News: Tavares to Explore Market - To Speak with 5 teams: TODAY IS THE DAY (Mod Warning in #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Wouldn’t that be a form of CBA circumvention? Is that even allowed? Yea the team acquiring his rights would be the team that owns him, but it’s not the original team that he’s signing with and there fore would only be allowed 7 years, no?

I think the idea is that it would be a true "sign and trade" in that Tavares would sign an 8-year contract with the New York Islanders before midnight and the Islanders would then trade the newly signed Tavares to the Leafs (or whoever).

The Leafs (or whoever) would get Tavares on an 8-year deal and the Islanders would get some small compensation. Maybe they'd like Matt Martin back?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
To Toronto:
Tavares signed 8 years, 11 per

To Isles:
First Round Pick '19, '20
Rights to Aaltonen
Garret Sparks

I do wonder if part of what's going on is Lou's refusing to do a sign-and-trade, and Tavares's new team is trying to make it happen.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
I'm beginning to think a sign and trade is a real possibility. Why else would there be no news yet? Unless he picked a team and there are no leaks which is also a possibility.

If he told the Islanders that he is not returning Lou might be trying to get some assets out of it versus nothing.

Thinking about it, there is still a strong possibility that he is staying with the Islanders, and they are still debating the contract details. I wouldn't put it past Lou to use every second he has before making the deal.

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
I'm in this thread because it's supposed to be about John Tavares. A player I am a big fan of. But it seems that the Leaf fans have turned it into their own little circle jerk instead.

I have just as much a right to be in this thread as you.

Remember when your city lost their team and you guys cried every day. At least we know what a cup finals feels like.

Leaf fans can ask their great gta fathers what the finals feels like.

The Canucks fan cries out in pain as he strikes you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad