Taylor Chorney Appreciation Thread

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
It's not the most scientific way to evaluate players, but when I look at D-men in particular, I judge their play based on how often they do or DON'T piss me off. I honestly can't think of more than one or two plays he's made the entire time he's been up here where I rolled my eyes thinking "What the hell are you doing?"

I may be in the wrong here, but the guy has been next to perfect given his role and who he's partnered with. Very good offensive awareness in the opposition zone, smart decisions in the defensive zone...

And with Letang out, he's EASILY our most mobile D-man. That spin move he made in the corner that forced the Rag player to hook him (which led to Kunitz's PP goal) not only takes ability, but smarts and confidence too.

I have no idea why some guys spend entire careers in the AHL, but as far as I'm concerned, he's a very good bottom pairing guy, and I appreciate the work he's done in his short stint with the big club.

You are absolutely right. Well said.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
If it weren't for Dumo not being waiver exempt, I'd like to see Chorney as our 7D. Hopefully he signs a 2 way deal with us.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Chorney was a 36th overall pick, he doesn't lack pedigree. And Dumo has been pretty successful at every level, dominant in the A. There's no reason to think that either of them can't be solid, mid-pairing NHL d men, or very solid 3rd pairing D men. I for one think Dumo has a higher ceiling of an excellent #4 or a solid #3.

And as of right now, I'd rather ride the Dumo + Chorney pairing than bringing in DP for either of them, they have good chemistry and showed pretty good improvement just from game 1 to game 2. Scuds really should be the one who sits, then you can do:

Martin Cole
Pouliot Lovejoy
Dumo Chorney

But we all know that will never, ever happen. I am just hoping Cole, DP, Dumo and Chorney give the org enough confidence to dump Scuds in the offseason.

And why is it that logic will never prevail in this organization. I will take good youth (Chorney/Dumo)over bad experience(Scuds/LJ) any day.

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
Is he a free agent after this season? If so how much could it possibly cost to sign him?

Gary Bets Man

"All bets are off."
Feb 4, 2015
Chorney's been one of the only good things to come out of the end of the season for us. Would love to keep him as a cheap bottom pairing next year.

As for LJ, it pains me to say it but he hasn't been bad in these playoffs. Was surprised to see him actually looking for a pass and taking a hit to make a play. Also only he, Martin and Chorney can shoot from the point right now and IMO he actually is the best of the 3 at that. Something we badly need right now. (Getting sick...)

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Chorney's been one of the only good things to come out of the end of the season for us. Would love to keep him as a cheap bottom pairing next year.

As for LJ, it pains me to say it but he hasn't been bad in these playoffs. Was surprised to see him actually looking for a pass and taking a hit to make a play. Also only he, Martin and Chorney can shoot from the point right now and IMO he actually is the best of the 3 at that. Something we badly need right now. (Getting sick...)

Cole is the best we have right now at shooting from the point. Martin is one of the worst.

Gary Bets Man

"All bets are off."
Feb 4, 2015
LJ has 8 shots these playoffs good for first among D. Cole has 4 by my count. When no one's shooting from the point, any shots a good shot right now.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'd keep him around as a 6/7 next year if possible. This discussion is probably more appropriate for roster thread, but I'll post it here anyway. These are my D pairings for next year:

Maatta-Letang (a true first pairing that plays 25 minutes a night)
Dumoulin-Cole (2nd/3rd pairing 18 minutes a night. Let these two grow together all season and you may have a solid 2nd pairing by playoffs)
Pouliot-Lovejoy
Chorney

Let Ehrhoff and Martin walk. Ship Scuderi to wherever. That defense would be very good IMO if you put Despres in place of Dumo and Dumo for Lovejoy, but we are where we are. Harrington is first call up. This let's him have one more year of development in the AHL and he can step in for Lovejoy the following year. That's a cheap defense with solid potential and opens up cap space up front.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
I'd keep him around as a 6/7 next year if possible. This discussion is probably more appropriate for roster thread, but I'll post it here anyway. These are my D pairings for next year:

Maatta-Letang (a true first pairing that plays 25 minutes a night)
Dumoulin-Cole (2nd/3rd pairing 18 minutes a night. Let these two grow together all season and you may have a solid 2nd pairing by playoffs)
Pouliot-Lovejoy
Chorney

Let Ehrhoff and Martin walk. Ship Scuderi to wherever. That defense would be very good IMO if you put Despres in place of Dumo and Dumo for Lovejoy, but we are where we are. Harrington is first call up. This let's him have one more year of development in the AHL and he can step in for Lovejoy the following year. That's a cheap defense with solid potential and opens up cap space up front.

Agreed; I'd even be good with...

Maatta-Letang
Pouliot-Cole (and let THEM grow together all season)
Dumoulin-Chorney (and let them continue together, as they seem to have good chemistry)

...with Lovejoy and Harrington as next guy in...

BUT, that will not happen, of course; if Lovejoy is here, and not injured, he is definitely IN the lineup (as the egg on the face after trading Despres for him and then benching him would absolutely be too much to bear for the org, IMO).

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Agreed; I'd even be good with...

Maatta-Letang
Pouliot-Cole (and let THEM grow together all season)
Dumoulin-Chorney (and let them continue together, as they seem to have good chemistry)

...with Lovejoy and Harrington as next guy in...

BUT, that will not happen, of course; if Lovejoy is here, and not injured, he is definitely IN the lineup (as the egg on the face after trading Despres for him and then benching him would absolutely be too much to bear for the org, IMO).

Yeah I am good with that too. I just think for Lovejoy to be effective, he needs another guy to carry the load with the puck. The Fowler-Lovejoy pairing worked well because Lovejoy had an elite puck mover and he could just play a safe reliable game. He can still do that, but with Pouliot. Let them work together on the 3rd pair with less pressure for Pouliot at even strength.

Either way, I want to run with a cheap defense next year.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
Yeah I am good with that too. I just think for Lovejoy to be effective, he needs another guy to carry the load with the puck. The Fowler-Lovejoy pairing worked well because Lovejoy had an elite puck mover and he could just play a safe reliable game. He can still do that, but with Pouliot. Let them work together on the 3rd pair with less pressure for Pouliot at even strength.

Either way, I want to run with a cheap defense next year.

Good points; can't disagree. Either of the options would work (and be relatively cheap...)

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
He's done a nice job since being called up. More of #44 and less of #4.

#44 is 11 times as good a #4. It's mathematical and sounds about right.

I don't understand why we needed to get Lovejoy or Scuderi instead of giving our AHL guys a chance.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Nobody understands that. Nobody. Not even our front office, despite their very best attempt at trying to ******** everyone.

JQR

Clearly it's Lovejoy
Jan 25, 2012
LJ has 8 shots these playoffs good for first among D. Cole has 4 by my count. When no one's shooting from the point, any shots a good shot right now.

Half of his shots on net were because he shot it on net instead of doing a dump-in along the boards. They were from beyond the blue line. They were the exact opposite of quality shots.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Chorney isn't youth. He's the same age as Letang.

I like how he's played, but looking better than Scuderi isn't some great feat. He's a #8 d-man on most teams. You can't let a few playoff games cement someone into your starting lineup. He'll get exposed.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Chorney was serviceable. Hopefully they buyout Scuds and I wouldn't mind Chorney sticking around as a dirt cheap veteran 7th D-Man.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Chorney was serviceable. Hopefully they buyout Scuds and I wouldn't mind Chorney sticking around as a dirt cheap veteran 7th D-Man.

Yup. Give him a one year deal at 600K. Worst case he falls back to Earth next season and you can bury 100% of that cap hit in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad