Value of: Tavares

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
JT is going nowhere.

Regardless of what he is being paid, 11 mill on the cap is a no go for all decent teams in this flat cap.

The only teams that would afford him is a no go either because JT will not waive to go to a rebuilding bottom feeder.

Also, he is useless when it counts. So far since he signed in TO, they haven't won anything and let's be honest, JT has been a major disappointment in the playoffs for TO.

Hell this year they lost in the play-in so essentially didn't make the playoffs.

He's never really been clutch and the forwards in TO are soft and not too clutch either.

They have to learn how to win in big games and so far they haven't.
JT is also not the best role model to teach the youngsters how to win.

I don't believe he is a good captain.
I feel he's like he's a Pacioretti, albeit with more talent which make his disappearing acts in the PO even more a problem!

He's not leaving TO any time soon.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I’d like to look at this from the other end, what value does Tor get for JT outside of getting his contract off the books?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He's got a full no trade contract. He's not being moved, Leafs are stuck with him for the remainder of his contact. 11M per on what will be likely the declining years of his career.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Don’t see it happening. Tavares negotiated a no trade clause and likely retires a Leaf. The contract will likely be poor in the last three years or so but that’s the deal that was signed and both sides will need to deal with it.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
not only his he not getting traded ( asked for a NMC ) but why would you even want too JT is superstar center didnt he just score 45+ goals last season
maybe because i'd like the team to win and not just count how many goals a player scored 2 seasons ago

and you'd think if he was as good as you believe he was the team would have performed better , it actually performed worse

JT is a Demar DeRozen type of player , puts up points but doesn't make your team better .

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
With JT’s value I look at it this way: How have the Isles been since he left?
i'd rather ask, how would they be if he was still there, and letting Barzal slide down to 2nd line C and the offense is instantly better. Tavares is the #1C on a majority of the teams in the league

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
i'd rather ask, how would they be if he was still there, and letting Barzal slide down to 2nd line C and the offense is instantly better. Tavares is the #1C on a majority of the teams in the league
If he retires without a Cup, you just called his eternal nightmare.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Leafs need to allocate his cap spend on other areas .

cap hit - 11m but only has 34m actual salary left to be paid out so about 7m per x 5yrs

downside is he has a nmc but he wouldn't be the first player moved with that clause

so what do people feel he's worth ?

Leafs needs -

-top 4 D
-2nd-3rd line C
-picks prospects to use cap space savings to use to fill above needs if JT trade doesn't
How much cap hit are you willing to retain? He's not worth his cap hit.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
This isnt the guy the leafs should move,other players that are in the same boat...Are Matthews,Marner and Reilly...That is all

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West

With the 11m back that the Leafs could use to get players who perform in the playoffs? Much better off. Yes, I said it.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
How much cap hit are you willing to retain? He's not worth his cap hit.
he's not worth his cap hit but he is worth the actual cash that he's owed so i'm hopeful the team can sell that as well as his name recognition to return a decent pkg and a little cap savings

and by decent i don't mean a young num1 plus plus , i'm just hoping to get a solid 2nd pair D and a good prospect/pick

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Not being traded, full nmc, large contract, Capitan of the team, by and large loved by leafs nation regardless of some minor warts in his game.

Gains

Apr 29, 2012
Montreal
Tavares for Weber + Danault.
Leafs will laugh at this, but it brings leadership, grit and a #1D.

Habs get a #1 center and can either sign a D in free agency, or trade Domi for a D similar to Dumba.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->