Tavares vs Karlsson (San Jose)

Who is/would have been the better add?

• Total voters

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Not at all. It would have been a risk worth taking, and when you consider what they gave up, I think it’s a much lower risk than it could have been.
I agree that the players the Sharks gave up isn't a big loss, although when you factor in giving up at least 2 1st round picks those could be valuable in the future.

Also you think that when a player like Karlsson gets traded the team getting him in return and in the case it's San Jose would only trade for him with the guarantee he signs an extension. Maybe Doug Wilson has an 8 year extension ready for him to sign when he's ready so it could all be a moot point. Although look at how Vegas signed Max Pacioretty to that contract extension which was the only reason they agreed to trade for him.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Uhhh a top 3 player vs 20ish player?

Who on Earth would choose tavares? (Aside from delusional leafs fans)

Karlsson is better offensively and defensively.

A signed Tavares with no assets lost is worth more than a 1 year rental that cost multiple players and a 1st imo. I think Tavares was a perfect fit for San Jose. Karlsson fits on any team. If he resigns, then We have to see how things play out.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
This is only Tavares if they can’t keep Karlsson long term

A signed Tavares with no assets lost is worth more than a 1 year rental that cost multiple players and a 1st imo. I think Tavares was a perfect fit for San Jose. Karlsson fits on any team. If he resigns, then We have to see how things play out.

The cost that San Jose paid for Karlsson is honestly hardly relevant in this case.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
This is only Tavares if they can’t keep Karlsson long term

The cost that San Jose paid for Karlsson is honestly hardly relevant in this case.

The cost isn't relevent, I think hes just pointing out that people arguing Tavares in this because Sjs targeted him before Karlsson is a terrible argument because signing players costs 0 assets compared to trading for one

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
If/when there's a poll, I'll vote for Tavares, but a lot of it has to do with Karlsson's recent durability issues and the fact he played pretty awfully last season, so I can't help but be worried about him regressing going forward. If he can show that last year was just a bad outlier, I'd vote for him in a future poll over almost anybody. Karlsson at 100% might be the best player in the league.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Would you not agree that San Jose at least valued Tavares more than Joe Thornton at the time? Using my logic if Tavares signs with them I don't see Thornton getting re-signed since both play Centre and Tavares is 11 years younger. Plus they only re-signed Thornton the day after Tavares signed in Toronto so he was their second choice.
Or maybe neither party wanted to sign until SJ found out if Tavares was coming to SJ. Joe is a huge team player and I think he would have taken a discount to make it work. But why do that if you don't need the cap space?

SJ reportedly tried hard to get Karlsson at the TDL. If they'd have gotten Karlsson, it would have been harder to make the cap work for Tavares. IMO (and it's a guess), they'd prefer the bird in the hand (whichever bird that was) in this situation bc neither Tavares nor Karlsson was a slam dunk. If they could get Karlsson first, they'd do it. If they could get Tavares first, they'd do it. I would have been ecstatic about either. The only time you'd know which one they really preferred is if they were both available at the same time, e.g, if both were free agents on July 1st.

I'm not sure about the question in the OP. Is this do I prefer Tavares for 7 years @ 11M vs Karlsson for one year @ 6.5 and assume we don't re-sign him, is it do I prefer Tavares @ 7 x 13M (the rumored Sharks offer) vs Karlsson at 1 x 6.5 + 8 x 13 (assuming that we can re-sign him for 13) or what?

PinkFly

Oct 30, 2017
Tavares because Karlsson was the backup option if they missed out on Tavares (which they did).

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
a top 3 D-man vs a top 10 center, this isn't that hard

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I'll go with Karlsson because the return was complete Garbage, sorry Sens fans lol.

In saying that, if Ottawa actually got back legit pieces, it may be better than San Jose got Tavares locked up 7 years, over Karlsson potentially walking after this year and taking huge chunks of your organization.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Karlsson is the much better hockey player.

Lol, no man.

Karlsson is a better hockey player, I don't doubt that(even though he wasn't last year).

But even a Norris winning dman like himself isn't on a different tier than a franchise center like Tavares.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
I'll go with Karlsson because the return was complete Garbage, sorry Sens fans lol.

In saying that, if Ottawa actually got back legit pieces, it may be better than San Jose got Tavares locked up 7 years, over Karlsson potentially walking after this year and taking huge chunks of your organization.

If we can't re-sign Karlsson, I'd have preferred Tavares for 7 years even with the great deal we got in the Karlsson trade.

I think we have a good shot at it but no guarantees.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Lol, no man.

Karlsson is a better hockey player, I don't doubt that(even though he wasn't last year).

But even a Norris winning dman like himself isn't on a different tier than a franchise center like Tavares.

Except Karlsson is on another tier than John Tavares, who isn’t even remotely close to the top 3 of his given position.

Reactions: JFG

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Lol, no man.

If arguably the best defenseman of this generation isn't on a different tier than a guy who has zero individual awards and has finished top 5 in scoring once in his entire career, I don't know why we even bother with tiers.

Reactions: JFG and CrypTic

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Obviously that was true since they reportedly offered him 7 years at $91 million which would have been a #13 million AAV. So no one can dispute that for a short period of time that Tavares was the Sharks #1 priority to sign instead of trying to trade for Karlsson.

It's a lot easier to sign a guy without giving up anything than it is to trade for a guy and give up lots of things.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Importance of position plays a massive factor here.

San Jose has 39 year old Thornton and Couture for their top 2 centers. That's not that great. Center is by far the most important position in hockey. No team wins without elite centers.

For these reasons, I'm picking Tavares.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Importance of position plays a massive factor here.

no it doesnt lol.

You have Matthews and can add McDavid or Drew Doughty. Do you add Doughty because you already have a number 1 C? No that would be stupid. You add the best player.

Karlsson is a better hockey player by far. You add the best.

Reactions: JFG

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
no it doesnt lol.

You have Matthews and can add McDavid or Drew Doughty. Do you add Doughty because you already have a number 1 C? No that would be stupid. You add the best player.

Karlsson is a better hockey player by far. You add the best.
Well that's just a nonsense example.

McDavid is obviously better than Drew Doughty overall as a player. If I had McDavid and I was to pick between Kopitar and Doughty however, I think Kopitar would be the correct choice. Pittsburgh's Crosby/Malkin duo has won them 3 cups and Washington finally got theirs thanks to the two elite #1C methodology of building team.

Tavares would make San Jose better, I think it's pretty clear that he fits the team better than Karlsson.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Well that's just a nonsense example.

McDavid is obviously better than Drew Doughty overall as a player. If I had McDavid and I was to pick between Kopitar and Doughty however, I think Kopitar would be the correct choice. Pittsburgh's Crosby/Malkin duo has won them 3 cups and Washington finally got theirs thanks to the two elite #1C methodology of building team.

Tavares would make San Jose better, I think it's pretty clear that he fits the team better than Karlsson.
Karlsson is obviously better than Tavares overall as a player.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Karlsson is obviously better than Tavares overall as a player.
That's not what I'm arguing. I'm arguing about simple team composition just like the OP is asking. Sharks already had a great blueline before Karlsson, a center is what they need. Karlsson was obviously plan B and Tavares was plan A seeing as they put 13 million per year on the table to sign him. None of this is even up for debate.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
That's not what I'm arguing. I'm arguing about simple team composition just like the OP is asking. Sharks already had a great blueline before Karlsson, a center is what they need. Karlsson was obviously plan B and Tavares was plan A seeing as they put 13 million per year on the table to sign him. None of this is even up for debate.

You just said you add McDavid because hes better than Doughty.

But you don't add Karlsson even though hes better than Tavares?

your logic is all over the place. are you a leafs fan?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad