Confirmed with Link: Tavares to Toronto (7 years, $11M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
You're just getting the feels now? As soon as I read he was signing on Twitter I yelled drop the puck! My friends looked at me funny.
But the best part was one of my friends there is a long time wings fan. He hated we got Babcock and then when I told him Tavares signed here his face went sour, but since I'm such a good friend I consoled him by informing him that the wings signed Vanek! :biglaugh:
I'm not sure we are still friends after that which has me perplexed :huh:
I got the feels as soon as i saw JT post that beautiful picture of him decked out in all things Maple Leafs. I feel like i'm still in a dream! Just like JT i don't think it'll feel real until we see him suit up against the Habs on opening night!

Reactions: saltming

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
You're just getting the feels now? As soon as I read he was signing on Twitter I yelled drop the puck! My friends looked at me funny.
But the best part was one of my friends there is a long time wings fan. He hated we got Babcock and then when I told him Tavares signed here his face went sour, but since I'm such a good friend I consoled him by informing him that the wings signed Vanek! :biglaugh:
I'm not sure we are still friends after that which has me perplexed :huh:
Something to look forward to but never wish the summer away.

I was at a pool party that afternoon after golf and was able to inform a few Wing fans that they signed Bernier!!! We all laughed then together made fun of the only Hab fan there.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I got the feels as soon as i saw JT post that beautiful picture of him decked out in all things Maple Leafs. I feel like i'm still in a dream! Just like JT i don't think it'll feel real until we see him suit up against the Habs on opening night!
I cant wait to see him line up at centre ice. I get chills at the though.

Also an overlooked aspect of the signing is he always has great games against us so that will never happen again.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Something to look forward to but never wish the summer away.

I was at a pool party that afternoon after golf and was able to inform a few Wing fans that they signed Bernier!!! We all laughed then together made fun of the only Hab fan there.
I told him about Bernier too but the Vanek signing really go his goat.
My sole Habs friend was not around but since the subban trade he avoids me like the plague :laugh: I think he won't talk to me until they replace Bergie

Reactions: ACC1224

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I cant wait to see him line up at centre ice. I get chills at the though.

Also an overlooked aspect of the signing is he always has great games against us so that will never happen again.
Yup, he always puts on a show when he visits Toronto. Even his goal celebrations are a little pumped up when he scores in Toronto. I feel he will thrive in this environment, especially with our young core. I see him elevating himself into another gear we haven't yet seen. The rest of the league will stand witness!

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
This team is going to be so damn fun to watch for the next decade. We could be witnessing the start of a dynasty here, and people are squabbling over whether Dubas or the roster played a bigger part.
There are always shit disturbers ready to move the goal posts. Even when this team wins a Cup I guarantee there will be people saying 'Lol just 1 in 50+ years relax guys'

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Yup, he always puts on a show when he visits Toronto. Even his goal celebrations are a little pumped up when he scores in Toronto. I feel he will thrive in this environment, especially with our young core. I see him elevating himself into another gear we haven't yet seen. The rest of the league will stand witness!
Agreed! You dream of this as a kid now it's real but you are not a kid. You're stepping in with get savvy and knowledge. His drive will be epic!
Imo the only shock for him will be playing with such talent.
If he plays with Marner they should be called the dream team since they both grew up dreaming of playing here

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Agreed! You dream of this as a kid now it's real but you are not a kid. You're stepping in with get savvy and knowledge. His drive will be epic!
Imo the only shock for him will be playing with such talent.
If he plays with Marner they should be called the dream team since they both grew up dreaming of playing here

That's a pretty decent nickname. It's rumoured he'll play with Hyms & Marner (both from Toronto)..we'll finally have a full line with TWO superstars and Hyman all from Toronto. That's spectacular!

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
That's a pretty decent nickname. It's rumoured he'll play with Hyms & Marner (both from Toronto)..we'll finally have a full line with TWO superstars and Hyman all from Toronto. That's spectacular!
Oh ya. Also Hyman requested to be traded here. Also dreamt of wearing the blue and white!
That line will be so nasty.
The only thing nastier is the fact that they will be followed by
Marleau Matthew Nylander
Johnsson/Brown Kadri Kapanen/Brown

:eek::eek::eek:

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Oh ya. Also Hyman requested to be traded here. Also dreamt of wearing the blue and white!
Marleau Matthew Nylander

Seriously, our Top 9 is drool worthy. I can't get enough.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
Yep, many things went into his decison, it certainly wasn't based on watching a video. :laugh:

Obviously not. I don't know if this is supposed to mean Dubas didn't convince him to come, or not, but I think it's pretty foolish and ignorant to think that Kyle didn't have anything to do with it, and it was 100% a sure thing that JT was coming here. If it was as sure a thing that he was coming here as people think, the decision would have been made well before Saturday night, and we wouldn't have been trying to temper expectations, even into Sunday after noon hit.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Seriously, our Top 9 is drool worthy. I can't get enough.
I think deep down even our most hated rivals are doing this when they see our line up:
IdioticVengefulCondor-size_restricted.gif

Tavares to Marner

Dec 20, 2011
Hamilton
Marleau Matthew Nylander

did hyman actually request Toronto?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
did hyman actually request Toronto?
Yes but I don't know if if that was public. A friend of mine still has some hockey ties and he was at the rink when Hyman was skating here about a week before the trade. He told me of it and I was like, "who man?" Haha
But ya he asked FLA to send him here as that was the only trade he would accept or he would go to FA. According to my friend

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Dubas had nothing to do with assembling the players on the ice. That's just a fact. The players on the ice are what enticed JT. Lou had a larger hand in that. As did Shanny and Babs.
I'm done with you trying to douse the positive vibes in this thread and my buzz about the JT signing with your long-winded novels. Welcome to the ignore list.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Yes but I don't know if if that was public. A friend of mine still has some hockey ties and he was at the rink when Hyman was skating here about a week before the trade. He told me of it and I was like, "who man?" Haha
But ya he asked FLA to send him here as that was the only trade he would accept or he would go to FA. According to my friend
Request a trade to Toronto, play with Matthews. What could be better?
Oh yeah, maybe Tavares/Marner.
Smart choice.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Obviously not. I don't know if this is supposed to mean Dubas didn't convince him to come, or not, but I think it's pretty foolish and ignorant to think that Kyle didn't have anything to do with it, and it was 100% a sure thing that JT was coming here. If it was as sure a thing that he was coming here as people think, the decision would have been made well before Saturday night, and we wouldn't have been trying to temper expectations, even into Sunday after noon hit.
Nope it wasn't a sure thing and certainly Dubas had an impact on the outcome, I'm sure there are others as well.
I also believe the outcome would most likely have been the same had Dubas not had been named GM yet.
IMO, Shanahan and Babcok also hand big hands in this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad