Value of: Tavares

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Would have been nice to have him in these playoffs, I reckon. Maybe the Isles could have been competitive against the contenders?

Oh well, there's always next year...
Yeah,maybe instead of just making game 6 of the ECF, the isles could have made the SC finals :sarcasm:

Oh and no way Tavares waives his NMC.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
He has a NMC. You're going to have to find a team that:

a) He'd be willing to waive to go to (and he has a NMC for a reason);
b) Has the liquidity to pay his contract (its basically all bonuses);
c) Has the pieces that Toronto wants available in a trade (which seems unlikely); and
d) Would move said pieces (which is more unlikely than c unless Tavares says that he's willing to go anywhere).

I don't see it happening.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
They really weren't...they were better in one game, where Tampa had 2 key players out and a suspension.

So, even if we take your expert analysis . . . if Tampa sweeps the next 4 games the Isles were 'Merrrlin Competitive Compliant' with 30 of the 31 teams! PLEASE . . .

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Yes Lebrun reported that JT/his agent and the leafs tried to get a trade with the isles to get the extra year/lower cap

JT/Dubas was willing to let the isles fans get the assets they were freaking out about.

but lou refused to take the trade.

I wonder how much he cost them? Picks? Prospects?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Yes Lebrun reported that JT/his agent and the leafs tried to get a trade with the isles to get the extra year/lower cap

JT/Dubas was willing to let the isles fans get the assets they were freaking out about.

So you think the isles would have received the same quality picks/prospects for Tavares rights days before July 1st, as they would have at the TDL, with multiple teams bidding for Tavares?

Do you realize how ridiculous that spin is? Seriously.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

So, the guy lies to us for a full year and we should do him a favor? And Lebrun was likely providing cover to JT for his perfidity . . . which needing reinforcing with JT Appreciation Night . . .

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Tavares for Weber + Danault.
Leafs will laugh at this, but it brings leadership, grit and a #1D.

Habs get a #1 center and can either sign a D in free agency, or trade Domi for a D similar to Dumba.
Are you nuts??

Tavares and his fluffy Leafs PJ's can stay in TO.

Weber and Danault are more important to the team than JT FFS.

And you think the Leafs will laugh at this? Yeah they would laugh all the way to the bank if they managed to get rid of Tavares!

Also, Tavares declined to even have an interview with Habs management and now he will waive his NMC to come play for us?? LOL

Come on now!

Last edited:
Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Are you nuts??

Tavares and his fluffy Leafs PJ's can stay in TO.

Weber and Danault are more important to the team than JT FFS.

And you think the Leafs will laugh at this? Yeah they would laugh all the way to the bank if they managed to get rid of Tavares!

Also, Tavares declined to even have an interview with Habs management and now he will waive his NMC to come play for us?? LOL

Come on now!
This whole question of JT’s value is moot anyway. Zero chance he gives up his No Move. Plus, his contract is kind of a no move too.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Exactly brother!

Only a bottom feeder who needs to hit the cap floor would consider JT, but JT would never waive to go there!
JT went to Toronto to stay. If the Leafs move out a big contract player it’s 100% for sure not going to be him. It’s bad form to ask a guy in that situation to waive his NMC too. He’s a Leaf to the end of this contract. And he should be.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Not too many bottom feeders are under the cap floor. Only 5 teams are currently below the floor.

Colorado - 14 signed / $59,135,595
New Jersey - 13 signed / $55,254,999
Buffalo - 10 signed / $47,041,667 (Reinhart, Olafsson RFA)
Detroit - 11 signed / $46,825,000 (Bertuzzi RFA)
Ottawa - 10 signed / $41,904,167

Four should easily get over the floor just by filling out the roster. The only team the cap floor argument could be made is for Ottawa. I don't think anyone is waiving a NMC to go there.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Tavares for Weber + Danault.
Leafs will laugh at this, but it brings leadership, grit and a #1D.

Habs get a #1 center and can either sign a D in free agency, or trade Domi for a D similar to Dumba.
Habs pass big and i mean BIG TIME.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Leafs need to allocate his cap spend on other areas .

cap hit - 11m but only has 34m actual salary left to be paid out so about 7m per x 5yrs

downside is he has a nmc but he wouldn't be the first player moved with that clause

so what do people feel he's worth ?

Leafs needs -

-top 4 D
-2nd-3rd line C
-picks prospects to use cap space savings to use to fill above needs if JT trade doesn't

value of Tavares ?

Leafs 2016/17.
95 points lost in round one

Leafs 2017/18
105 points lost in round one

Leafs 2018/19
100 points lost in round one

Leafs 2019/20
Pace for 95 points if a full season.
No playoffs

two seasons in Toronto and looks like he has had zero affect on the team results.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Forgot to wish Tavares a Happy 30th Birthday earlier this week. The big 30, glad he did not sign with the Isles. That 11M cap hit of a contract is not going to age well. As I said, maybe he did not like what Lou and Barry were selling in terms of team philosophy. About the logo and not the name on the back of the jersey.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Would have been nice to have him in these playoffs, I reckon. Maybe the Isles could have been competitive against the contenders?

Oh well, there's always next year...
I am happy with how far we did go. This year cannot end soon enough for most of us, and I got to watch my team get by three teams before losing to the Lightning. I wonder who we would have gotten in a trade, even in his final year, if he had not lied to keep your team intact?

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Pre-Covid the contract is moveable... in this new flat-cap era though? It would be a very hard sell, at least to get value for what you’re giving up in Tavares... if you’re willing to sell for pennies on the dollar (and he’s willing to waive), then yeah you can move him

Given the current circumstances they’re probably just better off holding on to him and looking for other ways to clear cap space

Reactions: A Pointed Stick

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
trades JT. biggest need listed as 2C..make sense lol

Matthews
Kerfoot
Engvall
Gauthier

yeah..JT is going absolutel;y nowhere

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest