Tavares considered Bruins 'quite a bit' before signing with Maple Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Seriously, it has been a year, let it go. Why do some of you even care what other fans think about his motivations for signing with Toronto or how transparent he was?

Reactions: Terrible GM

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Why is this being made such a big deal in this thread? I thought it was pretty well known that Toronto, Boston and NYI were the last in the running but Toronto was always the heavy favorite. Toronto and Boston are playing each other so obviously a reporter is going to ask him a question about last summer... I'm sure Boston offered something(s) he liked but in the end it made more sense to go back home for an equally competitive team and for probably more money. I thought the article was a pretty nice showing of mutual respect between the two sides.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
I mean, what do you want him to say. I'm sure someone in the media asked him the question about how much he considered joining them considering, 1. It was highly publicized they had a meeting with him, and 2. They're playing head to head in the playoffs.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
sure he did, there was one team he considered going to and it was all a ruse to get the most money from that team, I guess he is not going to come out and admit it so he is going to have to stick to his lie forever

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Why is this being made such a big deal in this thread? I thought it was pretty well known that Toronto, Boston and NYI were the last in the running but Toronto was always the heavy favorite. Toronto and Boston are playing each other so obviously a reporter is going to ask him a question about last summer... I'm sure Boston offered something(s) he liked but in the end it made more sense to go back home for an equally competitive team and for probably more money. I thought the article was a pretty nice showing of mutual respect between the two sides.

1.) he plays for the Leafs and hating on the Leafs is an easy way to get likes

2.) Isles fans are super pissed he left and despite all their repeated claims to be over him they’re not remotely close to moving on.

This was a pretty routine comment and article about a high profile free agent who is playing against a team he almost joined. But hey, it must be part of some huge Tavares PR conspiracy because I’m sure Tavares definitely cared what HF has to say about not him.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Makes sense, Boston right now would also be a good team to join
If they're already a contender this season, imagine them with Tavares

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I think it was

1) TOR
2) NYI

Everyone else grouped together.

Sharks offered 13 million and he didn't seem too care. Theres a reason he only met with 5 or 6 teams --> they were the only ones he'd consider.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Clearly this wasn't part of the offer Sweeney made:
prod_19231730212

In all seriousness, I'm not sure Boston would have been able to offer him as much cash as Toronto..and if we had, then I'm not sure we'd be where we are, because we were able spend more at the trade deadline than we have been, and we have more flexibility in the coming years. Conversely, Toronto seems to have the cap space, and Tavares fits their system quite well. I think, ultimately, it worked out well for Boston and Toronto.

Plus, our top line of Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak is locked in at a cool $19.67M. How perfect is that?

Reactions: MattMartin

Golden Puppers

Mar 20, 2019
No one:

John Tavares: yeah so a lot of teams wanted me in the off season

Read the article and get your facts straight. A) Tavares' camp met with Boston camp before signing with Toronto B) These are media people asking him these non-sense questions.

Just another thread to shit on Tavares and the Leafs on the mainboards. A total non-story.

Reactions: DirkStraun

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Exactly and those are the teams you have to face early on thus making their position worse

But while you have a couple tougher matchups you also have a bunch of easier matchups to counter it.

Just doing the averages

The Average team in the Metro got 92 points, not counting the Islanders the other 7 teams averaged 90.43 points

The Average team in the Atlantic got 91.38 points, not counting the Leafs the other 7 teams averaged 90.14 points

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
It’s Toronto fans obsession with trying to clear his name and say he was genuine with the islanders all along.
Don't really cares what the Islander fans think. I don't care what the Boston fans think but it was an interesting article and it doesn't surprise me. The Bruins have a top notch organization and they clearly impressed him. He must have really wanted out

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
But while you have a couple tougher matchups you also have a bunch of easier matchups to counter it.

Just doing the averages

The Average team in the Metro got 92 points, not counting the Islanders the other 7 teams averaged 90.43 points

The Average team in the Atlantic got 91.38 points, not counting the Leafs the other 7 teams averaged 90.14 points

Thing is though, it's harder with tough matchups early on. But that's just the way it is and how the current cycle of teams is going. I honestly hate this format and not just because Leafs struggle against Boston but I find it boring. They are locked in against the same teams yearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad