Tavares return to Long Island

Status
Not open for further replies.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Dan O'Toole just made a great point on Jay and Dan. The Islanders fans call JT pajama boy, but you cannot see his pajamas...he is under Maple Leafs blankets right up to his neck.

Not the brightest of folks over there.

Not bright, but very entitled. They think Tavares owes lifetime servitude to them, but not to his own wife. His wife is from Toronto. How dare he choose his wife over the fans!

They should’ve set him up with a local girl if they wanted a chance to keep him.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Not bright, but very entitled. They think Tavares owes lifetime servitude to them, but not to his own wife. His wife is from Toronto. How dare he choose his wife over the fans!

They should’ve set him up with a local girl if they wanted a chance to keep him.

They have the right to be upset he left, I can't fault them for that. Its the fact they think he owes them anything and that they are acting like children about this.

The guy who made the video was on the radio this morning saying that his opinion is he doesn't care JT left and wishes him the best. It's sports and thats how things go. players leave and you move on.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If it is true that Dubas and Co. convinced JT to come to T.O at the time of the presentation, Isles fans have nothing to complain about. If he misled them and was coming home a along I can see why they would be pissed. Think Chris Bosch but with a little less venom. They should actually be thanking JT because they are in 1st place without him :)

Reactions: CincoHolio

kevynadams42

May 2, 2010
This, unfortunately is the way I fear it playing out. That game, the whole organization has something to prove to it's small but faithful followers. From management right on down to the fans. They all have some sort of chip on their shoulders and much of it directed firmly at our beloved Leafs.

Sometimes the weight off the pressure causes the ankles to buckle.

Not entirely similar, but the Leafs (in a playoff position at the time) laid an enormous egg losing 5-0 on a Saturday night at home to Montreal (below the Leafs in the standings) on the night they honored/retired Sundin's 13.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Not so sure that was not having his back. That was the second game of a back to back after the Christmas break. It happens.
You just set up their excuse for Thursday. Another loss to the Islanders because it is back to back game with our Leafs playing the Oilers tonight! Good job! It happens alright.

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
I expect a blow out even with Andersen in our net! The Islanders are going to play way over their heads, and, their pay scales to show up Tavares and his Leaf teammates. Book it.

The disadvantage for us in this game is that it is our second of B2B and we have to travel to the East Coast inbetween while they will be well rested after losing to Calgary yesterday.

Reactions: Al14

kevynadams42

May 2, 2010
The disadvantage for us in this game is that it is our second of B2B and we have to travel to the East Coast inbetween while they will be well rested after losing to Calgary yesterday.

I think this is the most overhyped thing ever. I had dinner with an NHL coach a little while ago (a few days before his team was set to host the Leafs in what was a back to back for the Leafs). He told me that he would rather be the team that played the night before than the team that was off.

Also, travel to the east coast? New York is a 55 minute flight from Toronto. Assuming the Leaf game ends by 9:50 tonight, the Leafs will be in bed before 1.

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
Sometimes the weight off the pressure causes the ankles to buckle.

Not entirely similar, but the Leafs (in a playoff position at the time) laid an enormous egg losing 5-0 on a Saturday night at home to Montreal (below the Leafs in the standings) on the night they honored/retired Sundin's 13.

Good example. Not entirely similar as you say, but close enough - especially when comparing fanbase "let-down factor". Any way it gets sliced, it will be a tough game regardless of the circumstances. NYI are a good team and play a style that suppresses our strengths.

kevynadams42

May 2, 2010
Good example. Not entirely similar as you say, but close enough. Any way it gets sliced, it will be a tough game regardless of the circumstances. NYI are a good team and play a style that suppresses our strengths.

No doubt. But they also dont score. At all. And while their style of play makes this the kind of game that you think might mirror the game in Phoenix, I think the excitement and energy is going to cause their players to want to play hero and break the system. If that happens, and the Leafs exploit it, it can be over fast.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
While I do sympathize with Islanders fans a bit, losing franchise players in their prime would sting, I believe most have moved on. They are doing well, and have a good future.

John has also moved on, and earned the right to make his decision, like any person would if they were offered a dream position. John has respect for the Island, but I am sure his life is just fine.

Hometown
SUPER hot wife
Loads of cash to sleep on
Endorsements
Love from every fan in our market, guy prob doesn't pay for a meal in this town lol

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Islanders fan Kimmy Moisa

Wow this is hilarious and sad.

All those videos man... OMFG, the cringe.

giphy.gif

KitchenSink

Dec 3, 2018
Toronto fans making fun of the Islanders fans for being upset about Taveres leaving is kind of hypocritical. Toronto fans in every sport other than hockey are always getting upset about players leaving for bigger organizations or not signing with us.

Most notably Vince Carter. Some Raptors fans are still holding a grudge against the guy from all the way back in 2004. I'll admit most fans are now understanding but he is still a controversial player in the teams history. The hatred was real when it happened, fans burned jerseys and he was heavily boo'ed when he played in Toronto. Same goes for Chris Bosh to a lesser extent.

I too think its juvenile to burn jerseys and hate a player who performed well for your team and enjoyed the city while he was there. But people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. I understand their passion and disappointment in what happened. They will eventually get over it and once again appreciate what he did for the Islanders while he was there. Vince finally got cheers in appreciation in Toronto, even if it took until his retirement tour.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Dan O'Toole just made a great point on Jay and Dan. The Islanders fans call JT pajama boy, but you cannot see his pajamas...he is under Maple Leafs blankets right up to his neck.

Not the brightest of folks over there.

Even if he did have pajamas on, wtf kind of insult is that? Yeah, children wear pajamas... wtf?

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Someone should post this on the Isles board.

The Islanders know more about losing franchise players than most teams' fans. Palffy, LaFontaine, Turgeon, hell even Bryan Trottier. Some left on good terms and some on bad but they all received a very warm welcome (and continue to do so) when they returned. Tavares will be different because of how he chose to leave. For over a year he talked about how he expects to remain an Islander his entire career and hasn't thought about playing anywhere else. Then after keeping everyone waiting even past the actually deadline, he pulls the rug from under them and says it was his dream all along top play for the Leafs. And took less money to boot. Holy cow what a gut punch. He also put the Islanders in a pickle in terms of a them not being able to pursue "plan B" until he made up his mind (after the trade deadline and after free agency began). Yes he earned the right to test the market (no one is begrudging him of that) and yes he gave it his all for the Islanders (any rational Islander fan knows this). It's how it all went down that made Islanders fans (understandably) angry.

As far as Thursday's game goes, much ado about nothing in my opinion. I doubt there's any animosity between the players. He still has friends on the team and I'm sure they will welcome him and probably have dinner together. Most fans will be upset and boo. I expect the video tribute to not go over very well but I don't think we'll see any violence or any extreme behavior.

For Leaf fans going wearing blue and white obviously you know you will draw negative attention to yourselves. If you wear a Leaf JT jersey even more so. I just hope that outside of some good natured (albeit profanity-laced) ribbing, you're not treated too badly. It's just a game for crying out loud. 99% get this. Your 1% gives your fanbase a pretty poor reputation as well.

Here's to a good game.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
JT was a great Islander. Obviously didnt end on the best of terms, so I would say let Islander fans boo him and get it out. Its still kind of a heat of the moment thing, I think, despite the decision coming in July. I dont think you'll find too many Islander fans that would genuinely blame the teams failures on JT when he was there.

I think they will eventually come around and realize he was a great Islander who gave it his all when he was there. I look at it the same way Raptor fans treated Vince Carter. Got boo'd, but eventually everyone came around and realized how impactful he was for the Raptors and now he gets a standing ovation every time he's here.

Reactions: KitchenSink

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Toronto fans making fun of the Islanders fans for being upset about Taveres leaving is kind of hypocritical. Toronto fans in every sport other than hockey are always getting upset about players leaving for bigger organizations or not signing with us.

Most notably Vince Carter. Some Raptors fans are still holding a grudge against the guy from all the way back in 2004. I'll admit most fans are now understanding but he is still a controversial player in the teams history. The hatred was real when it happened, fans burned jerseys and he was heavily boo'ed when he played in Toronto. Same goes for Chris Bosh to a lesser extent.

I too think its juvenile to burn jerseys and hate a player who performed well for your team and enjoyed the city while he was there. But people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. I understand their passion and disappointment in what happened. They will eventually get over it and once again appreciate what he did for the Islanders while he was there. Vince finally got cheers in appreciation in Toronto, even if it took until his retirement tour.

It's not about being upset it's about the people who are making threats against Leafs fans, JT and his wife. Be upset, but don't take it too far.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton

Vince quit on his team and asked to leave.

Tavares played his ass off until the final buzzer.

Tavares had no choice but to let free agency play out as a player approaching free agency.

NYI had the choice to trade the guy who wouldn't re-sign with them.

Carter's play and attitude killed his trade value. Tavares signed the biggest UFA contract in the NHL.

The 2 situations are nothing alike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad