Proposal: Tavares to the Sabres (Summer)

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I'm sure there are some pics of him celebrating his uncle's championship wins too. But given his cost and how his play has eroded, not particularly interested from a Sabre POV. If he gets to ride off into the sunset on another, more affordable deal that allows the Leafs to shuffle cap into other areas of need and keeps him with his favorite team, good on him.
I've got now weight in this but I can't see any team wanting an $11m cap hit that isn't McDavid (or similar) attached to it. It would benefit the Leafs immensely to get rid of his cap hit while not getting back anything remotely close in terms of a cap dump. People also need to take into consideration that Mr. Dry Personality granola won't waive to leave for anywhere honestly. He's going to be wearing that Leaf until he retires. If a trade was to happen, Skinner would have to be going up to Toronto in return (for cap purposes) with $2m less AAV but more term so it wouldn't even benefit Toronto to make the move.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I've got now weight in this but I can't see any team wanting an $11m cap hit that isn't McDavid (or similar) attached to it. It would benefit the Leafs immensely to get rid of his cap hit while not getting back anything remotely close in terms of a cap dump. People also need to take into consideration that Mr. Dry Personality granola won't waive to leave for anywhere honestly. He's going to be wearing that Leaf until he retires. If a trade was to happen, Skinner would have to be going up to Toronto in return (for cap purposes) with $2m less AAV but more term so it wouldn't even benefit Toronto to make the move.

Nor can I. He's their weight to bear.

Reactions: miscs75

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
-he's not the 2nd line center

-doubt the team wants him back considering they kicked off the first pp and off the 2nd line , he van keep up now never mind by the end of his deal next year

-why would we give the dim witted idiot a job after retirement ? he's nothing for the team and we don't owe him a damn thing
I guess you and I just have a different opinion on how good Tavares still is.

Reactions: Sniper99

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Tavares is the Captain, lives in Toronto with his family, and has a NMC. He's not waiving, so all this is a moot point. I do think we're at the point where any additional time in Toronto has to come on year-to-year Spezza-esque deals, with Robidas Island an awkward, albeit possible, option if he falls back further next year.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Tavares has one year left and a NMC.

Just ride it out. He'll be an expensive depth player but I bet he will be a clutch veteran when the games matter more

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Call me crazy, but I could see Buffalo doing it.

After July 1, he's owed less than $1m in cash.

Yes, the cap hit is huge, but they're not a cap team anyways. Obviously, the desire would be to do a Skinner-Tavares swap; but I don't think the Leafs would have any interest in extending the problem.

However, if the Sabres can extract something lesser of value out of Toronto, why not?? Retain 75% at the deadline and there will be a long list of teams lining up for JT's services.

That being said, I HIGHLY doubt that Tavares is interested in participating in that, and he of course holds the cards with a full NMC.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
JT's cap hit is 11m but his actually salary will be less than a 1m after his bonus is paid this summer .

the Leafs need to sit him down after the season and explain he won't be offered an extension so either he waives or he'll finish his career as a depth winger without pp time

a team like the Yotes would love to have a 11m cap hit and less than 1m salary since they have a large number of ltir contracts coming off the books

hey maybe we can sell the idiot the Hawks want him to mentor Bedard

i'll also add i don't want expect anything in return , future considerations is more than enough
Mentor Bedard? At what? How to be a 3rd liner? LOL, no thank you. He’s toast.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Call me crazy, but I could see Buffalo doing it.

After July 1, he's owed less than $1m in cash.

Yes, the cap hit is huge, but they're not a cap team anyways. Obviously, the desire would be to do a Skinner-Tavares swap; but I don't think the Leafs would have any interest in extending the problem.

However, if the Sabres can extract something lesser of value out of Toronto, why not?? Retain 75% at the deadline and there will be a long list of teams lining up for JT's services.

That being said, I HIGHLY doubt that Tavares is interested in participating in that, and he of course holds the cards with a full NMC.
Lol, you must not know Buffalo's GM, Kevin Adams. There is a 0% chance he even considers Tavares.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Yes, the cap hit is huge, but they're not a cap team anyways.
Here is the real issue.

Sabres contracts next season:
Dahlin - 11M
Skinner - 9M
Power - 8,3M
Thompson - 7M
Cozens - 7M
Tuch - 5M
Samuelsson - 4M
Byram - 4M
Clifton - 3.3M
Greenway - 3M

Those 10 guys are making around 62M. Add Tavares' 11M and the Sabres would have 14 Million in cap space for 2 goalies, 1 defensmen, and 8 forwards.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
#1 why would he waive to go anywhere? I fully expect him to sign a significantly cheaper extension.

#2 even if he was willing to waive to go somewhere why would he waive for a team that's going to miss the playoffs for the 13th straight year?

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
#1 why would he waive to go anywhere? I fully expect him to sign a significantly cheaper extension.

#2 even if he was willing to waive to go somewhere why would he waive for a team that's going to miss the playoffs for the 13th straight year?
Before that even gets off the ground why would a team pay assets for a guy earning double what he’s worth at this stage? The assets are on the wrong side of this proposal.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Tavares is not likely to waive.

Leafs would need to add at least 2 X 1st to dump his $11M contract for the remaining 1.5 years.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He's not earning double what he's worth.

Tavares is not likely to waive.

Leafs would need to add at least 2 X 1st to dump his $11M contract for the remaining 1.5 years.

1 year, even if they wanted to move him it wouldn't happen until the summer

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
This is a pretty interesting topic though.

Is there a team that will take on only 1 year of Tavares at 11 million.

It can't just be an overwhelming "yes, but with significant retention".

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
This is a pretty interesting topic though.

Is there a team that will take on only 1 year of Tavares at 11 million.

It can't just be an overwhelming "yes, but with significant retention".
No. There is absolutely no NHL team that would take Tavares at $11mm without a big sweetener. This is a fact.

As to your next query. That’s exactly what the answer would be. He’d have modest value at 50% retained ($5.5mm). I could see a team flip you a pick to rent a 2C for that amount for one year. Maybe Boston?

Last edited:

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
You’re a Buffalo fan proposing this?

I highly doubt there is a single TML fan that believes their captain has positive value.

There is a 0.000000% chance any NHL team trades for Taveras at his full AAV and sends only picks or prospects the other way. He’s not even worth a 7th round pick 72 years from today at that AAV.
I hear the 2096 draft is deep.

• Haha
Reactions: McJedi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad