Injury Report: Tavares (Torn MCL, Meniscus) ***Out For Season, NO Surgery Needed***

michaelrc51

Jul 6, 2011
Should not affect it all, by June at the latest he can resume his normal routine in the dungeon. Just from reading, the MCL tear was not fully torn (close), the meniscus tear was small enough where a procedure was not needed.

I don't get this.....A meniscus tear doesn't fix itself. A tear doesn't heal. Once it is torn it stays torn and it will increase upon another traumatic event to the knee. Surgery helps keep it from tearing more and then eventually having a bigger piece taken out. Even the few areas of the Meniscus that have a good enough blood supply to heal have to be stapled in order to fuse back together.

I am sure JT has some of the best surgeons looking at his knee and advising him on how to proceed but hearing this statement makes me wonder.
In the end it is his knee and my guess would be that it is very small and JT doesn't want to go under the knife for whatever reason.

When you tear a ligament and/or meniscus the knee will swell and cause lots of pain. It will take a few weeks then the swelling and pain will subside, but the injury will still be there.

In a few weeks JT will be walking around fine and have little to no pain but it will take a few months for the MCL to fully recover but the meniscus tear will not heal by itself....

Atleast it was a partial tear.....

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
I tore my meniscus once, got a minor surgery, did a couple of months of PT and was as good as new (if not stronger than pre-injury).

michaelrc51

Jul 6, 2011
I tore my meniscus once, got a minor surgery, did a couple of months of PT and was as good as new (if not stronger than pre-injury).

Yeah, I am sure you an Arthroscopic Meniscectomy. This is the most common surgery and recovery is very fast, generally a few weeks and you are as good as new. The surgeon removes some of the meniscus so the tear won't become larger and require a bigger piece to be removed. There are different types of tears and different sizes which all affect the surgical repair route and recovery.

They aren't all this simple and quick to recover from but the majority of the time this is all that needs to be done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad