• Tavares

Votes: 188 54.2%
  • Seguin

Votes: 159 45.8%

• Total voters

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Huh? I can't even guess what your getting at here, that list of players is in no way comparable. Especially since Barzal is by far the best player and to say Tavares "played with him" is disingenuous.
Excluding Tavares the others mentioned combined for 277 points. So saying it's not comparable is false.

Big Cactus

Gud Pro
Apr 9, 2018
Toronto
Excluding Tavares the others mentioned combined for 277 points. So saying it's not comparable is false.
It’s not comparable. Pick the duo!

Duo A:

596pts/667gp = .89ppg
228pts/312gp = .73ppg

Total: 824pts/979gp = .84ppg

Duo B:

207pts/343gp = .60ppg
377pts/715gp = .52ppg

584pts/1058gp = .55ppg

If you even consider arguing that ‘last 2 years it’s closer’ consider that Tavares is notorious for elevating his line mates see moulson, Okposo, PA Parenteau etc.

Seguin is very good and you could argue better than Tavares but linemates should be the backbone of your argument.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Before becoming a Maple Leaf, Tavares lost a poll against Tyler Seguin:

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/seguin-vs-tavares.2459529/

After becoming a Maple Leaf, Tavares has now defeated Seguin in a poll.

Tavares experienced roughly a 10% jump in his polling results against Tyler Seguin after joining Toronto.

Yet ANOTHER piece of clear evidence proving that there is no sort of “anti-Leafs agenda” on this forum. Yet Maple Leafs fans continue to propagate their narrative behind their victim mentality.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008

Tavares experienced roughly a 10% jump in his polling results against Tyler Seguin after joining Toronto.

Yet ANOTHER piece of clear evidence proving that there is no sort of “anti-Leafs agenda” on this forum. Yet Maple Leafs fans continue to propagate their narrative behind their victim mentality.

That original vote had less than 40 voters.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
That original vote had less than 40 voters.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/tavares-vs-seguin.2467131/

Tavares won this one but when you add the results of the two polls, it’s 97+15 for Tavares and 85+19 for Seguin. 112 for Tavares and 104 for Seguin. 51.85% for Tavares over the course of two polls and a very large sample size of 216 votes.

Now here, Tavares is winning with 53.8% of the vote. So, joining the Maple Leafs still marginally improved his stock in these polls. Not a relevant difference by any means but the fact that he improved his stock in an HF poll is yet another piece of evidence that shows that HFBoards does not have any sort of bias against Maple Leafs players.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/tavares-vs-seguin.2467131/

Tavares won this one but when you add the results of the two polls, it’s 97+15 for Tavares and 85+19 for Seguin. 112 for Tavares and 104 for Seguin. 51.85% for Tavares over the course of two polls and a very large sample size of 216 votes.

Now here, Tavares is winning with 53.8% of the vote. So, joining the Maple Leafs still marginally improved his stock in these polls. Not a relevant difference by any means but the fact that he improved his stock in an HF poll is yet another piece of evidence that shows that HFBoards does not have any sort of bias against Maple Leafs players.

Sorry, but there are many posters who are anti-Leaf. By saying this, I know you're not one, so you don't know.
If you want names they can be provided.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Sorry, but there are many posters who are anti-Leaf. By saying this, I know you're not one, so you don't know.
If you want names they can be provided.

Nobody said there aren’t posters who aren’t anti-Leaf. There are anti-fans if every single team in the NHL, and yes, there are probably more anti-Leaf fans than any other. However, the general consensus among the Leafs fans, is that there is some massive bias against them as a whole that causes their players to lose polls and be ranked much lower than they should be; we have a plethora of evidence that disproves this.

Mar 26, 2010

Less than 40 votes is a poll?

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015

Man that off-season game of Tavares must be huge lol.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
Meh, Tavares could score goal number 2 in a 5-0 game until the other team scores a goal in the last 30 seconds, its now 5-1. Now Tavares has the GWG. I tend not to put too much stock into that stat.
Have had him in Fantasy for years and many were OT winners.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I expect him to produce roughly what he did with the Islanders, give or take 5 or 6 points either direction. It just seems like some (emphasis on some) believe that the only thing holding him back from being a perennial Art Ross challenger is sub-par linemates in New York.

IMO, that's been my issue with the Tavares hype all along. This belief that he's somehow a 100 point guy being held back by substandard linemates, rather than accepting he's a point per game guy who can maybe reach high 80s/low 90s in points in a career year.

I also think that what is ignored is chemistry. There's a reason he clicked with Lee and Bailey, but not Eberle, even though Eberle is actually more talented than either Lee or Bailey. There's a reason that he clicked with Moulson, but not Okposo even though Okposo is a better player than Moulson.

This season, we'll see how much my theory is correct or not. If he somehow meshes with Marner to the tune of his first ever 100 point season, then hey, maybe there's something to the whole "he had bad linemates" thing and him being held back. But if he produces roughly what he's done his entire career? Maybe, just maybe, it's time to admit that's the type of player he is, and it's not always about his linemates.

Can you show me who is assuming he’s a 100 point player?

I ask because when I made a thread about him hitting 90, the vast majority including Leaf fans said ppg was more likely than 90.

So “this belief” that you quote is likely an opinion held by a few people that you are applying to the majority.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

So 3 polls, all separated by what most professional polling sites consider margin for error, and that's the conclusion you came to?

So dramatic. Stop whining.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
So 3 polls, all separated by what most professional polling sites consider margin for error, and that's the conclusion you came to?

So dramatic. Stop whining.

What? The whole point is that they are within the margin of error. It could be in either direction. It shows that a player being a Toronto Maple Leaf does not have a significant effect on the results of polls on HFBoards involving that player.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
What? The whole point is that they are within the margin of error. It could be in either direction. It shows that a player being a Toronto Maple Leaf does not have a significant effect on the results of polls on HFBoards involving that player.

It doesn't show that at all.

It's clear to everyone on this forum that fan allegiance plays a huge roll in the discussions and voting that happens. This site lacks objectivity, but we also know it, and to be honest, it's much worse on other hockey related boards like /r/hockey (reddit).

If you want evidence of anti-Leaf objectivity, visit the "overrated" threads or really any mainboard or trade value thread. To be honest, I think it's a small but very vocal minority that causes most of the issues, and can't help but go after Leaf players or the organization every chance they get - it's easy likes on this forum and sadly some people obviously post with that in mind. The current overrated thread is on it's second thread and about 50% of the pages are people fighting over Matthews. It's reasonable that he's brought up, but is it reasonable that it's half the thread? That's where the anti-bias comes in. They always point the direction of the conversation towards anti-Leaf by instigating an argument about one of our guys.

Another example: https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/who-has-the-worst-d-core-in-the-nhl.2535789/page-6

25% of the discussion is on the Leafs...aka a top 10 offensive d core, bottom 10 defensive d core....probably sits somewhere just below average. Last, though? Really? Are you telling me NYI, DET, CHI, OTT, MTL etc wouldn't have traded their defence core for ours? They don't belong in that discussion, and yet...they somehow are the 3rd most mentioned team.

This has been happening in online hockey circles as long as I can remember, that's what happens when you are the big baddy I guess. It happened even when the team sucked, and most of us had to bite our tongues....the current brash, confident and probably annoying Leaf fan base is a product of a decade of being the easy target. If you constantly make the narrative about how bad they are, "1967", etc then it shouldn't be a shock that the fanbase gets rowdy and pushes back now that the team is a legitimate threat.

The endless "leaf homers" whining gets old.

Last edited:
Reactions: MoreMogilny

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad