Taylor Chorney Appreciation Thread

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
It's not the most scientific way to evaluate players, but when I look at D-men in particular, I judge their play based on how often they do or DON'T piss me off. I honestly can't think of more than one or two plays he's made the entire time he's been up here where I rolled my eyes thinking "What the hell are you doing?"

I may be in the wrong here, but the guy has been next to perfect given his role and who he's partnered with. Very good offensive awareness in the opposition zone, smart decisions in the defensive zone...

And with Letang out, he's EASILY our most mobile D-man. That spin move he made in the corner that forced the Rag player to hook him (which led to Kunitz's PP goal) not only takes ability, but smarts and confidence too.

I have no idea why some guys spend entire careers in the AHL, but as far as I'm concerned, he's a very good bottom pairing guy, and I appreciate the work he's done in his short stint with the big club.

Last edited:

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
As I said before the series, Chorney deserved to be in our playoffs lineup. And he´s only confirming that now. He can be a serviceable 3rd pair D. Dominated in AHL this year, so it´s not that surprising that he´s doing decent now. Too bad we realized this too late. Otherwise Despres could still be here.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
He also made Dumoulin look good in WBS, better than he actually is. As we are seeing now, Dumoulin is kinda the Lovejoy of that pairing and Chorney the Fowler.

He definately is a guy we need to make a part of our future plans in coming years.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
He also made Dumoulin look good in WBS, better than he actually is. As we are seeing now, Dumoulin is kinda the Lovejoy of that pairing and Chorney the Fowler.

He definately is a guy we need to make a part of our future plans in coming years.

Let's slow down on that one...lol.

Chorney is a career AHL defenseman who is having a few good playoff games.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I think Dumoulin just needs confidence and a little seasoning.

He made one play in the first period where he wheeled around the net with someone on his back with ease and made a really nice play. Like Chorney, that takes confidence and ability.

The rest of the game, like the first, he looked like he was just playing it "safe" and not relying on his ability.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Chorney hasn't looked any worse than Lovejoy - not saying that's some crowning achievement, but still..

It's a bit of an "oh ****" moment when you give up a former 1st rounder for a guy who is on-par with an AHL journeyman that you have in the minors.

Last edited:

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I'd like to remind everyone that Chorney was a pretty highly regarded prospect who probably got derailed a bit by the org that drafted him. He isn't some no talent hack that we just stumbled upon. The only thing that Lovejoy and Scuderi have on him is the trump card of experience.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I'd like to remind everyone that Chorney was a pretty highly regarded prospect who probably got derailed a bit by the org that drafted him. He isn't some no talent hack that we just stumbled upon. The only thing that Lovejoy and Scuderi have on him is the trump card of experience.

Chorney was a 36th overall pick, he doesn't lack pedigree. And Dumo has been pretty successful at every level, dominant in the A. There's no reason to think that either of them can't be solid, mid-pairing NHL d men, or very solid 3rd pairing D men. I for one think Dumo has a higher ceiling of an excellent #4 or a solid #3.

And as of right now, I'd rather ride the Dumo + Chorney pairing than bringing in DP for either of them, they have good chemistry and showed pretty good improvement just from game 1 to game 2. Scuds really should be the one who sits, then you can do:

Martin Cole
Pouliot Lovejoy
Dumo Chorney

But we all know that will never, ever happen. I am just hoping Cole, DP, Dumo and Chorney give the org enough confidence to dump Scuds in the offseason.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
both dumo and chorney have shown they can skate out of trouble if need be. the next time lovejoy or scuderi do that might be the first time.

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
Certainly there should be appreciation for Chorney. He has been a very average defensemen for us, which is a gigantic win considering the situation and what has been asked of him.

His role is to play solid defense and not screw things up. I'd say he's been even better than that even if just sightly. Again, win.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
Another excellent game for Chorney tonight, and Dumoulin beginning to flash that big game talent he showed in the Frozen Four and AHL playoffs.

I feel dirty hoping Scuds gets injured tomorrow in practice. But with this management team it's clearly the only way to get our best 6 D on the ice together. Harrington could hardly be worse, and he's used to playing in high pressure games from his OHL days.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013

The Oilers ruin everything they touch :laugh:

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
I've been following this guy a little bit since the 2005 draft becouse my brother was born exactly the same day as him. Yes he went 36th overall then, yes he was drafted by an organisation that put too much pressure on him to be the go-to-guy. And yes, i am VERY happy that he plays for Pittsburgh now. Was captain for the US in the WJC too.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
He's done a nice job since being called up. More of #44 and less of #4.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
Well, it's only reasonable to hope that we have good player development somewhere in the organization. :sarcasm:

it's painfully obvious Hines is the best coach in the entire organization.

If we can't get a top-flight guy this off-season, I would applaud him being named the next coach as long as he had a strong 2nd to help him with the stars.

In WBS - you play hard, and the right way every night, or you don't play. The Pens are desperate for that kind of coach right now.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
it's painfully obvious Hines is the best coach in the entire organization.

If we can't get a top-flight guy this off-season, I would applaud him being named the next coach as long as he had a strong 2nd to help him with the stars.

In WBS - you play hard, and the right way every night, or you don't play. The Pens are desperate for that kind of coach right now.

The time to hire Hynes would've been last summer. I don't think you can bring in another rookie head coach when MJ's tenure comes to an end.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
The time to hire Hynes would've been last summer. I don't think you can bring in another rookie head coach when MJ's tenure comes to an end.

I see your point Kirk. However I am desperate for some accountability after these last 5 years.

Clearly it's not coming from MJ.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Some people need to curb their expectation... He looks to be a solid 5/6 slot defenseman. A good fill in #4 in a injury situation. Good on him and glad he took this opportunity to probably carve out a spot for himself on the big club. But we need to be realistic about what this guy is, a bottom pairing d, not a corner piece of the future.

PensFreak

Jun 5, 2007
Martin he's stepped up at all in the wake of these injuries. Watching the games, Chorney, Cole, and even Dumoulin have been the most impressive to me.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
Some people need to curb their expectation... He looks to be a solid 5/6 slot defenseman. A good fill in #4 in a injury situation. Good on him and glad he took this opportunity to probably carve out a spot for himself on the big club. But we need to be realistic about what this guy is, a bottom pairing d, not a corner piece of the future.

This...

Still happy though we at least have an NHL ready #5 turning up seemingly out of nowhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00