Tavares Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
He was the only top 6 forward over 50% possession vs the Coyotes, and had the third best xGF% on the team. Another very solid game.

Reactions: saffronleaf

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
With the Leafs pp under Keefe, there's no reason why Tavares can't be a 80-90 point franchise C for at least a few more seasons regardless of wingers at even strength. Center depth is vital to success. Matthews and Tavares are the two most untouchable pieces on this team IMO. This team will go as far as they take them in this season and future ones.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Do we like him again? Is it safe to come into this thread?
Bottom line you know how it is with fans. When the numbers look good no one says a word. When he stops producing he becomes slow again. But bottom line he was always slow. Fact is he is faster now then his rookie year. But my point was he played hard on puck in a game where he was under the weather. He dressed. That shows leadership. Whether or not he produced is a different question entirely.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I guess you can say it was the right call when Tavares was called for tripping Miro Heiskanen at the start of the 3rd period and Seguin's power play goal made the difference, however I thought to myself that Tavares might have got a break from the refs since he's a veteran and Heiskanen is still a young player. I mean against Arizona late in the 3rd period Matthews was tripped off the faceoff and no penalty was called, than seconds later they call one on Zach Hyman.

Twowingcantfly

Jul 4, 2019
People saying Tavares is regressing as a player are clearly out to lunch, but at the same time, there’s no reason not to be critical of him when he’s not performing well enough. I get what people are saying about him not being the flashiest of superstars, but for a large part of the season it looked like he had lost a step and he wasn’t winning nearly as many board battles as he normally does. Despite what his stats might say, he hasn’t looked like the player he did last year for much of this season.

That being said, he seems to be getting back into his groove. Tonight was a good reminder of what he can look like when he’s at his most dominant. I’m hopeful it’s a sign of things to come - I still wonder if that injury’s been bothering him for a large chunk of the year
He still need to get to the bench faster as not to get a minus whenever the opposition rushing the other way.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
He was great tonight, but he still has the same tendency to overwork situations. Example: In the first period he had Willy wide open in the slot set for a one timer. Instead of threading the pass past the Sens player - which he could have - he tried to pull the defender towards him first, presumably to give Nylander more time and space. But by the time he achieved this, the chance was gone. We got a low-to-high pass instead that amounted to nothing.

He does that quite a lot this year and it's getting a bit annoying.

Reactions: kb

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
What does everyone think of his captaincy so far?

We were supposed to take that next step but we've regressed as a team overall in his first year of leadership. Even, he, himself has regressed.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

We were supposed to take that next step but we've regressed as a team overall in his first year of leadership. Even, he, himself has regressed.

Tavares’ game has heated up lately which a relief to see but the captaincy just doesn’t seem like it’s in the right hands with him.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Part of the reason he's regressed in terms of his stats was missing those games when his finger was injured. He's still averaging the same points per game throughout his career, plus did anyone else expect him to score more than 47 goals and 88 points which he had last season?

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Part of the reason he's regressed in terms of his stats was missing those games when his finger was injured. He's still averaging the same points per game throughout his career, plus did anyone else expect him to score more than 47 goals and 88 points which he had last season?

He just noticeably looks slower on his skates and handling the puck as well.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Tavares had a kid and became 10% of the player he used to be.

Haven't noticed him on the ice for 50 games

stewpac

Nov 30, 2015
He plays like a guy not getting enough sleep, he’s still good but looks tired all the time

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It really says something when Jason Spezza is the one ragging the puck, diving to clear the puck, creating scoring chances, scoring goals, looking pissed and Tavares looks like the 36 year old on the $700,000 one year deal.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It really says something when Jason Spezza is the one ragging the puck, diving to clear the puck, creating scoring chances, scoring goals, looking pissed and Tavares looks like the 36 year old on the $700,000 one year deal.
Tonight was far from Tavares fault when you look at the overall play of the whole team.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It's never any one guy's fault. But when you are paid $11 million and they pin the 'C' on you, you better not be doing nothing.
The way you mentioned how Spezza was good tonight, he also took their 3rd penalty leading to another Pittsburgh goal against and by that time they were 0/2 on the penalty kill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad