Confirmed with Link: Tavares to Toronto (7 years, $11M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
just because i'm not part of the circle jerk homer club doesn't mean i'm wrong or can never admit i'm wrong
Lol you can't even respond without calling others who don't share your views the 'circle jerk homer club'.
and just because i believe the main reason JT came here was our great young core which as Tavares said himself was a/the key reason and not to play for Dubas' doesn't make me a hater lol
Nobody is saying that Dubas was the sole reason or the biggest reason, just that he did play an important part. You keep taking people's words and twisting them to make it sound like people are saying that Dubas was the biggest reason why JT signed here which nobody is saying. Nobody is arguing against the major factors of why JT signed here, they are simply giving Dubas credit for having a big impact (and if you're going to say "JT said this" in your argument then you should recognize that JT also mentioned Dubas and his presentation and vision as well) and doing something no other GM has done before.

Last edited:

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Lou certainly deserves some credit for changing the culture and some of the players, no doubt about it. But he also made some glaring mistakes with vets. In regards to the second bolded phrase, you can't say without a doubt Dubas had no part in that. The Leafs have a large front office and they all work collaboratively. Just because Dubas wasn't front and centre during the past few years doesn't mean he wasn't providing insight or ideas into how the Leafs should be constructed. Sure, we'll probably never know what deals he had an impact on while Lou was here but to say he had no part in any of that is quite the reach.

Dubas had nothing to do with assembling the players on the ice. That's just a fact. The players on the ice are what enticed JT. Lou had a larger hand in that. As did Shanny and Babs.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Dubas had nothing to do with assembling the players on the ice. That's just a fact. The players on the ice are what enticed JT. Lou had a larger hand in that. As did Shanny and Babs.
Dubas did build and manage the Marlies championship team though, which was something Tavares brought up as well :teach: Along with managing the development pipeline down to the ECHL.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Again you're making the wild assumption that this was Dubas v Lou on an even playing field.
Hockey players, especially superstars, love comfort and don't like making big changes, and are also loyal to a fault. Superstars rarely ever leave the teams that drafted them unless they are traded or bought out. That alone was a huge advantage for NYI, Tavares had played 9 seasons there. Lou also had the 8th year, which nobody else could offer. It's not like he had nothing at all to work with.

And JT even said in April when the team had missed the playoffs that he still hoped things would work out with NYI.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Next up to come home is McDavid..to infuriate Oilers fans of course.

Everyone across the site used to bash Leafs fans for us believing home town stars would come back home when our team was respectable again. Look at them now, hiding away nowhere to be seen or heard from.

Oilers, your star centre is next.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Lou has lost Dehann and Tavares and added Leo at 4 years, 3 million per and Martin at 2.5 per for the next 2 years since last Sunday. He has been an absolute disaster.
Just imagine this board if that was the result in Toronto.
And lou's comunication skills are so poor, no way he puts on a presentation like Dubas for Tavares. Tavares put a lot into it and consulted a lot of peopel.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Next up to come home is McDavid..to infuriate Oilers fans of course.

Everyone across the site used to bash Leafs fans for us believing home town stars would come back home when our team was respectable again. Look at them now, hiding away nowhere to be seen or heard from.

Oilers, your star centre is next.

We are 2 for 3. Not bad. We got Babs and Tavares. Even Stamkos only met with the Leafs and no one else.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
How the hell is there even a debate about "WHY" Tavares came home? The roster, Babcock, the management and their vision, the history of the team, the city being home, the facilities, etc...

At the end of the day, all of it played into his decision. Does it matter how much each aspect played into it, individually? John Tavares is a TORONTO MAPLE LEAF. As is Auston Matthews. And Mitch Marner. And William Nylander. And Morgan Rielly. And Nazem Kadri.

This team is going to be so damn fun to watch for the next decade. We could be witnessing the start of a dynasty here, and people are squabbling over whether Dubas or the roster played a bigger part. :shakehead

Reactions: supermann_98

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I am still trying to figure out why everyone said the Leafs have no chance at Taavares?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
How the hell is there even a debate about "WHY" Tavares came home? The roster, Babcock, the management and their vision, the history of the team, the city being home, the facilities, etc...

At the end of the day, all of it played into his decision. Does it matter how much each aspect played into it, individually? John Tavares is a TORONTO MAPLE LEAF. As is Auston Matthews. And Mitch Marner. And William Nylander. And Morgan Rielly. And Nazem Kadri.

This team is going to be so damn fun to watch for the next decade. We could be witnessing the start of a dynasty here, and people are squabbling over whether Dubas or the roster played a bigger part. :shakehead
Yep, many things went into his decison, it certainly wasn't based on watching a video. :laugh:

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Yep, many things went into his decison, it certainly wasn't based on watching a video. :laugh:
I hear people act like this was a slam dunk for Dubas. where were these thoughts last week? I was the loudest person on here saying these 90%+ locks for Tavares to Islanders were stupid.
Islanders and Sharks! That's all I heard.
It suddebly becomes a slam dunk to avoid given the Gm credit.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I'm already getting the feels Gary! October can't come soon enough but i'm just enjoying everyday. It's officially been 5 days he's been a Leaf. I don't think i'll ever get tired of counting the days :naughty:
You're just getting the feels now? As soon as I read he was signing on Twitter I yelled drop the puck! My friends looked at me funny.
But the best part was one of my friends there is a long time wings fan. He hated we got Babcock and then when I told him Tavares signed here his face went sour, but since I'm such a good friend I consoled him by informing him that the wings signed Vanek! :biglaugh:
I'm not sure we are still friends after that which has me perplexed :huh:

Reactions: MattySnipes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad