Confirmed with Link: Tavares to Toronto (7 years, $11M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Nobody is saying that Dubas was the sole reason or the biggest reason, just that he did play an important part. You keep taking people's words and twisting them to make it sound like people are saying that Dubas was the biggest reason why JT signed here which nobody is saying. Nobody is arguing against the major factors of why JT signed here, they are simply giving Dubas credit for having a big impact (and if you're going to say "JT said this" in your argument then you should recognize that JT also mentioned Dubas and his presentation and vision as well) and doing something no other GM has done before.

another person trying to suck and blow , lol

so you're saying Dubas wasn't the "sole or biggest reason" you're just saying he played an "important role" and had a "major impact"

and how about Shanny and the you know the guy who he'll be dealing with the most which is Babcock his coach who he's played for with Team Canada , how come i barely here anyone giving them much credit ?

also what did he do that no other GM has done before ?

it's also funny that you accuse me of twisting words when i never said he and the rest of the group representing the Leafs had no importance in JT signing here , i merely keep repeating that the biggest reason(s) JT signed here was because of the young core we have and because of there age it gave JT the longest window to win

hell , the only reason we were even given an opportunity to make a pitch was because of our young core

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
You said Dubas would cost the Leafs getting Tavares.

Pretty sure I said may. Given what we know about JTs desire to play here all along, it would have been an epic failure of Dubas couldn't close the deal. But he did, so I give him the amount of credit I feel he deserves based on the limited role he played in the decision. I don't see how that's a bad thing.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
JT left primarily for two reasons - 1. Arena Uncertainty 2. Teams chances of winning.

Do you think Lou with what two weeks on the job could sort out any of those things? Impressively he moved mountains and got the most successful coach of the previous season to sign with them. That's the type of thing a quality GM can do. He can't turn over the team in a matter of days to appease JT and he certainly can't build an arena in time for opening night.
Let's be clear here: Trotz wanted to get a huge payday. That's why he left Washington. The Islanders were his only choice for that big contract. It was not that hard to sign him.
If you want to give excuses why it's not too hard to sign JT well anyone can do that with Trotz given he very clearly went for the money.
JT did not, unlike Trotz go for the biggest payday. He took millions less to sign in Toronto.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Let's be clear here: Trotz wanted to get a huge payday. That's why he left Washington. The Islanders were his only choice for that big contract. It was not that hard to sign him.
If you want to give excuses why it's not too hard to sign JT well anyone can do that with Trotz given he very clearly went for the money.
JT did not, unlike Trotz go for the biggest payday. He took millions less to sign in Toronto.

Of course money was a huge factor, but he would have got paid anywhere. He clearly believes in Lou's ability to build a winner.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Of course money was a huge factor, but he would have got paid anywhere. He clearly believes in Lou's ability to build a winner.
Not every team can afford that contract for a coach and there were no other openings.
This was the most obvious "Go Anywhere for Massive Contract" I have ever seen from a coach.
Lou wanted him for the draft. He had to say yes without knowing when he'd get offered a deal like taht.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Islanders media have been rampant since JT left indicating he took the easy way out to win a championship by going to a contending team.

well to be fair. my argument has always been the "be the change you wanna see in the team."
in Tavares's case he had. for NINE YEARS. and the dude would have had to spend 3 more years without a home arena.

Reactions: MattySnipes

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Pretty sure I said may. Given what we know about JTs desire to play here all along, it would have been an epic failure of Dubas couldn't close the deal. But he did, so I give him the amount of credit I feel he deserves based on the limited role he played in the decision. I don't see how that's a bad thing.

damn, hopefully dubas can sleep at night with your limited appreciation for his work. Reading your old posts is laugh out loud embarrassing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: weems and saltming

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
When we drafted Matthews it was a franchise altering event, with Tavares though it takes it to an entirely new level. Him signing is a franchise altering event in the same way a guy like Chara was for the Bruins when he joined them in for the 2006-07 season leading them to an eventual cup in 2011 and consistent contending for a solid decade since his arrival.

Leafs should be all in to win the cup as soon as next season, our offence looks like something you'd see in a video game never mind real life. The defence could use work but I do believe it is not only capable of winning a round...I mean c'mon we had a lead in the 3rd period of game 7 with the Bruins who pretty much every agrees were legit contenders for the cup this past playoffs.

If the Leafs are going to make a deep run to the conference finals and final and win a cup our offence will need to remain potent and on all cylinders from the start of the playoffs to the end, Freddy will have to hold strong and the defence will have to play just okay, that would be enough with this roster.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Not every team can afford that contract for a coach and there were no other openings.
This was the most obvious "Go Anywhere for Massive Contract" I have ever seen from a coach.
Lou wanted him for the draft. He had to say yes without knowing when he'd get offered a deal like taht.

Makes no sense. Trotz didn't have to sign immediately with a team. You don't think a coach will get fired in the next 12 months? He would have got paid by someone. You're just trying to downplay Lou's accomplishment because it fits your narrative.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Makes no sense. Trotz didn't have to sign immediately with a team. You don't think a coach will get fired in the next 12 months? He would have got paid by someone. You're just trying to downplay Lou's accomplishment because it fits your narrative.
It makes perfect sense. He wasn't going to walk away from 20 million with no assurances he would get that offer again or when.
Of course he'd get hired again. Many organizations won't pay that for a coach. His salary is not the norm at all. You think low budget teams can afford that? Washington just won a cup, is not poor and scoffed at the price.
If you want to play the game Tavares would have signed in Toronto with anyone, I can turn around and point out how it was a slam dunk to get Trotz. Trotz wanted lots of cash. He went to a very bad team for it as well.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
People are going to use the fact that Tavares came home to say Seguin will come home and it will be a nightmare on the main boards.

I can't wait.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...tavares-as-well.2505921/page-8#post-147116377

You were giving Lou credit when sources said that Isles had good news on the Tavares situation. "Amazing what an experienced GM can accomplish in a short period of time."

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...ed-free-agency.2500129/page-58#post-147125915

"Well looks like the impact of selecting Dubas over Lou will cost us Hunter and a good shot at Tavares.

Shows the value of an experienced GM with a strong reputation. Hopefully Dubas has some tricks up his sleeve to counter."

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...ed-free-agency.2500129/page-59#post-147127425
"I don't doubt he'll listen to offers at this point since he's waited this long. But Lou's presence seems to have gives the isles a seat at the table whereas a month ago they were goners"

You even admit that the most likely scenario was JT going to the Isles.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...ed-free-agency.2500129/page-62#post-147138303
"If he comes here that would be great. Well depending on salary of course. I'm just presenting a scenario that seems most likely right now. Could change at any moment."

Did your "sources" who knew what was happening when the season ended tell you he was signing with the Isles? You need to get new sources if they made you believe the entire choice was done a long time ago.

Youre too condescending to be taken seriously. Plus your name is correct but being cynical about everythign was 2012. Youre just gonna die young with that attitude
I don't think he's young anymore.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Anyone who says that is not aware there is a salary cap.
Ya that is most likely true but it will still happen. People will say crazy shit and now they have evidence and it will cause other posters to say even more outlandish shit.

The trolls just got ammo lol

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
so no credit to the guy who actually signed Tavares, but credit to the guy who did not...
Islanders could always offer 8 years and were seen as a heavy favourite to sign Tavares before Lou came aboard. so why give him credit?

The amount of spin, going on this thread is beyond comical.

Not a coincidence that the most vocal dubas critics are going above and beyond to the most absurdist and nonsensical lengths to discredit his role in this.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...tavares-as-well.2505921/page-8#post-147116377

You were giving Lou credit when sources said that Isles had good news on the Tavares situation. "Amazing what an experienced GM can accomplish in a short period of time."

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...ed-free-agency.2500129/page-58#post-147125915

"Well looks like the impact of selecting Dubas over Lou will cost us Hunter and a good shot at Tavares.

Shows the value of an experienced GM with a strong reputation. Hopefully Dubas has some tricks up his sleeve to counter."

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...ed-free-agency.2500129/page-59#post-147127425
"I don't doubt he'll listen to offers at this point since he's waited this long. But Lou's presence seems to have gives the isles a seat at the table whereas a month ago they were goners"

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...ed-free-agency.2500129/page-62#post-147138303
"If he comes here that would be great. Well depending on salary of course. I'm just presenting a scenario that seems most likely right now. Could change at any moment."

Did your "sources" who knew what was happening when the season ended tell you he was signing with the Isles? You need to get new sources if they made you believe the entire choice was done a long time ago.

Damn, just got eaten up with proof lmao.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
It's not a big deal to be wrong.
NHL teams always favoured Dubas over Hunter. There was no question in taht.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009

I had heard Isles vs Leafs well over a month ago. I heard leaning Leafs then went to more 50-50 after Lou was hired. So when I posted that it was looking like things were talking against us.

Let me put it this way. I think it would have been more of a slam dunk if Lou wasnt in Long Island. But obviously that's just my opinion. I don't have a quote from JT to back that up. But it falls in line with what I was hearing and ended up happening.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I had heard Isles vs Leafs well over a month ago. I heard leaning Leafs then went to more 50-50 after Lou was hired. So when I posted that it was looking like things were talking against us.

Let me put it this way. I think it would have been more of a slam dunk if Lou wasnt in Long Island. But obviously that's just my opinion. I don't have a quote from JT to back that up. But it falls in line with what I was hearing and ended up happening.

Your sources aren't that good it appears.
Maybe it's like that GM that bet his house Lou would offer sheet Leaf players a few hours before the Martin trade.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Overhearing random people on the subway isn’t really much of a legitimate source, likely best not to insinuate one has insider connections,when clearly the opposite seems to be true

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad