fixing the problem the league doubled down and said f*** you and the officiating/suspensions have been extremely biased against us since then. Who can you go to with the issue at hand, when the people in charge are basically telling you to go f yourself if you have a problem. If you complain publicly we'll f*** you even harder.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
The Leafs dressed a guy last night that has over 80 career fights.
This idiotic, archaic notion that having a face puncher in the lineup, somehow acts as a deterrent, is stupid.
Even stupider, is the idea that retaliating is actually worth a damn thing. It isn't.
Ask Lyubushkin's skull how effective that deterrent was last night.

Having 80 fights is meaningless when you play for a team that tells you not to fight.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
The problem is, last time we spoke up instead of fixing the problem the league doubled down and said f*** you and the officiating/suspensions have been extremely biased against us since then. Who can you go to with the issue at hand, when the people in charge are basically telling you to go f yourself if you have a problem. If you complain publicly we'll f*** you even harder.
Interesting you brought that up as a few years ago (can't remember what season it was) I calculated the suspensions of players on Canadian based teams vs American teams and found that it was disproportionately against the Canadian teams.

After witnessing the mugging the Canucks and Oilers were subjected to in playoff games a few years ago to me it was obvious that the league did not want them to advance.

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
Ferraro's "Take": Goodnight.

Dahlin saw Matthews rising and moved.
Lyubushkin didn't see Hall rise or punch him.

Dahlin absorbed Matthews' retaliatory cross-check after throwing what looked a cross-check before Matthews'.
Lyubushkin threw a clean hit that Hall turned away from.

Anyone who has ever experienced both can attest to the force that varies with each action. How the league led by an ex-enforcer can't distinguish the actual effect from perceived potential effect is incredible. Meaning, Parros KNOWS what kind of pressure it takes to knock someone out having been on the receiving end. It takes FAR LESS than people other than ex-NHL enforcers realize.

So...Lyubushkin was: A) A victim of retaliation; B) Hit from behind; C) Had his head turn in a way that's consistent with being knocked out; D) Was helped off the ice with his head down the entire time and E) Will miss games.

There's an appeal process, yes?
Perros is brain-dead.
That is why he is chief - because he signs anything they put in front of him.

Reactions: ITM

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I was thinking the same thing myself.

Taylor Hall is a player who so far, has over 56m in career earnings, he probably has 5k floating around in his couch cushions.

What was needed was to apply the NHL policy as it pertains to head shots, when the principle target is the head and the blow causes an injury, which means a suspension of at least one game, his one day paycheque is $26,905. and even then it's still a drop in the bucket. It's not like Hall has a clean record Shanny actually suspended him for a 2 games for a knee/knee on Cal Clutterbuck and then not long after he was let off for a two handed slash of Zeb Michalek.

...and what about the high cross-check on Kerfoot who was not engaged and which was long after the whistle and up into the players neck which also knocked him down(this was after the Kampf goal), not a peep from the on ice officials, Matthews got 2 games for an almost identical play the exception being is that Dahlin was fully engaged.

The gosh golly gee whiz "nobody's perfect" from Dubas at the meetings on Monday claiming how tough the on ice guys had it, and that they were doing their best, I guess went unheeded and ignored and that the Leafs would just see more of the same. McJeebuzz complained about all the missed calls and McJeebuzz started to get the usually ignored slashes and holds calls.

I am absolutely sick of this crap from the league where it concerns our Buds.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Why is the mainboard thread closed?

Isn’t lub having a head injury a significant development?

Any mods explain why it’s closed?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Considering that I was half expecting a fine or suspension to Lub for his hit on Hall....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad