Taylor Hall has 1 goal in 19 games

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
All their stars can't score 5v5. Curtis Lazar leads the team with four 5v5 goals, Tobias Rieder is second with three. They're paid 1.5 AAV combined.

Reinhart, Eichel, Hall, Olofsson & Skinner have three combined. They're paid 35.25 AAV.

I've never seen anything like this before, not that I've looked though.

Hall has cost himself a lot of money.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
This why you go for the long term deal when you have the chance. A lot can go wrong when you sign a 1 year deal, Hall being the most recent example. Unless he gets moved to a playoff team & has a great run, his value has tanked and he's probably lost quite a bit of money on his next deal.

Reactions: FMichael

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
This why you go for the long term deal when you have the chance. A lot can go wrong when you sign a 1 year deal, Hall being the most recent example. Unless he gets moved to a playoff team & has a great run, his value has tanked and he's probably lost quite a bit of money on his next deal.

I don't even think moving to a contender will help his value. He is who he is at this point in his career and any GM would be a lunatic to offer him a big ticket deal.

The fact we're in the midst of uncertain financial times makes for a very hard market for Hall to cash in on. I agree with you about losing money. Hall should have taken a long term deal when he had the chance. Hindsight is always 20/20 but still doesn't change the fact. He has cost himself millions chasing that big contract.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Then he cant bitch and moan about he's always on the worst teams. You can't have it both ways. Go to Colorado or Vegas and STILL make millions and win.

He can't have it both ways.
I didn't know he was bitching and moaning? I think he wanted to make a differnce in Buffalo.. when I saw Eichel/Hall/Rasmus I was thinking they'd be pretty good.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
I didn't know he was bitching and moaning? I think he wanted to make a differnce in Buffalo.. when I saw Eichel/Hall/Rasmus I was thinking they'd be pretty good.

Pre-Buffalo. He always complained about playing or "losing/bad teams"

Wish him the best. Again, nothing to do with Buffalo.

Reactions: IceKitties

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I said it was a HUGE mistake by the Sabres to sign Hall, especially at that price. I was scolded. I said Hall has weak character and is in the same mold as Phil Kessel. A complimentary player that you absolutely cannot pay to carry a team - or his line. To my surprise the signing hasn't paid off for the Sabres! :sarcasm:

He's not the player they needed. They already tried that with the top albatros contract of Skinner. Queue that with the trainwreck contract in the form of Okposo. I guess the GM in Buffalo is a complete moron.

I mean, Hall is a very skilled player. But his mental strength is average and his drive isn't impressive. He's not a player that gives it all to win and hence will never be a core player for a Cup winning team. He does his job and that's it.

If you have to pay $8m for his services you have a very specific gap in your team (a solid team with two solid core top lines that needs an extra oomph and you have the cash) or you're probably better off not paying that price for his qualities.

Fortunately for the Sabres, that headache is gone the next season. Now on to especially Skinner (OUCH!) and also Okposo.

Last edited:

TheHelmet

Feb 10, 2021
Pat Laftonaines Trophy Room
Hall has been decent in generating scoring chances which as you can tell is tough for this team right now.
And it is only 1 year.

But Kruger is the head coach and he really only cares about "Rieder - Eakin - Okposo"

He puts them out after icings...... Imagine looking down your bench and calling these guys to go out after an icing in the offensive zone.

"What I have liked about that line is its ability to play against the top lines of the other team..... and I have to tell you, that last game was their most productive offensively"

They have the worst Xgf% by a pretty considerable margin on any line in the NHL
That line has 5 points between them

Reactions: generalshepherd141

Shocker

Dec 20, 2019
Only positive for Sabres, it's only a 1 year deal.

Wish they could say that about Skinner..

Woncka

Jan 19, 2021
Good riddance

- NJ Devils

didnt want that long term contract where he could potentially blow his knee out

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Good riddance

- NJ Devils

didnt want that long term contract where he could potentially blow his knee out
Nevermind he has never been a player you build a winning team around. He was great padding stats on a crap team though.
He’s obviously going to pick up the pace, his sh% is ridiculously low
Regardless if his shooting percentage was higher, his scoring - and especially his intensity and composure - wouldn't turn things around in Buffalo, would they? Buffalo needs to pay $8m to a skilled player that hates to lose. Those are a rare breed nowadays.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
The fact that Taylor Hall could only secure a 1 year deal of $8 million from a team like the Buffalo Sabres should have been a red-flag for everyone expecting big things from him.

If he was viewed highly around the league, then he wouldn't have had to settle for a 1 year deal for $8 million with a team that hasn't made the playoffs in a decade.

Reactions: MikeK

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Hilariously overrated player. Will never understand Flames fans obsession with signing him. Maybe it's some weird inferiority complex with the Oilers.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Skinner is a fraud

What a bankrupt type signing

Sabres should complain to the league
Even before his last 2 seasons, signing a player for $9 million per year when his career high is 63 points is stupid.

I would have offered him $6-$7 million at most, and then walked away if he didn't accept it.

Teams need to start employing proper player valuation, and walking-away if the player wants substantially more than that.

"Who else will we sign?" and "We need to sign someone" are not good excuses for giving a player $3 million more than they are worth.

All falling into those traps does is ensure you will be stuck in mediocrity, or even worse the basement.

Signing B-level or C-level talent to A-level contracts is one of the worst mistakes a team can possibly make in a salary cap league.

Reactions: The Panther

member 329811

It's coaching..... again. From behind the bench all the way up to the top of the organization.

It continues to be nothing but failure.

When it comes to motivators and running through walls for coaches... heard that often when RK came on board, but to tell you the truth, Ted Nolan is a better motivator and likely could get more out of this team right now than RK... and no, don't interpret that as a plea to hire Teddy.

Not really sure what this organization needs, but whatever it's getting out of Pegula and company right now is surely the opposite.

Reactions: generalshepherd141

FeatherHead

Oct 5, 2017
I think we can all agree Buffalo made fabulous investments in Hall and Skinner. And Okposo. And Filpula. And Ehrhoff. That O’Reilly trade was a dandy, too.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Probably cost himself somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-12 million dollars in career earnings by signing that contract. He better hope he can get on a heater the last half of the season.

Really not that surprising, he's always been kind of an idiot both on and off the ice.

Reactions: Mez and MikeK

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
I said it was a HUGE mistake by the Sabres to sign Hall, especially at that price. I was scolded. I said Hall has weak character and is in the same mold as Phil Kessel. A complimentary player that you absolutely cannot pay to carry a team - or his line. To my surprise the signing hasn't paid off for the Sabres! :sarcasm:

He's not the player they needed. They already tried that with the top albatros contract of Skinner. Queue that with the trainwreck contract in the form of Okposo. I guess the GM in Buffalo is a complete moron.

I mean, Hall is a very skilled player. But his mental strength is average and his drive isn't impressive. He's not a player that gives it all to win and hence will never be a core player for a Cup winning team. He does his job and that's it.

If you have to pay $8m for his services you have a very specific gap in your team (a solid team with two solid core top lines that needs an extra oomph and you have the cash) or you're probably better off not paying that price for his qualities.

Fortunately for the Sabres, that headache is gone the next season. Now on to especially Skinner (OUCH!) and also Okposo.
This post is correct.

Taylor Hall would be good on a team like Boston or Colorado. Teams who already have their top players in-place, and are looking for someone to help enhance their 2nd line.

But to expect anything more out of Taylor Hall would be foolish.

Other than his one outlier season in New Jersey, all he has ever done as the lead player is lead his teams to non-playoff berths.

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
Skinner is a fraud

What a bankrupt type signing

Sabres should complain to the league
What is Buffalo going to say lol?

They deserve 0 help from the league.

It's not like minus Skinner they're a great team.. their stars are having awful seasons too. Bad decisions in management and player personnel have piled up and now they have developed a culture of losing.

Even if the next CBA gives them a buyout for Skinner the problems run so deep it's going to take a major overhaul from the top down imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad