Player Discussion: #TavaresWatch: It's Over. Thomas Hickey, come get the Stanley Cup! (Warning #2834)

Status
Not open for further replies.

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
I just hope he lets his agent put us out of our misery after midnight. I have a sick feeling we are going to get the "Islanders still in the mix" garbage to help drive price.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I honestly don't think I've seen such a long, nervous build-up where people are just waiting to pop one way or another since the 2016 U.S. Election. At least then, there was a timetable of when we knew a president would be elected.

You just know it's going to drag out another week at this point. We'll have to sit here and watch JT jet set around the country visiting all the facilities so he can do his due diligence. We'll be told that we are still in it, but we really won't be. We are just insurance, his safety net as he chooses his next home.

Reactions: HC7 and dtrain24

isles93

Jul 8, 2006
New York
Sucks but it's hard not to respect Tavares, he was an Islander through and through till the end of his contract. He showed tremendous loyalty.

I hope he re-signs with the Isles tomorrow, otherwise, best of luck to him wherever he goes not named Toronto.
What does that mean? He showed tremendous loyalty?
Ahe fulfilled the contract he signed. If he signs again he showed loyality,, if not he did notshow loyality. Why the f*** is everyone trying to make this guy out to be something he may not be. If he stayes he is loyal and wants to build a cup winniner on the island. If he leaves he wants someone to do it for him.
Hockey is not the NBA. You don’t build super teams. An expansion team just went to the cup in their first season. JT can try to be a leader and win a cup in NY or he can leave and try to win a cup where the “odds” are better.
But stop making excuses for the guy.

Reactions: beLIever and mm11

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
You just know it's going to drag out another week at this point. We'll have to sit here and watch JT jet set around the country visiting all the facilities so he can do his due diligence. We'll be told that we are still in it, but we really won't be. We are just insurance, his safety net as he chooses his next home.

After midnight, we are out of the picture

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
This reminds me of so many deals I have had over the years, where you don't hear beyond the decision date and assume you are out of contention and then find out at the last minute after the deadlines that you got the deal.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
This reminds me of so many deals I have had over the years, where you don't hear beyond the decision date and assume you are out of contention and then find out at the last minute after the deadlines that you got the deal.

The only way its going that deep is if Lou is playing hardball and hoping they cave last minute. If some sort of battle is going on over the price its likely we hear nothing til 1210-1230

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
From the end of last season I said he was gone. I'm ok with that and I understand why he's leaving. I understand doing the PR thing by saying you'd like to stay with the team, I understand holding meetings with 5 other teams, I understand going into yesterday ironing out details, I understand if he doesn't want to wait to be a contender...but I don't understand stringing us along and not being upfront over the past few days. That's unacceptable.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
I'm not a sens fan, but I can imagine Karlsson behaving the same way. It sucks for the Isles and it might end up sucking for the sens, but it's hard to hold the two players against that. They're just fulfilling their contractual obligations.

Either way, I hope Tavares signs with the Isles...would be a shame for him to leave just when the team is on the upswing with the fresh new talent (including your guys' amazing draft)
Karlsson has openly said his desire to go to Free Agency and get paid, Tavares has said nothing other than his desire to remain on the Islanders

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
Los Angeles, CA & Surprise, AZ
It's 9pm in Toronto, there will be no announcement tonight.
That pretty much seals our fate. Go out and have a few drinks and try to enjoy what's left of a dark day in Islanders history. The only thing I can compare it to is the Hunter hit on Turgeon. Denying the Isles of another Stanley Cup.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
If he stays, great. I’m not happy about how all this played out but I’m more than sure i’ll get over it as he leads the Islanders into the beginning of what we can only hope is a resurgance.

If he leaves, I wish him and his family nothing but good health and happiness now and in the future. He has done nothing wrong in the sense that he is well within his rights to test out FA and leave if he wants to.

I also, however, wish he never raises the cup in another uniform. That would be far too bitter, and much too painful a sight. I don’t root for John Tavares. I root for the Islanders and if he’s not with them, he’s against them

Reactions: bigtim1988

HC7

May 2, 2018
9PM, pretty much a lock he's going to leave. He's had a year, find it hard to believe something changes at this point.

Reactions: bigtim1988

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Again, if Tavares had just told us he was leaving and we could have traded him or I will even give him if he was just honest earlier this week, I would have been disappointed and upset, but I would have gotten over it. The way he has handled this towards the fans of the team that drafted him and supported him for a decade is despicable. Absolutely unacceptable. He will absolutely become the single most hated individual player in my 30+ years of being a hockey fan. More than any other individual player. I will root for him to never ever sniff a cup and have him watch in tears when we finally win it again. I hope he has to live with that regret for the rest of his life.

He claims he wanted it to work out here, and that was when Snow and Weight were running the show. We bring in a top GM and the cup winning coach and he is leaving? He never wanted to stay. He is a fraud and a liar and deserves nothing but scorn from Isles fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad