Player Discussion: #TavaresWatch: It's Over. Thomas Hickey, come get the Stanley Cup! (Warning #2834)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Islanders could have gotten great assets back (or packaged Tavares with a Ladd contract to a team like Vegas).

Tavares could have chased his first Stanley Cup, and experienced what it feels to play for a non-Isles team for the first time in his pro career.

Some Western/Atlantic team might just have gotten by Washington with Tavares added to their core and won the Cup.

Could have been Win/Win/Win. Instead it's Lose/Win/Lose.

Reactions: SI90

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I don't remember Tavares requesting to not be traded at the deadline and I wouldn't have traded him if he was 50/50. But considering we've upgraded our coach and GM/President and he's still undecided tells me that there's no way he was really undecided when we had Weight/Snow at the helm.

So we've been played.

“Well, I don’t want to be traded,” he said after the team’s rigorous practice Friday at Northwell Health Ice Center. It was the Islanders’ first workout after two one-sided losses following the All-Star break and his first appearance after general manager Garth Snow told The Athletic in a text message Thursday, “I’m not trading John Tavares.”

Just for accuracy: Tavares happy Islanders have no plans to trade him

Reactions: isles55

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
“Well, I don’t want to be traded,” he said after the team’s rigorous practice Friday at Northwell Health Ice Center. It was the Islanders’ first workout after two one-sided losses following the All-Star break and his first appearance after general manager Garth Snow told The Athletic in a text message Thursday, “I’m not trading John Tavares.”

Just for accuracy: Tavares happy Islanders have no plans to trade him

This detail is what really bothers me if he bolts. I am fine with everything else except this.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Islanders could have gotten great assets back (or packaged Tavares with a Ladd contract to a team like Vegas).

Tavares could have chased his first Stanley Cup, and experienced what it feels to play for a non-Isles team for the first time in his pro career.

Some Western/Atlantic team might just have gotten by Washington with Tavares added to their core and won the Cup.

Could have been Win/Win/Win. Instead it's Lose/Win/Lose.

Sucks but it's hard not to respect Tavares, he was an Islander through and through till the end of his contract. He showed tremendous loyalty.

I hope he re-signs with the Isles tomorrow, otherwise, best of luck to him wherever he goes not named Toronto.

Reactions: bigtim1988

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Random chance that Lou has a deal signed already and has been stringing the other teams along so they’re not able to move forward with other plans? Maybe? Hopefully?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Wouldn’t be shocked if Lou was informed by Tavares and Brisson he’s moving on but is keeping it quite for some reason. Lou keeps things quite.

Maybe he’s working on a trade and doesn’t want the other team to know he’s desperate?

Idk.

Lou and Trotz also weren’t made available for media at the isles practice facility today.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Sucks but it's hard not to respect Tavares, he was an Islander through and through till the end of his contract. He showed tremendous loyalty.

I hope he re-signs with the Isles tomorrow, otherwise, best of luck to him wherever he goes not named Toronto.

I mean, would you prefer Erik Karlsson to show "tremendous loyalty" to the Senators through the end of his contract, right up until he signs with another team next year? That he'd just prefer to keep "staying loyal" to Ottawa as opposed to them getting even one measily asset for a departing player exercising his free agent rights?

Reactions: beLIever

MetsJetsIsles22

Oct 27, 2013
Wouldn’t be shocked if Lou was informed by Tavares and Brisson he’s moving on but is keeping it quite for some reason. Lou keeps things quite.

Maybe he’s working on a trade and doesn’t want the other team to know he’s desperate?

Idk.

Lou and Trotz also weren’t made available for media at the isles practice facility today.
i said this earlier, but was trying to be optimistic. what if we have a deal done, and moved on to the rest of LL's plan, but have yet to tell anyone simply because why help any other teams at all?

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I mean, would you prefer Erik Karlsson to show "tremendous loyalty" to the Senators through the end of his contract, right up until he signs with another team next year? That he'd just prefer to keep "staying loyal" to Ottawa as opposed to them getting even one measily asset for a departing player exercising his free agent rights?

I'm not a sens fan, but I can imagine Karlsson behaving the same way. It sucks for the Isles and it might end up sucking for the sens, but it's hard to hold the two players against that. They're just fulfilling their contractual obligations.

Either way, I hope Tavares signs with the Isles...would be a shame for him to leave just when the team is on the upswing with the fresh new talent (including your guys' amazing draft)

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I honestly don't think I've seen such a long, nervous build-up where people are just waiting to pop one way or another since the 2016 U.S. Election. At least then, there was a timetable of when we knew a president would be elected.

But that result would be similar to JT announcing that he has signed with the Canes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad