News: Tavares to Explore Market - To Speak with 5 teams: TODAY IS THE DAY (Mod Warning in #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
It won't be hilarious, all you'll see is Error 520 everywhere. We'll be able to discuss it a couple of days later when HF stabilizes.

Brutal but true. It really stinks that we can't use this site when we want to use it the most. It's been like that since I've been around...seems worse since the change though.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Listen...that’s completely irrelevant...no matter where he signs, he is paid on a rate based on USD correct? So if he were to sign with any of those other franchises, that money translates just the same when exchanging it.

So arguing that he’s actually making more because of the exchange rate isn’t applicable. If he signed for the same 11 mil a year in NY then he can go to Toronto if that is truly where he decides to raise his family in spite of playing elsewhere, and the 11 mil exchanges to the CAD rate just the same, he doesn’t need to live in Canada to get that perk if you even want to call it that, he could even do so at a lower taxed rate so no matter how you cut it the base salary will always be higher elsewhere. I can’t imagine the money is the only factor or possibly even the driving one here but the exchange number doesn’t mean anything as it’s universal and not just in Toronto

This makes no sense at all. The reason it is relevant is that Toronto is the only city on that list that uses Canadian currency. Meaning quite simply he can stretch his dollars significantly more due to the exchange rate. Purchasing of real estate or businesses should he choose to do so; he gets way more bang for the buck because he is being paid in US currency. Why is that so hard for some to comprehend?

Bonzo111

Leafs Fan
Oct 31, 2017
Canaderp
This makes no sense at all. The reason it is relevant is that Toronto is the only city on that list that uses Canadian currency. Meaning quite simply he can stretch his dollars significantly more due to the exchange rate. Purchasing of real estate or businesses should he choose to do so; he gets way more bang for the buck because he is being paid in US currency. Why is that so hard for some to comprehend?
I'm not sure but its boggling.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007

You guys understand that its being converted to Canadian based on the exchange rate which is based on the value of the currency, correct? Its a 1 for 1 value. Right now the Canadian dollar is worth less, thats why he would get more of them. It's not actually more value, its the same value, it just takes more pieces of Canadian paper compared to pieces US paper.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
What’s not that big of a difference...my “rant” was pointing out that whatever the translation to CAD that he will get is irrelevant because he can convert his money no matter where he signs into CAD if he wants to... so there’s no argument to be made that once you convert the USD to CAD he’d be making out better in any way.

Unless your post was somehow saying that whatever he is “actually making in Canadian Dollars” makes no difference which if it did I really misread the post

Edit: I’d like to add I’ve seen numerous posts saying “well if Toronto offers him 11 mil it’s actually 14.5 or whatever it is, so he’d actually be making out better after the exchange” your post was just the most recent that seemed to fall in line with that ideaology so i quoted it

Well there is an argument for that actually.

It’s not huge, but I’d say it’s notable.

I live just outside of Toronto and if my employer told me they’re going to start paying me the same salary in USD rather than CAD then I’d be thrilled.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
To add on to the currency debate - now if he took his Canadian currency and put it in a canadian bank, and the value of Canadian to US rose, to lets say a 1 for 1 value, he would then see a gain if he translated back into USD. If there is no translation BACK into USD after an fx gain, then he has not added any value to his salary.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
You guys understand that its being converted to Canadian based on the exchange rate which is based on the value of the currency, correct? Its a 1 for 1 value. Right now the Canadian dollar is worth less, thats why he would get more of them. It's not actually more value, its the same value, it just takes more pieces of Canadian paper compared to pieces US paper.

No this is wrong. If I have 4 American quarters that is worth more than 1 American dollar. 4 > 1. Duh.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Uhhhh, I'm not sure that's how exchange rates work. False numbers, but let's say the exchange rate is 2 USD to 1 CAD. A candy bar in the the US costs 2 USD. The same candy bar in Canada costs 1 CAD. Just because one has a higher number does not mean the value is any different.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

I live just outside of Toronto and if my employer told me they’re going to start paying me the same salary in USD rather than CAD then I’d be thrilled.

Until the dollar went down in value and you got a pay cut for no reason.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
It won't be hilarious, all you'll see is Error 520 everywhere. We'll be able to discuss it a couple of days later when HF stabilizes.

Pretty much. I couldnt comment on the Lightning/Rangers trade until later that night or next day lol.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I’ll never forget when I went to Canada in April of 1998 and I swear I got 1.98 for every American dollar

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Just think if he converted it to Mexican pesos though! He’d be a billionaire!

Reactions: h0ckeyman

Flipwon

Jun 25, 2018

Thrilled to pay the conversion cost every time you want to purchase something?..

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

Sure but that's be a raise effectively. Going from being paid in usd to usd like Tavares is just lateral

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Brooks grew up an Islanders fan and used to be a beat writer for the Isles. I can pretty much guarantee he is not hoping that Tavares leaves. I'm not the biggest fan of his whatsoever, but he has pretty good insight around the league and always says things as he sees them.

This Islanders fan thinks it's a reasonable take. I imagine what NYI have done seems like too little too late for JT. He can, in his mind, want to be convinced. But like anything else, once you've fallen out of love it's so difficult to go back.

As each hour goes by, I become more and more convinced JT is going to leave. Yesterday afternoon I was 60/40 he goes. I'm up to 70/30 he's gone. By bedtime tonight, if there's no news, it's 90/10. If he's taking his time, it's because he's doing his due diligence on his new situation, and he has until Sunday to make that call.

member 157595

I kept seeing that "Error 520" guy come up during the draft. He's so good he has the ability to be drafted by more than one team. #generational

Dr Danglefest

Lindros|Giroux|Krug
May 29, 2010
THE SouthShore, MASS

You guys realize he can exchange any USD that he earns into CAD and make the same investements, that he doesn’t need to be paid by a Canadian team to do that...that is my point, you say is not hard to comprehend...well so do I.

If I make 11 mil USD I make in TOR is worth XX in CAD, when I make the same 11 mil in NY, can’t I go anywhere in Canada and exchange it for the exact same amount of CAD? Or is a USD worth less if it’s earned in US?

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Uhhhh, I'm not sure that's how exchange rates work. False numbers, but let's say the exchange rate is 2 USD to 1 CAD. A candy bar in the the US costs 2 USD. The same candy bar in Canada costs 1 CAD. Just because one has a higher number does not mean the value is any different.
Except the price of goods rarely move as fast as the exchange rate. God damn are people misinformed in this thread..... Just ask folks who live in Canada and get paid in USD how their buying power and savings have improved the last few years.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Sure but that's be a raise effectively. Going from being paid in usd to usd like Tavares is just lateral

Yeah that’s true. Perhaps not necessarily the best comparison.

I’m just enjoying the fact that we are on page 237 and discussing subtle differences in currency between the two countries now and what it might mean for JT

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

I am from Toronto and not advocating for this "it's more because of conversion" argument, however, I feel like I should say prices between US and Canada for goods and services are far from proportional to our exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad