Tavares vs. Seguin

• Tavares

Votes: 188 54.2%
  • Seguin

Votes: 159 45.8%

• Total voters

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
While the difference is not astronomical, Tavares is a better player in pretty much every area save for skating. Hell even this year he outproduced Seguin despite Seguin having far superior linemates. Rarely do you get a winger combo better than Radulov and Benn.

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
Pretty close, on paper they are very similar.

I'd go with Tavares though on account of him doing basically the same as Seguin, but with less talent around him.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Seguin played with Benn, Radulov, and Klingberg and had 6 less points. What am I missing?
This is what I always come back to as well. The people who pick Seguin don't really have a great reason besides him being a flashier player. I mean the numbers certainly don't support him in any way whether it's points or possession.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Tavares is better.

Seguin's linemates are far superior to anything Tavares has had to work with. Don't get me wrong, Seguin isn't carried by his line but there's a clear benefit to playing with world-class wingers.

Even with this advantage, Seguin put up fewer points.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
tenor.gif

Tavares

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Well, if his production does indeed stay the same or even falter, it could possibly be he's simply not the player he once was at ages 21-24 since he hasn't had a top 10 point finish since 2014 or a top 10 goal finish since 2015.

Or it could indicate that the "no linemates" thing was overblown.

I'm just curious to see how much impact it ends up having. I don't personally think linemates has held him back to any noticeable degree, but we'll see if I'm wrong this year. Tavares will have absolutely no excuses now.

Reactions: Sensinitis

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
I'll take Tavares. It's extremely close in the regular season but in the playoffs so far in their careers, Tavares is twice the player that Seguin is.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015

I'm just curious to see how much impact it ends up having. I don't personally think linemates has held him back to any noticeable degree, but we'll see if I'm wrong this year. Tavares will have absolutely no excuses now.
so many factors matthews and tavares will be slitting ice time and #1 matchups.
tavares will get easier matchups and better linemates but reduced icetime so i dont think too much changes tbh but who knows.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Tavares by a hair. Slightly more complete player and a better playoff performer.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I think Seguin has actually become the better all around player. Dallas fans who watched him this year definitely know this.

..and overall still hasn't done what JT has done, except for 5 seasons ago.
JT is looking like the better playmaker. Can't go wrong with either.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Seems like a basic pick 'em to me. Seguin's more dangerous off the rush, Tavares is more dangerous off the cycle. Pick whatever you prefer.

Saidin

Mar 18, 2015
One again, not putting in a 'Too close to call' option stops me from voting.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016

Not ruling out that possibility, but he was 16th in points for the last 2 of the 3 years despite having the same caliber of linemates. But players could always have comeback seasons. We'll see

Last edited:

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa

I’m willing to bet it was overblown. Tavares didn’t play with scrubs.

I’d be genuinely surprised if Tavares scores more than 90 points. I expect him around 80-85.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I’m willing to bet it was overblown. Tavares didn’t play with scrubs.

I’d be genuinely surprised if Tavares scores more than 90 points. I expect him around 80-85.

I expect him to produce roughly what he did with the Islanders, give or take 5 or 6 points either direction. It just seems like some (emphasis on some) believe that the only thing holding him back from being a perennial Art Ross challenger is sub-par linemates in New York.

IMO, that's been my issue with the Tavares hype all along. This belief that he's somehow a 100 point guy being held back by substandard linemates, rather than accepting he's a point per game guy who can maybe reach high 80s/low 90s in points in a career year.

I also think that what is ignored is chemistry. There's a reason he clicked with Lee and Bailey, but not Eberle, even though Eberle is actually more talented than either Lee or Bailey. There's a reason that he clicked with Moulson, but not Okposo even though Okposo is a better player than Moulson.

This season, we'll see how much my theory is correct or not. If he somehow meshes with Marner to the tune of his first ever 100 point season, then hey, maybe there's something to the whole "he had bad linemates" thing and him being held back. But if he produces roughly what he's done his entire career? Maybe, just maybe, it's time to admit that's the type of player he is, and it's not always about his linemates.

Mar 26, 2010
I'm interested to see how Tavares does now that he doesn't have any excuses about linemates.
Excuses? He was over a PPG last season again... 84 points. What excuse did he say? I guess he should score around 120 points this season playing with Marner then right.

Mar 26, 2010
Both Tavares and Seguin are top 10 C's in the NHL. Pick your poison. It will be interesting to see how this Seguin contract goes. If he somehow gets to UFA status, it will be another frenzy like it was with Tavares this summer.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Excuses? He was over a PPG last season again... 84 points. What excuse did he say? I guess he should score around 120 points this season playing with Marner then right.

I didn't mean he (Tavares) made excuses, I meant fans are making excuses for his production not being better due to his linemates in New York.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad