News: Tavares to Explore Market - To Speak with 5 teams: TODAY IS THE DAY (Mod Warning in #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I’m not sure why it would take that long. I can understand nothing goes down today but if he’s coming back to the Isles I would be amazed if it doesn’t happen tomorrow

Because its the deadline and taking all the time you need to make the best decision for yourself is a smart thing to do. Its a big decision. Wouldnt blame him if he took all the necessary time and then took the NYI deal last minute.

Bonzo111

Leafs Fan
Oct 31, 2017
Canaderp
with the isles getting a cup winning coach and GM I gotta things the isles have shown enough to get him to sign on the dotted line.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Because its the deadline and taking all the time you need to make the best decision for yourself is a smart thing to do. Its a big decision. Wouldnt blame him if he took all the necessary time and then took the NYI deal last minute.

Part of it also is that the team management and agents don’t really want to be working on weekends if they don’t have to. ESPECIALLY in a case where they HAVE to be working on Sunday. To me out of courtesy more than anything else if my mind is even 98% made up I’m trying to end this tomorrow

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Part of it also is that the team management and agents don’t really want to be working on weekends if they don’t have to. ESPECIALLY in a case where they HAVE to be working on Sunday. To me out of courtesy more than anything else if my mind is even 98% made up I’m trying to end this tomorrow

This weekend is the opening of UFA, there is no time off this time of year. They can relax later in the summer, Sunday is New Year's Day for the NHL.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
with the isles getting a cup winning coach and GM I gotta things the isles have shown enough to get him to sign on the dotted line.

They are still 2-3 years off even with Tavares. I could see where they make the playoffs this year if they pick up a dman and they get better goaltending but they’re not going to make deep runs for at least that long

Bonzo111

Leafs Fan
Oct 31, 2017
Canaderp
They are still 2-3 years off even with Tavares. I could see where they make the playoffs this year if they pick up a dman and they get better goaltending but they’re not going to make deep runs for at least that long
you never know in this league

Dr Danglefest

Lindros|Giroux|Krug
May 29, 2010
THE SouthShore, MASS
If Tavares signs a deal worth 11M AAV with the Maple Leafs, he actually gets paid $14,500,000 and change, since contracts are based on USD, and Canadian teams need to pay their players in CAD.

Not a huge difference, because the exchange rate is obviously based on "the power of a dollar" but it's interesting nonetheless

Listen...that’s completely irrelevant...no matter where he signs, he is paid on a rate based on USD correct? So if he were to sign with any of those other franchises, that money translates just the same when exchanging it.

So arguing that he’s actually making more because of the exchange rate isn’t applicable. If he signed for the same 11 mil a year in NY then he can go to Toronto if that is truly where he decides to raise his family in spite of playing elsewhere, and the 11 mil exchanges to the CAD rate just the same, he doesn’t need to live in Canada to get that perk if you even want to call it that, he could even do so at a lower taxed rate so no matter how you cut it the base salary will always be higher elsewhere. I can’t imagine the money is the only factor or possibly even the driving one here but the exchange number doesn’t mean anything as it’s universal and not just in Toronto

Bonzo111

Leafs Fan
Oct 31, 2017
Canaderp
not even remotely true, they negotiate his contract once every 6+ years lol, they'll work a weekend lol.

Reactions: MattySnipes

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Gotta love a Rangers beat guy trying to tweak Isles fans

Brooks grew up an Islanders fan and used to be a beat writer for the Isles. I can pretty much guarantee he is not hoping that Tavares leaves. I'm not the biggest fan of his whatsoever, but he has pretty good insight around the league and always says things as he sees them.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Those two are great hires but they're not gonna be on the ice with him. What have they done to address their defense and goalie positions? Snow really messed them up too, with handing out ridiculous contracts to Ladd, Clutterbuck, etc. JT has spent almost a decade there and they haven't done anything for him. He single handedly along with Greiss carried the team into the playoffs when they went to the second round that one year. He had amazing chemistry with Moulson, they got rid of him.

No real arena for another 2-3 years. He is gonna be splitting his season between the dump that is the Brooklyn arena and a somewhat renovated Nassau? He'll be 30-31 by the time that new arena is done. Anyway, lots of factors for all teams, i still feel JT being the loyal guy he is will end up re-signing in NYI. But we're getting close.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I don't mean to be offensive to Isles fans, but why would he sign with them? He can get the same money or more elsewhere, the team isn't going to compete until the tail end of his career and it's not as if he's a local. He's shown more than enough loyalty until now, i don't know what incentive there is to stay around aside from the 8th year.

I mean, he has spent his entire adult life there. He would have to be real weirdo not to have made enough connections for it to also feel like home.

Reactions: vanwest

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
If Tavares signs a deal worth 11M AAV with the Maple Leafs, he actually gets paid $14,500,000 and change, since contracts are based on USD, and Canadian teams need to pay their players in CAD.

Not a huge difference, because the exchange rate is obviously based on "the power of a dollar" but it's interesting nonetheless

No, not really.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Listen...that’s completely irrelevant...no matter where he signs, he is paid on a rate based on USD correct? So if he were to sign with any of those other franchises, that money translates just the same when exchanging it.

So arguing that he’s actually making more because of the exchange rate isn’t applicable. If he signed for the same 11 mil a year in NY then he can go to Toronto if that is truly where he decides to raise his family in spite of playing elsewhere, and the 11 mil exchanges to the CAD rate just the same, he doesn’t need to live in Canada to get that perk if you even want to call it that, he could even do so at a lower taxed rate so no matter how you cut it the base salary will always be higher elsewhere. I can’t imagine the money is the only factor or possibly even the driving one here but the exchange number doesn’t mean anything as it’s universal and not just in Toronto

I literally said it's not that big of a difference due to the power of a dollar, but thanks for the rant :laugh:

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Is it fair to assume that if he's going back to new york, he's doing it by Saturday night? Waiting until 12PM on sunday and then signing back but losing a year with the islanders is stupid, no?

Macch

Mar 22, 2010

It would certainly soften the blow if he does decide to leave. don't know how much more the Isles could've done to keep him

Bonzo111

Leafs Fan
Oct 31, 2017
Canaderp
It would certainly soften the blow if he does decide to leave. don't know how much more the Isles could've done to keep him
they def have a plan to find a goaltender which they will share with JT as well. they're in good shape on this IMO

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
If JT isn't signed by 11pm Saturday the final hour leading up to midnight will be hilarious in here. :laugh:

Dr Danglefest

Lindros|Giroux|Krug
May 29, 2010
THE SouthShore, MASS
I literally said it's not that big of a difference due to the power of a dollar, but thanks for the rant :laugh:

What’s not that big of a difference...my “rant” was pointing out that whatever the translation to CAD that he will get is irrelevant because he can convert his money no matter where he signs into CAD if he wants to... so there’s no argument to be made that once you convert the USD to CAD he’d be making out better in any way.

Unless your post was somehow saying that whatever he is “actually making in Canadian Dollars” makes no difference which if it did I really misread the post

Edit: I’d like to add I’ve seen numerous posts saying “well if Toronto offers him 11 mil it’s actually 14.5 or whatever it is, so he’d actually be making out better after the exchange” your post was just the most recent that seemed to fall in line with that ideaology so i quoted it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad